Well, this is not like my previous Nordwind 2 a total remake, but just a big bug fix and features addition release, as you can see by reading the changelog below. I like this map, like few others from the 1944 series, but I’m not going to do this for all ^^’ I played Antwerp a while ago, I feel it deserves something to balance the Sniper Fest of the second part of the map, plus usual 1944 spawn issues, but maybe something in the future but not now.
PART I - 1944 Huertgen Forest (Final 2)
1944: Huertgen Forest was thickly wooded, cut by steep defiles and trails. The Axis built deep, artillery-proof bunkers, surrounded by fighting positions.
AXIS - The Allies are attempting to steal valuable supplies from the Axis Truckyard, stop them at all costs!
ALLIES - The Axis Truckyard contains valuable supplies. We must secure them to claim victory in the Forest!
All credits goes to +KOMMANDO+, the maker of the 1944 Wolfenstein Enemy Territory awesome map series, even if they're all bugged the level design and the objective are various and well placed.
> Final 2
* Added Locations file.
* Advanced Light compilation.
* Terrain has smoothed shadows now.
* Every custom texture has a shader now.
* No more "holes" in the middle of the map.
* Some Clip added on map sides to avoid any stuckage.
* Fixed players possibly stuck when exiting the Wooden Bunker MG.
* Wooden barrier near Axis Bunker Spawn isn't weapon-clipped anymore.
* Sun appears correctly now. Shader was textures/1944_beach/beach_sun...
* Fixed spawns (Flags on Command Map, and players spawning inside the crates).
* Corrected the map coordonates, even if it's obvious the CM is older than the actual map...
* Added a ladder near solid Bridge so people doesn't need to swim and get hurt to exit this area.
* Replaced triangles probably cut with CSG Substrast by normal triangles, for easier brush manipulation.
* Removed unused textures, all are now in a single folder different from original map to avoid any conflict.
* The "map exists", where you steal the Tank and the Truck, have been decored with Fuel Dump entrance door (Allied Spawn).
* Since the map was made from EasyGen (terrain0, etc), I used SimonOC tutorials about terrain blending to obtain the same
without any .PCX file (Link at the bottom); But I had to deal with few locations where 3 textures were meeting.
- Objective Narrative & Mecanisms
* Added Objective/Spawn cameras.
* Fixed contruction crates and AT-Gun clips.
* Added Axis Ammo Room icon on Command Map for Allies.
* Added Axis North Path icon on Command Map for Allies.
* Added Truckyard Gate icon on Command Map for both teams.
* Added decayed final part for Axis North Path, so after a while the construction will disappear...
* The AT-Gun, while destroyed, will now emit smoke; Very noticeable in distance, letting Allies know when the way is free.
* Added Artillery Blast Area icon on Command Map for both teams, so Allies know where it triggers and Axis when to use it.
- Tank & Truck Related Stuff
* Added Truck Smoke.
* If by any chance an Allied guy get inside the Truck area before Tank blow up the gate,
the Truck is no more escortable until the gate explodes.
* Clip above Truck area removed; Axis can destroy the Truck when they want.
* Added Tank turret animation (Turning + Shooting + trigger_hurt on trajectory).
* Fixed Truck position decay on map start, avoiding any teleporting'n'killing issue.
* No more "You are near the Truck" on the hill left from the Truck, moved away the related entity.
* Tank and Truck will stop often, since more splines have been added, and spline controls (+33 for Tank, +X for Truck).
* Caulked more surfaces.
* Added Hint/Skip (There were nothing in original).
* Put a lot of Caulk structural brushes inside the mountains and hills, and removed the visible ones.
* Base, sky and sides were made of plenty caulk brushes... Everything is plane now, a lot less brushes.
* Optimized T-Junctions (Thanks ailmanki for the link, and Ifurita for the tutorial, see link at the bottom).
Thank you to all the SD users and the friends who have helped me so far, dFx, Tardis, KeMon+, ailmanki, Rebel, Genert (Or Indloon, whatever :P), acQu (For you I can’t remember the previous nick… But I know you changed! x)) and all others not quoted here but present in the text file, both included in ZIP and PK3 files
If you spot any bug/glitch/exploit, if you're unhappy with a change or several I made, just post feedback here, it will be very welcome!
I would like to share ideas about a possible remake of this map, because I think Axis are too powerful on the first map, spawning 5 meters from the Tank, and Allies not having all the time an alternative way to attack.
- Map layout: I think as it is, there will be no miracle… I bet on a new map layout, allowing Allies 2 or 3 ways to attack objectives. Also, using only core textures (Fuel Dump snow), and maybe fog plus falling snow like on Railgun. The first ma part as it is, a straight view from Axis spawn to Bridge, is a great disadvantage for Allies: Axis can call arty, or even hide a mortar in the nearly Forest, maybe forcing Allies to take the North Path… With an other Axis spawn just in front. Even if it allows Allies to destroy the AT-Gun, remove the Bunker Spawn by destroying the Ammo Room, and spawn at CP after building it (This only if Axis doesn’t react after the North Path get destroyed), I think it’s too unbalanced.
- A real forest, deep, leveled, with the possibility to sneak or hide (Yourself… or landmines).
- First part: redesign the location around Tank, I would like to make an [Couper du bois trololol], the “house” would be bigger, teams would spawn above ground.
- Tank stolen: Axis would spawn in the house at the right of the solid Bridge when you face the North. There would be a Tank Barrier a bit before, maybe at the second “house”, which seems to be an underground cave. Like first part, the house would be bigger, with unbreakable windows like for Nordwind2: see what it happening, if Allies are there/if Axis spawned, without SK. The spawn would be disabled when the Tank will pass the Barrier, and will turn Allied when the Truck would reach the solid Bridge.
- Command Post: Deeper, maybe behind a hill; Like other building, planned to make teams spawn inside and not at ground level, with unbreakable windows. Maybe, like on Radar, just have it Neutral and enable a spawn only for Allies?
- Bunker would be almost the same. I want it more [discret] in a forest environment.
- Axis will spawn in a Guard Post on a mountain when Truck will reach the Bunker (Nor longer the Ammo Room to control this spawn); Maybe turn it to Allies, but I think it would be too close.
- Also, I think about removing the Axis North Path.
- The Anti-Tank Gun would have health (So destroyable by grenades) and would be repairable.
- Water would not make damage, but the stream will be strong, and getting in the bushes would turn into gibs any human taken into it…
That’s it… What’s next? 1944 Nordwind 2.1 (Thanks again for the huge feedback and advices!)… and a new map. From scratch.