RtCW Vs. Wolfenstein

(PuNkReAS*) #1

http://forums.rtcwgc.net/index.php?topic=974.0

(PuNkReAS*) #2

Link updated.

(PuNkReAS*) #3

Link updated.

(ronboy) #4

Nice comparison, tzs. It shows how much Rtcw is better than Wolfenstein 2009.

(PuNkReAS*) #5

Thanks ronboy :slight_smile:

(.Chris.) #6

I still maintain that the Single Player of Wolfenstein sucked more than the Multi Player, though that’s not to say the MP was brilliant either.

At work so not watched the videos but here is my take.

Single Player

The SP started off quite promising at the train station. Was some nice action taking place with people getting thrown about and suspended in midair due to that veil stuff in the barrels as you tried to make your escape. Set the scene for the game quite well I thought. However once you escape you’re in a disappointing town area that acts as the Hub for the sequential missions that follow meaning you have to go through this town after each mission, respawning enemies and all that crap each time doesn’t help.

The missions themselves were terrible, very linear and all you had to do was follow the ‘COD star’, there was no incentive to deviate from the main routes to find treasure to upgrade your weapons as the weapons were pretty powerful as they stood, the veil powers and the veil weapons introduced later were over powered also. They ran out of interesting ways to use the veil after the first few missions, it was just the same crap each level just with a different location.

They had all the pieces in place to make quite a nice single player campaign but it was implemented poorly. Also it was really strange how similar their ideas were that of my Battle of Wolken story I was planning to do for a single player mod for the game, experimental weapons, strange new energy source, alternate world etc etc.

Multi Player

First of all W:ET was great and all (Never really played RTCW MP) but it was really frustrating that when Wolfenstein was announced that people simply hoped for ET or RTCW2, the game was going to get a beating from the start though it didn’t exactly do much to help it’s own cause.

Reducing the classes to only 3 was quite a gamble, I think because the of the style of the maps used it worked really well in the end. There wasn’t much to be gained by having a field ops or covert ops, artillery and air strikes would have totally spoiled the open areas with all the spam associated with those.

The veil abilities for the classes were actually rather nice in my opinion aside from the soldier’s. The medic could make healing pools that acted bit like supply crates in ET:QW but just for health. The engineer could speed boost for a short while which was great for doc run maps, it would only last long enough to either reach the objective, so you had to pick if to use it to grab the docs, or to escape with the docs. The soldier got a veil strike which was like a mini air strike of magic, though it was pretty useless and barely did any damage and was easy to dodge.

Back to the maps, for the most part they were well done in my opinion. Bank, Hospital, Rooftops and Manor all providing some nice action. They mostly only contained two stages as well which was quite refreshing after playing W:ET and ET:QW, was good to play some shorter intense matches.Quite a few people complained about the player speed whilst it could have been made slightly faster, having it at ET speed would have seriously messed up the maps as they were quite small.

Hit registration was just as bad as ET:QWs and should have been fixed but considering how many developers the game got passed on to, this was never going to happen. Same for the UI, it was pretty crap, the server browser was terrible and the HUD was all over the place, not as bad as Brink’s though.

Anyway the MP was rather fun but had lots of flaws, the biggest problem with it though? It was called Wolfenstein.

(Ruben0s) #7

I only played the leaked multiplayer of Wolfenstein 2009. I had a lot of fun playing it with my ET buddies, but the game had some major flaws, which chris already mentioned. That was enough for me to cancel my pre-order and dream about another game aka Brink :<

RTCW was my first FPS singleplayer game. I was 8/9 years old and scared like **** when I played the game. I had some pretty intense nightmares.

(ronboy) #8

[QUOTE=.Chris.;400909]I still maintain that the Single Player of Wolfenstein sucked more than the Multi Player, though that’s not to say the MP was brilliant either.

At work so not watched the videos but here is my take.

Single Player

The SP started off quite promising at the train station. Was some nice action taking place with people getting thrown about and suspended in midair due to that veil stuff in the barrels as you tried to make your escape. Set the scene for the game quite well I thought. However once you escape you’re in a disappointing town area that acts as the Hub for the sequential missions that follow meaning you have to go through this town after each mission, respawning enemies and all that crap each time doesn’t help.

The missions themselves were terrible, very linear and all you had to do was follow the ‘COD star’, there was no incentive to deviate from the main routes to find treasure to upgrade your weapons as the weapons were pretty powerful as they stood, the veil powers and the veil weapons introduced later were over powered also. They ran out of interesting ways to use the veil after the first few missions, it was just the same crap each level just with a different location.

They had all the pieces in place to make quite a nice single player campaign but it was implemented poorly. Also it was really strange how similar their ideas were that of my Battle of Wolken story I was planning to do for a single player mod for the game, experimental weapons, strange new energy source, alternate world etc etc.

Multi Player

First of all W:ET was great and all (Never really played RTCW MP) but it was really frustrating that when Wolfenstein was announced that people simply hoped for ET or RTCW2, the game was going to get a beating from the start though it didn’t exactly do much to help it’s own cause.

Reducing the classes to only 3 was quite a gamble, I think because the of the style of the maps used it worked really well in the end. There wasn’t much to be gained by having a field ops or covert ops, artillery and air strikes would have totally spoiled the open areas with all the spam associated with those.

The veil abilities for the classes were actually rather nice in my opinion aside from the soldier’s. The medic could make healing pools that acted bit like supply crates in ET:QW but just for health. The engineer could speed boost for a short while which was great for doc run maps, it would only last long enough to either reach the objective, so you had to pick if to use it to grab the docs, or to escape with the docs. The soldier got a veil strike which was like a mini air strike of magic, though it was pretty useless and barely did any damage and was easy to dodge.

Back to the maps, for the most part they were well done in my opinion. Bank, Hospital, Rooftops and Manor all providing some nice action. They mostly only contained two stages as well which was quite refreshing after playing W:ET and ET:QW, was good to play some shorter intense matches.Quite a few people complained about the player speed whilst it could have been made slightly faster, having it at ET speed would have seriously messed up the maps as they were quite small.

Hit registration was just as bad as ET:QWs and should have been fixed but considering how many developers the game got passed on to, this was never going to happen. Same for the UI, it was pretty crap, the server browser was terrible and the HUD was all over the place, not as bad as Brink’s though.

Anyway the MP was rather fun but had lots of flaws, the biggest problem with it though? It was called Wolfenstein.[/QUOTE]

You forgot to mention they didn’t release a SDK. This game had potential, but in the end it failed. :frowning:

(vicpas) #9

Videos about this subject:
Part1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sY32fRacgl0
Part2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNPLLF8VJtk

(ronboy) #10

Anders Basymowski discovered 2 old mods for Wolfenstein 2009! If you have this game, and you want it to be more like Rtcw, then check my website for more information: http://goo.gl/5zwE05

(ronboy) #11

Anders Basymowski has discovered another old mod for Wolfenstein 2009 called Wolfenstein 2009 skinpack + texmod! The download link is on my website here: http://goo.gl/G2IagD

(ronboy) #12

Yo$hik has uploaded a playthrough for Wolfenstein 2009! You can watch it on my website here: https://goo.gl/b77gGL