[RELEASE] 1944 Nordwind 2.0

(Mateos) #1

Hello,

I finally sorted this afternoon the Omni-Bot 0.8x waypoints, and I’m glad to release publicly the project I’m working on for almost 2 years, from my first steps in mapping to now

1944 Nordwind 2

The Axis are launching a surprise attack on allied forces. They are using a Jagdpanther to open the Truckyard Wall to allow an escape with the Allied gold!

Changelog

-------------------------------------------------
 Further development
-------------------------------------------------
> First Playable 4
	* Fixed flying stuff.
	* The fire hurts... yes.
	* Removed useless shaders.
	* Cleared existing shaders.
	* Converted few TGA to JPG.
	* Added smoke above house fire.
	* Added shaders for all new textures.
	* Fixed few non-working announcements.
	* Added Gold related events announcements (Taken/Lost/Returned/Secured).
	* brambles_2 is no more duplicated (brambles.md3 & brambles_6.md3), edited the MD3 so it points to textures/1944_nordwind/.

> First Playable 3
- General
	* Added Axis Win animation.
	* Added various ambient sounds.
	* Added few big bushes for gameplay.
	* Added a new Command Map (Thanks Tardis!).
	* Lanterns and lights are now solid, making metal sound while shot.
	* Added some details, such as decals (Paper, bushes on walls, leakings).
	* Added the locations file, adapted from antman's 1944 Nordwind locations file.
	* Added Truckyard icon on the Command Map (Thanks IndyJones for the tutorial), as well as a Tank Hint on it and debris.

* Lightmaps are 512x512 now.
	* Revised shaders quite a lot.
	* Fuel dumps provide the fuel for poels.
	* All buildings receive electricity from cables now.
	* Tweaked some textures so they make better shadows.
	* Removed the ambient lighting from Worldspawn, reworked lighting by the way.
	* Truckyard door is again Covert-protected, and the related room totally remade.
	* Replaced brushworked ramps by cylinders (Auto Phong Shading), and clipped them.
	* Players can't be stuck in windows or on buildings, some Clip added on these locations.
	* Disabled the first Allied spawn when Truck past the barrier to be sure no one spawn there, even new players joining.
	* Tweaked the .PCX so the Foliage is better reparted on the grass texture around the road and mountains...
	* ... But finally removed the Foliage shader and placed manually models like in original one, some to avoid spawnkill, some for quality.

- Objective Narrative & Mecanisms
	* Removed the Cracked Wall.
	* All events have wm_announce for bots easy scripting.
	* Reorganized the ojective narrative, based on Gold Rush objdata file.
	* The Allied Team Door of the Truckyard turns into normal door when Tank has destroyed the Gate.
	* Added the Warehouse Gate icon on Command Map for Allies, so they know if it is destroyed or not.
	* Made and added VO sounds for both teams to help following the objective. Used one or two from other maps
	  (Radar Summer VO for Tank Damaged for example), most of them are done with default VO edited with Audacity.
	* First Truck Barrier materials will appear during 5 seconds at the underconstruction state, so if somebody is there when
	  Tank has past it, he will notice something will happen very soon to him, and he have time to move out before the thing happens.

- Tank & Truck Related Stuff
	* Fixed Tank Build position.
	* Added Tank turret animation.
	* Added a second Truck Barrier.
	* Objective 2 cameras follow the Tank.
	* Objective 4 cameras follow the Truck.
	* Added some trigger_hurt from Tank cannon to Truckyard Gate, and around Truckyard Gate itself.
	* Added a Tank Barrier, barrier itself and materials can be used by both teams in a way or an other ;)
	* Tank breaks a wooden barrier near the Warehouse Gate while turning, for realism, like walls in Gold Rush.
	* Tank and Truck will stop often, since more splines have been added, and spline controls (+14 for Tank, +35 for Truck).

- Optimization
	* Caulked more surfaces.
	* Reduced Tiny Portals (51/72 -> 49/70).
	* Added some more Hint/Skip brushs.
	* Optimized T-Junctions (Thanks ailmanki for the link, and Ifurita for the tutorial, see link at the bottom).
	* Put a lot of Caulk structural brushes inside the mountains and hills: two times less portals, quick -VIS, more FPS.

> First Playable 2
- Fixes
	* Sky can be seen through windows now.
	* The ice pond is now solid, and slicks.
	* Fixed solid and build decays on the Tank.
	* Fixed/Added some texture and model shaders.
	* Fixed the custom generator skin not appearing with MD3 Viewer.
	* Fixed Warehouse Gate dynamite icon not disapearing while destroyed.
	* Fixed Warehouse Spawn not appearing (Forgot to edit the team_WOLF_objective in the script), and the possibility to move on.

