Shootmania Storm

(light_sh4v0r) #1

This looks like it could be a very cool game. Instagib arena-style FPS with projectile weapons and hopefully quick movement.

//youtu.be/AokX-7VnHwE

(Violator) #2

That looks awesome esp. the detail on the ruins - miss the old Q2 instagib days :frowning:

(Runeforce) #3

Slightly off-topic, but have you guys tried out Xonotic yet? It’s a quake-style game (with lots of game modes, including vehicle combat) and best of all, it’s free software (GPL style.) It’s the direct descendant to Nexuiz (which was abandonded late 2009 when the name went commercial.)
This video features one of the smaller in-door maps, with no vehicles or flyers, in TDM mode.

//youtu.be/leMVrAM8F3Y

(MoonOnAStick) #4

Certainly looks spiffy. I’ve got a lot of time for trackmania and quake3 so a mash-up ought to be super. I do worry that they’ll only sell through their website again. There aren’t many full trackmania 2 servers, which is ok because latency isn’t an issue for their no-clip-style racing, but it would completely kill an FPS.

(BMXer) #5

The recent tournament for Shootmania was fun to watch. Made me want to give this game a serious look. Its great to see a PC game built for competition right out of the box. :wink: If anyone has an extra alpha invite, hit me up!

(tokamak) #6

Looks awesome!

(DarkangelUK) #7

The game mode seems weird, 1 attacking person with instagib and 3 armour points against 3 defenders with rocket launchers and 1 armour point. There’s a few tourneys on youtube, kinda hoping there’s more, faster gametypes like the trailer shows.

(tokamak) #8

They don’t have enough people to host larger games. I like the asymmetry already, I’m curious how that scales up to the ‘massive fps’.

This game is just inspired. Finally a developer sat down and asked the question ‘what do these loud hardcore gamers really want?’ and then made a game for that niche. The game looks alright but up close the graphics are really simple to keep the performance high. The community support is promising to be phenomenal with complete network support, machinima tools and a map editor right of the bat.

Thank you Ubisoft, now apply the same model to R6.

(DarkangelUK) #9

The tournament was against a ‘multitude of well-known teams’ so there were plenty there for larger teams. I’m not sure the ‘loud hardcore gamers’ would be asking for 3v1, which is why I’m more than sure that this is just a show-off game type and more will follow soon. It’s certainly different anyway and i’ll give it a go for sure, but if I saw a server list full of different game modes, this wouldn’t be my 1st choice.

Btw the tourney final is in 3.5hrs (7:30pm BST) http://www.twitch.tv/shootmaniastorm

(tokamak) #10

If I were to create a game in this era I would simply pit a couple of Q3/Unreal characters versus an entire team of COD/BF3 soldiers. Give one team extreme agility and wacky weapons but with limited intell and teamwork capacity (like no mini-map and even worse, no team-indicators in the hud) and the other sluggish, realistic but with extremely tight team cohesion and advanced tactics (sure let them have kill-streak benefits and deployables/booby-traps).

Or give both teams the kill-streaks but let the arcadish team be rewarded in person (the weapon and health get a boost with each skill) and the soldiers receive team-wide benefits like air-support and whatnot.

Even the maps can be a weird hyhbrid of clichés from both genres. A ruined city in the middle-east in which the last bombardment has uncovered an ancient temple. A russian military base whom’s AA guns brought down a gigantic dragon so players can fight through it’s smoldering carcas as well as the military underground complex and hangars. Portals leading players back and forth between reality and ‘the arcade’ (hell even call the alternative dimension from which the quakers spawned ‘the arcade’).

There can be some cross pollonation between the teams. Of course power ups are spread through the maps, readily available to the arcaders, but weird random effects happen if the real soldiers pick them up (from double the effectiveness to seriously bad).

Just one game celebrating the shooter. A bitch to balance but a way of pleasing everyone without compromising on anything.

Pitch individualism against collectivism and you have fireworks.

(INF3RN0) #11

Although the game is fairly simple in terms of weaponry and game play, it’s more appealing as a classic style fps than pretty much everything else new- just aim and shoot you say!? Not to mention it comes with a complete set of features right out of the box? This game will surely be roflstompped by the likes of Q3 aim pros like Strenx, but I’d be interested to see what kind of future development the game will receive from it’s community. A pure aim fps to say the least (very loose teamwork by comparison), but that seems to be lacking these days.

(BMXer) #12

From what I have heard, this is just one simple game type the devs came up with to show how diverse and customizable the game can be. Apparently you can not only create your own maps but you can tweak the “scripts” to create your own game types. Just like Trackmania, its totally endless and you don’t have to be a coder to do it.

I read they are giving away beta keys to people at E3 so I would have to assume the beta is live and people who signed up online should start getting keys pretty soon. I’m look forward to it!

(MoonOnAStick) #13

Agree. It’s the map editor and the scripting language that make this game exciting. Not the particular rule set in those videos which doesn’t look that great. Hopefully it’s flexible enough that people will be able to (re)create more objective-oriented game types.

(SockDog) #14

Watched a good few hours of this tonight and it looks pretty nice, I agree with DA in that I hope there are more pub friendly modes to come but I’d snap this up for $20. I hope SD are paying attention to what this is bringing to the table.

Has there been any feedback on network performance?

(tokamak) #15

So right on my first day of summer holiday I received a beta invite :smiley:

(Dthy) #16

I have two, since I signed up with two emails :smiley: It’s good fun, but on UK servers everyone from the UK (at least when I was playing) seems to get 130+ ping…

(INF3RN0) #17

Just got into beta today and played a few games of “Cap Point??” or something. Also figured out how the replay editor worked (kinda) just now and was able to render out my 32 kill-spree (railcampstreak) highlight lol. Too bad the game mode had railgun platforms only or it would be more exciting :/, but I guess it’s because rail is OP (seeing as I had 80% of my team’s kills at the end). The game is like Quake without 99% of the learning curve (movement, weapons, items, etc), which actually caters to quake nabs like me, but I am willing to bet that it will develop a lot via mods+updates which should be awesome!

Here’s a pretty raw dump of my recording (w/ q3 sounds/modded xhair)- unfortunately replays don’t support the full HUD atm…

//youtu.be/uC_lokI3cSY

(Humate) #18

Nice vid inferno.

Seems like the damage model, offers no reason not to corner hug in this game.

(knechtFlaffi) #19

super boring movie…2 min on the same position against ami lowbobs on the first day of the open beta. be proud.

(INF3RN0) #20

Not a movie lol. Just a single killstreak dump off demo that got some attention. That’s what it looks like if you want to use a railgun though because you can’t move off the platform or it goes away. I got some pretty good mid-air rocket footage on replay today- will have to upload it later.