Questions for SD/Warchest about RAD Soldiers

(SockDog) #1

Trailer states iEverything but can you confirm if there are other platforms following closely, waiting on reception of iEverythings before proceeding or just not on the cards at all right now?

If RAD soldiers does come to multiple platforms will it offer cross platform play? ie Android devices and play Apple devices?

You state you don’t see Facebook as being compatible (in some respects) to the ideals of Warchest. Would this count out plans for a PC/Mac/Linux/Web version of the game?

The game is free but you’ll be getting revenue from somewhere. If ads will you offer an ad-free premium version?

Will Tokamak be happy at this being a totally strategic turn based game where you can build your own squad through XP/Coin collect and take it out to beat others? :cool:

Any other questions people have? We might as well start nagging now, 2012 looks like it’ll be a busy year.

1st Q&A can be found here: RAD Soldiers Community Q&A #1

(Humate) #2

Will Tokamak be happy at this being a totally strategic turn based game where you can build your own squad through XP/Coin collect and take it out to beat others?

lolol oh dear

(SockDog) #3

Hahaha, hopefully he’ll see the humour behind it. Honestly I see the game (sans FPS) being pretty much what he’s wanted and if it is PvP I’d actually agree with him that the whole XP, build classes stuff should work really well. Then again, he might just disagree to be a pain in the arse. :slight_smile:

Tok I love you, not as much as Apples, but then he’s a drunk. :slight_smile:

(tangoliber) #4

I’m curious about who designed the art style for this game, since it doesn’t look like Olivier Leonardi’s style.

I would play a PC version…but I don’t have a smartphone. The aspects that I liked about Brink would translate well to a turn-based game…and you don’t have to worry about spread.

Selling cosmetic items would probably work pretty well in this game… Better than FPS where its too fast and you can’t see your own character…or even MOBA.

(Dormamu) #5

The first time i saw the trailer i was like: Incubation and Brink had a baby? :smiley:

Can you upgrade the number of Action Points in RAD Soldiers? Is the AP number the same for every character, or it depends on the class you chose?

(SockDog) #6

Another Question on balancing the unlocks.

How do the unlocks work? If it’s over play time or on completion of multiple objectives then I can see a need to match players of similar progress or limit the unlocks if playing against say a brand new player. I think I prefer the latter as an option if you’re selecting to play against friends.

Also, you’ve stated your not interested in Facebook Apps but how about Facebook as a means to match players? I know, right here in the forums, we’re seeing the transition to user accounts but being able to link Facebook/Twitter/G+ user lists and see if those people are playing the game will also widen the playerbase. Again, with Draw Something I saw it being a hard slog to convince people to find me with an email, spamming social services isn’t the greatest method of engaging people. Yet, once I linked my FB account to Draw Something I immediately had a ton of games going with people I know, it’s just very intuitive and has a very low barrier to entry. Apple’s Gamecenter has been mentioned but again, who really uses that?

(tokamak) #7

You’re only doing this because you want that ‘I’m a star’ achievement, confess :smiley:

(SockDog) #8

Oh you’ve seen through my shallow, selfish, ruse. I must have that forum achievement! :slight_smile:

Would be interested in hearing your thoughts on the game thus far. The link to Gamasutra Nail made in the other thread is pretty detailed if you haven’t seen it yet.

(tokamak) #9

I think I can now confidently say that I’m someone who treats the developer by the last game they made. ETQW made me totally fanatical and anxious to try what Brink had in store, Brink severely tempered my excitement for this game. Of course I hope SD finds their way again but I’m not as naive anymore.

(SockDog) #10

Well let’s leave quality and delivery to one side for the moment.

How do you like the concept so far, it seems very much to hit some of your bullet points from our previous discussions.

(tokamak) #11

You’re right, that was just a blanket statement that said nothing about the game in question.

The turnbased aspect has me excited. Sounds refreshing. I hope they stay away from what Frozen Synapse did because that was pretty difficult and had an enormously steep learning curve. I basically hope it becomes Advance Wars in shooter form.

(badman) #12

Thanks for everyone’s questions so far! We’re planning to do a blog feature soon where we answer your questions (and we’ll make it a very regular thing if there’s enough interest). In the meantime, please keep 'em coming… :slight_smile:

(zenstar) #13

I’d like a little more detail on the XP system. Is it individual for each team member or does the team level up as a group? The info says that each soldier gains XP but it also says you level the team leader…
Also: are there injuries for team members to pick up? Can you have a team member die permanently?
How are the teams made up? Will we be able to hire whoever we want for our team? Are there different factions to choose from?

(Pi_Mai) #14

I would like to know if there will be a map maker apart of the app? I understand for intended purposes to have one might lessen the purchasing of pro-made maps how ever you should know, it does build a stronger community and one that last longer. Look at team fortress 2 for instance ( which I think you have, based on the classes you have chosen :wink: ). That game is massive and it’s been going for a good while now.

Oddly enough I had thought just weeks before your announcement ( it be cool if advanced wars was on the iPad/smart devices ) which when I saw your announcement, it blew me mind. It’s a similar concept and yet so different at the same time.

Graphics: will they be ipad3 ready? ( writing this post on one ).

Will there be multiple weapons available for each class? I had an idea that guns / accessories could be classified as cards which can be traded similar to that of a card game like magic TG. Also an option to duel for something option, kind of like racing for pink slips…

Multiplayer: split screen for long train rides? Or pass the pad to friend to continue mode? I loved that option in advanced wars and would use it all the time on travels.
Also can there be multiple games going on at one time? Say I play against a friend in LA ( I live in the UK ) that game will be stored between moves while allowing me to battle other people locally and internationally.

This leads to another issue, time away from match. Could there be review system allowing to replay the last 5 moves to see where the match was upto when epic matches have time in between moves ( going to sleep ).

My only worry is that the free model may water the experience down like it does with so many games and you feel as though you have to play 24/7. I’d happily buy the game rather having it be free. Free games tend to punish rather then reward for time spent in the game. Personally I give up as they free cold based on the fact they remind you all the time " hey buy this and save Xxxx amount of time ". To do this game as ou said you’ll have to find a new method of free to play that doesn’t feel like FarmVille and one that draws you in for one more game.

Thats enough from me.
:slight_smile:

If there was a way to be apart of the beta I’d surely jump in and help out. I love turn based games from the civ series, Nintendo advance wars and lastly magic the gathering.
When you think about it not many games are turned based. That’s of course you exclude board games which in all honestly everyone loves!

(tokamak) #15

How does the turn-based sequence work? In the teaser it says synchronous, does that mean both teams move their pieces at the same time each phase? Or is it like Advance Wars, or even Warhammer where each side takes a turn in moving all their units before resolving combat.

(Humate) #16

asynchronous

edit: good read
double edit: one more

(Metal-Geo) #17

Presumably I’ll be able to play with/against friends using a different iDevice, right? (iPad vs iPod Touch vs iPhone)

And will the app be universal? :slight_smile:

(rogerguest) #18

Really very interesting forum for discussion. I like it.

(Gir) #19

Yes / No :rolleyes:

(Pytox) #20

Where can I get a RAD Soldiers T-shirt?