- General
	* Retextured the terrain, so the snow_dirt fits the road.
	* Truck Barrier buildable on map start fixed, and is available earlier.
	* Roofs makes clanky foot steps noise, some textures make gravel noise.
	* Modified the ammo/health house near the Truck Barrier: Axis can no longer shoot from it to Allied Spawn;
	  Moved the back entrance to the left and replaced it by a non-breakable window: Axis can see Allies but can't shoot them.

- Optimization
	* Filled buildings with some Structural Caulk brushs to reduce the amount of portals generated.
	* Turned some objects into Detail brushes, cut with Clipper Tool many more.

- Additions
	* Added a tapir.
	* Added foliage (Shader + Manual placement) and trees.
	* Added some stuff around the map (Trucks, crates, ...).
	* Added a quick access to the top of the Tank Depot for Allies (New stairs).
	* Added the road for the Jagdpanther and Truck, using same textures as original map.
	* Added Clip brushes under tables and other objects, and behind Tank Depot, to avoid stuckage.
	* Added platforms and doors arount dumps for gameplay and realism (3 dumps, no access to have safety check?).

- Tests
	* Bumpmapped textures (Failed).
	* _lightmapscale 0.125 or 0.01 on some surfaces.
	* Added a test Hint brush in Axis Spawn, and few others.
	* Restored the original skybox, it seems to give the map a better atmosphere, with the Wurzburg Radar shader.

> First Playable 1
- General
	* Removed some Sky brushes in the middle of the map.
	* Smoothed hills, made some ones climbable.
	* Added some terrain modifications, like retexturing and new mountains.
	* Fixed spawn flags on Command Map, and some other icons.
	* Max players height is limited by a Clip brush to avoid trickjump.

- Tank
	* Fixed sound.
	* Fixed animations (STill need to add turret rotation and Tank firing).
	* Smoothed rotations.

- Truck
	* Fixed Truck running through the Truckyard Gate. It will wait for the Tank.
	* Added smoke while damaged.

- Axis Spawn
	* Axis are no longer spawning out of the building to avoid spawnkilling.
	* Increased interior size.
	* Added up to 32 spawn points.
	* Enlarged the two existing exits to let 2 players exit at once, to avoid play block
	* Added a third exit.

- Barn
	* Increased a lot it's size, and added some lighting inside.
	* Added an access to health and ammo cabs by a ladder.
	* Opened the house to let players get in. It has destructible windows.
	* Added a spawn for Allied team, available when the Truck past the Truck Barrier.
	* Roofs are slicked.

- Tank Depot
	* The Neutral Command Post has been changed to an Allied Command Post.
	* Increased the size of the Allied Spawn.
	* Openings are now windowed, non-destructible.
	* Enlarges the exit, put a double-Allied door, both doors open at once, and is Covert-Op protected.

- Allied Spawn
	* Increased a lot its size, by 3.
	* Added some interior models and tables.
	* Windows added, also non-breakable.
	* Added a tree in the front, to avoid spawnkill: Allies can exit safely their spawn.

- Warehouse
	* Increased a lot the spawn area.
	* Lighted some rooms.
	* Opened new room, with an Axis Command Post, commanding the Warehouse Spawn for Axis.
	* Added a Cracked Wall objective for Allies, for a quick access to Axis Command Post.
	  Beware: Axis will have a sneaky way while opened also...

- Truckyard
	* Players no longer can trickjump Truckyard: they get hurt by barrier, and if they jump they're more injured...
	* Improved lighting.
	* Retextured the inside.
	* Added RaybanB and Avoc waving grass just in thsi area for now.
	* Gold Bars stealing will be announced correctly now.
	* Roofs are slicked.
	* Door is Covert-Op protected, will remove it in next version, since Truck bug is fixed.

- Allied Front Bunker
	* Made it accessible.
	* Protected by an Allied Door only, Covert-Op protected.

- Truck Barrier Materials
	* No longer buildable on map start, Tank runs through it.
	* Appears when Tank past it.
	* It has now a Blue Flag.

All credits goes to +KOMMANDO+, the maker of the 1944 Wolfenstein Enemy Territory awesome map series, even if they’re all bugged the level design and the objective are various and well placed.

Thank you to all the SD users and the friends who have helped me so far, dFx, Tardis, KeMon+, ailmanki, Rebel, and all others not quoted here but present in the text file, both included in ZIP and PK3 files :slight_smile:

If you spot any bug/glitch/exploit, if you’re unhappy with a change or several I made, if you still find it non-equilibrated, just post feedback here, it will be very welcome!

