The Future of WarChest, Fireteam, and Splash Damage

(badman) #1

A new blog entry has been added:

The Future of WarChest, Fireteam, and Splash Damage

Splash Damage, Fireteam, WarChest - how does it all fit together? As part of their recent visit, GamaSutra has published an information-packed feature, looking at each of the three companies, what they add to the overall family, and what you can expect from them in the future. Here’s a slice:

[quote]
“…about a year ago, we started to realize that there was this potential to achieve vertical integration as a company - to be the funder, creator, developer, operator, perhaps even the publisher of content that we created.”

This is what led to both Fireteam and WarChest coming into existence, and Splash Damage’s call-to-arms for free-to-play games that are both high-quality and non-exploitative.“We’re talking about games as a service,” Wedgwood notes.

“Rather than developing games purely for their first week, we think about long-term player engagement, not just for a couple of months, but for 2-5 years, and we can continue to serve that community post-release.”

If you’re interested in the business behind the businesses, this is a fantastic piece for you to sink your teeth into. Read the rest over at GamaSutra.
[/quote]

(Nooby.) #2

I love the way you guys think for the long term not just week it all about the fans and the money lol and warchest sound like a badass name mustang

(Mustang) #3

I still find it pretty meh tbh.

(Kl3ppy) #4

I really like the part when they talk about a “long term engagement”.

(Mustang) #5

I’m interested in what the Dirty Bomb Android app is going to include.

(millerq3) #6

Indeed, Splash Damage has completely shifted its operations to free-to-play. Its first title to come from WarChest, iOS strategy game Rad Soldiers, is free-to-play, while Splash Damage’s next two games – a PC title later this year and a console game next year – will also both be free-to-play (Wedgwood describes them as “Free-to-plAAA”).

PC title later in the year…the speculation of the coming title will become unbearable… go Badman give us a clue :smiley:

(Singh400) #7

Yeah I’m gonna go ahead and cross my fingers for ETQW 2. They shall not be uncrossed either. Be it on your head if they are crossed forever!

(Shownie) #8

I cross my fingers for a Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory based game! :slight_smile:

(Gir) #9

Enemy Territory/Quake/BRINK/Wolfenstein/ID Tech Engines are all intellectual properties owned by Zenimax. therefore Splashdamage will never make Sequels to W:ET/ETQW or anything branded “Enemy Territory” as well as the reason they are switching to Unreal engine.

(zenstar) #10

They could license it/them… unlikely, but they could.
I don’t really mind what they call it as long as it’s a good game :smiley:

(.Chris.) #11

I’m pretty sure their PC games will follow the style of the ET games.

However one thing I’m concerned about is whether or not modding will occur, I’ve not really played many F2P games, only World of Tanks and Tribes (beta) but I guess they generally don’t have mod tools released for them.

(zenstar) #12

[QUOTE=.Chris.;398712]I’m pretty sure their PC games will follow the style of the ET games.

However one thing I’m concerned about is whether or not modding will occur, I’ve not really played many F2P games, only World of Tanks and Tribes (beta) but I guess they generally don’t have mod tools released for them.[/QUOTE]

TF2 is free to play and pretty moddable. In fact Valve incorporates a lot of community stuff every now and then.
Of course they may be the exception, but as something to aim for it’s not a bad way of doing things.

(tangoliber) #13

I think the only reason TF2 has modding is because it originally wasn’t F2P. If Splash Damage manages to include modding in a F2P game, then that would be very cool…but I certainly wouldn’t expect it.

(Donnovan) #14

I liked that:

“(…)we think about long-term player engagement, not just for a couple of months, but for 2-5 years(…)”

I believe this is the clue that it will have “user editing”.

(Mustang) #15

Fireteam is a decent enough name, but WarChest… who brainstormed that?!

I’m a little sceptical of how the free2play model is going to play out, I guess the TV analogy helps a little. Just as long as I can still get my collectors editions I’ll be happy.

(Singh400) #16

[QUOTE=Mustang;399666]Fireteam is a decent enough name, but WarChest… who brainstormed that?![/quote]Should have been MagicNade Inc xD