Download

I always had troubles in the past with checksums, I know on online server there’s at least 2 different versions of Axis Lab for instance, if you have any advice to avoid this issue you’re also welcome. When I ran a server, putting a PK3 I made in my mod folder and uploading it on the server’ FTP always made me re-download the PK3 due to bad checksum, that’s why I ask so…

Screenshots

(Mateos) #2

Working on 1944 Nordwind 2.1 after study time, slowly but surely…

(Runeforce) #3

Looking forward too it. Love your style and thoroughness!

(Mateos) #4

Alright, few news…

I tried to adapt the map to all the feedback: added an ambient light value, there’s sound in front of the end gate… But, still, 2 issues:

• Tank/Truck are still black while entering/exiting tunnel. Adding more light entities reduce the time they go totally black, but still happens…
  • The trees shadows. I removed the light args from shaders, but the shadows are still pixelated (Far less, but still); I tried to use the 1944 Huertgen Final 2 settings (I think the shadowing is far more realistic), but it takes ages, so I’m stuck with -light -faster… I think the issue is that the trees are far from the surface on which the shadow is applied; If so, I can’t fix it :confused:

If you have solutions, they’re welcome; If you don’t, reply! So I know how many thought about it, and if 10 people haven’t a solution, then it will stay as is…

Thanks for all the feedback again, I’ll polish it a bit more on free time, according to the suggestions :slight_smile: The map will be available for test on a server before the release so I’ll be sure I did it right (For the ones interested in at least) :slight_smile:

(Mateos) #5

As promised, a private server is running at the moment 1944 Nordwind 2.1 Test 1, for the ones interested :slight_smile:

It can be found here:

The password is “testing” without quotes; You can use noclip etc; 4o4 bots running under silEnT 0.6.1

Changelog:

> Final (2.1)

• The fireplace makes noise.
  • Added moar chairs to push around.
  • Fixed mirrored textures (Thanks Tardis).
  • Added ambient lighting (Thanks people x)).
  • Added Thunder effects, like on Würzburg Radar.
  • Ambient sound is no more cutted in front of the Escape Grate (Thanks lakersforce/Runeforce).
  • Some wooden barriers along the road are now breakable; They were blocking the movements in some situations (Thanks Irata).

Thank you :slight_smile:

Edit:
Ah, also: when you’ll break the props (Chairs), they’ll make a combination of glass and wood noise, like if the shard value was 0+1 and not only 1… Dunno why.

(Indloon) #6

Looks sexy on that picture posted!

The lighting could be better, but that is just a limit set by a Quake 3 engine,which is almost 14 years old.

Maybe someone will bring Cryengine 3 global illumination to ET… :slight_smile:
:cough:

(Runeforce) #7

No, THANK YOU Mateos! :slight_smile: (NP)

Can’t wait to get to a PC where I can check it out!

PS. What about a source release (if it’s possible without breaking any promises)?

(Mateos) #8

Well, I sent mails and a PM here to the original author, the mails are dead, website only reachable through the Internet Archive website, and the PM is still unanswered, so technically I don’t have any authorization to edit/publish/release the source from the original author ^^’ And I haven’t thought yet of a source release… I don’t know. Maybe after the release, if nothing bad is reported ^^’

(Mateos) #9

And sooo… 1944 Nordwind 2.1 (Test 2) is now available on the same server, with same password (“testing” without quotes).

Changelog:

> Final (2.1 Test 2)

• Fixed flying cabinets.
  • All cagelight models have a corona now.
  • Fixed red light leak near the Warehouse.
  • The Tank Barrier is easier to plant now.
  • Tree shadowing is less pixelated on roads now.
  • Optimized T-Junctions and VIS blocking, more surfaces caulked.
  • Prevented the Truck from crushing the players in its back when it reaches the end.
  • Fixed Tank/Truck becoming non-lit while entering/exiting the Warehouse Road Tunnel.
  • Prevented the Tank stop animation/sound from happening twice at the end of its path.
  • Reworked some architectural elements, like windows positions, for geometry homogeneity.
  • Removed over 10 textures which were unique or very similar compared to more commonly used ones.
  • Shortened the wooden barrier near Tank Barrier, they were blocking movements (Thanks [UJE] Niek).

To connect, direct copy/paste in console:
/connect 91.121.141.217:27801;password testing

Any feedback is welcome! Thank you again :slight_smile:

(Mateos) #10

Nobody’s interested? :frowning:

If needed I can give a link to the PK3, if people prefer to test offline or on their own server? :confused:

(Micha) #11

Nice to hear this. I don’t know this map but will test it :slight_smile:

(diaboliksmart) #12

Salut Mateos xD

Yes, please give the PK3 link please, I’d like to test/run this map.

Thx in advance
Ciao

(Mateos) #13

Then, here you go:
http://www.te666.com/serverdl/etmain/1944_Nordwind21_Test2.pk3

(Mateos) #14

Good morning,

I just finished yesterday the Test 3, so here you go :slight_smile:

Changelog

> Final (2.1 Test 3)
* Animated bushes to simulate wind effect.
* Updated locations file and ambient sounds.

• Optimized a lot the T-Junctions, and a bit the VIS blocking.
  • Clipped Farm hay entry, players could get through with Double-Jump enabled.
    • Touched the geometry (Centered doors/windows, some stuff spaced with equal distance).
  • The Farm House windows facing the Axis Spawn are now undestructible to avoid spawn kill.
  • A wall can be broken near the CP to access the little room near the Truckyard Gate,
    as an additional exit for Warehouse. Enabled Double-Jump is disadvised.
    • A backway from Allied Spawn to the Truckyard area has been added
      in case Axis block the path with an aggressive attack (or SK, the name you want :slight_smile: ).
      There’s 3 entrances: behind Allied Spawn, near the Truck in the Truckyard
      and behind the bookcase in the Library.
      It also features light style use (Flickering lights).
      They’re all protected against Axis and Covert Ops.

Screenshots

Download

It is recommended to run it on servers with less than 64 slots and without Double-Jump :slight_smile: Bots will not use the Backway, but I’m in the process to update the waypoints for 1944 Nordwind, then port them again to Nordwind 2 and 2.1 (when finished it will have a different BSP name).

Feedback is very welcome, the map is supposed to be optimized and balanced, but I don’t know how it goes above 14 players :confused:

Thanks in advance,

Mateos

(Mateos) #15

Important Note: The map gives a MAX_GAMESTATECHARS_EXCEEDED error on silEnT with about 30 players online in the middle of the map (when the Tank blows the Truckyard Gate).

/entitylist returns 64-464 entities, so 400 entities. I don’t think that’s too much :confused:

Paths are kept short, and a minimum amount of materials has been used (I replaced textures used once or twice by more common ones a while ago).

Could be possibly too much PK3s hanging server side or silEnT not handling the issue like other mods.

Thank you for reading :slight_smile:

(hellreturn) #16

Thanks for the update added on our HC Server.

http://et.trackbase.net/index.php?mod=serverinfo&idx=11232

(Mateos) #17

Thank you :slight_smile:

I see you have 26 slots, it should be fine; I’m going through reducing how much info is shared between clients and server to avoid the error I said 2 posts above, thanks Irata for all your help, appreciated!

During two days, deleting things 1 by 1, compile test BSP/VIS/LIGHT first phases to SetupTraceNodes, several at once and safe_malloc fail. I copy/paste everything in a new .map: 2x more portals generated, no more error.

I sell my brain.

I hope to share a update this week-end if everything goes as expected :slight_smile:

Edit:
The copy/paste cleared the Worldspawn properties. Refilled it, error came back, 2 times less portals. Removed _blocksize 0, error is gone. Let’s hope forever :slight_smile:

(Mateos) #18

Alright, finished to optimize the map to push back the error… The map is more optimized than Venice now.

Some numbers, under NQ 1.2.9 Beta 6, with few PK3s in etmain:
Map: Warmup csinfo - After Warmup csinfo
Venice: 7933 - 7977
1944 Nordwind 2.1 Test 3.1: 7711 - 7770

This means my map can handle more players than Venice /o/…

Changelog:

> Final (2.1 Test 3.1)
* Removed more road barriers, made more destructible as well.
* Lowered the ambient sounds volume: everything above 127 downed to 127.
* Shortened Cabinets names (MAX_GAMESTATECHARS_EXCEEDED error, thanks Irata).
* Ambient lighting value increased from 10 to 16; Radar has 18 as a comparison.
* Removed Light Styles, the flickering lights in Allied Backway, saving about 400 chars.
* Removed most of Dynamic Lights (Farm (1), Farm House (1), Warehouse (2),
Allied Spawn (1), Allied Backway (2)).
Remains the 5 ones for Thunder (MAX_GAMESTATECHARS_EXCEEDED error, thanks Irata).
* Shortened the HQ announcement names (MAX_GAMESTATECHARS_EXCEEDED error, thanks Irata).

Download:

Sorry for the inconvenience of the previous version :confused:

(hellreturn) #19

Thanks for the fix! Updated on our server!

(Mateos) #20

Thank you!

Let me know if anything’s wrong :slight_smile: