Wolfenstein: ET Master Server Back In Action

(badman) #1

A new story entry has been added:

[drupal=936]Wolfenstein: ET Master Server Back In Action[/drupal]

Following the outage earlier in the year, the folks over at id Software have rebuilt the Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory Master Server, and everything is now back online and working. If you’ve got the game installed, it’ll pick up the new Master Server automatically. No changes required on your end.
On a side note, we’d also like to throw a big thank at community member Paul for providing an interim master while the official Master Server was being rebuilt.
See you online!

(Dragonji) #2

Bump!

Is it only me or the browser doesn’t show full/empty servers on 2.60b list regardless of your filter settings?

(Mateos) #3

It has been pointed when the MS was down by Chris I think, or acQu; But already pointed here at the said moment :slight_smile:

Edit:
The post just up yours ^^’

(KeMoN) #4

Why would you still use that annoying ingame bworser? It is far easier to search for your server at Splatterladder. And if you don’t want to copy the server-ip and connect to the server via console /connect [ctrl + v] you can even install the sl.gamelauncher and simply connect from the homepage…
Just saying

//EDIT: Another huge plus: you see whether the players are bots or not before connecting…

(acQu) #5

@Dragonji: yes, 2.6b clients will not display servers, which are empty or full. Reason is the query clients send out.

I also didn’t notice for years :slight_smile: And i am sure there was hardly anyone realizing this. Just sayin’. There is also a fix somewhere at ET:L, written by the great master of the universe himself, guess who it is :stuck_out_tongue: … It is fairly easy to provide ui code and such. This along with hardcoded ui menus would make a good patch i think haha

(Dragonji) #6

[QUOTE=Mateos;422420]It has been pointed when the MS was down by Chris I think, or acQu; But already pointed here at the said moment :slight_smile:

Edit:
The post just up yours ^^’[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I saw that but I was just thinking that “bug” appeared when id restored the masterlist and hasn’t been fixed yet.

[QUOTE=KeMoN;422421]Why would you still use that annoying ingame bworser? It is far easier to search for your server at Splatterladder. And if you don’t want to copy the server-ip and connect to the server via console /connect [ctrl + v] you can even install the sl.gamelauncher and simply connect from the homepage…
Just saying

//EDIT: Another huge plus: you see whether the players are bots or not before connecting…[/QUOTE]
I don’t use this in-game browser :D. It’s just that I’m a server admin and I want players to see my server(s).

[QUOTE=acQu;422435]@Dragonji: yes, 2.6b clients will not display servers, which are empty or full. Reason is the query clients send out.

I also didn’t notice for years :slight_smile: And i am sure there was hardly anyone realizing this. Just sayin’. There is also a fix somewhere at ET:L, written by the great master of the universe himself, guess who it is :stuck_out_tongue: … It is fairly easy to provide ui code and such. This along with hardcoded ui menus would make a good patch i think haha[/QUOTE]
I’d be grateful if you could post the link to the proper commit(s)/issue(s) :slight_smile:

(acQu) #7

Here => http://www.etlegacy.com/issues/37

Hope nobody misunderstands this to be some ET:L promo or anything … :slight_smile:

(nunk) #8

After master server came back, True Combat: Elite mod has only seen servers with players in the serverlist. So all empty servers are invisible. Everyone has this problem and it has really decreased the already little amount of players in this awesome mod.

Who I should contact to ask what they have changed with the master server to cause this bug and if they could fix this?

(Dragonji) #9

This is 2.60b client bug.

(nunk) #10

It didn’t happen in TC:E 0.49b before master server update. Hmm.

(acQu) #11

Yes, well … i wouldn’t call it bug (i think it was added with intention to the client from update 2.55 to 2.6b to have that one buffer not overflow :> and decrease network traffic from the internetz and the master server in general i guess).

But yeah. Basically the link i posted above explains it all. It is a small change in the query to the master server in client ui code. So only updated clients will see empty servers, not updated clients will remain the same.

There is always a possibility though to contact id masterserver team and modify their master server. It would not be too much work. Basically the change requires to disable the options in querys. 2.6b client basically says: “give me servers which are populated”. 2.55 client says: give me all servers. So you could make masterserver ignore that specific request and have send complete masterlist sent anyway. This would make it so empty servers appear on clients even if they are not updated.

(nunk) #12

Client ui code? So maybe this could be fixed by changing ui scripts in the pk3 files of True Combat: Elite? Or is this code somewhere else? TC:E is closed source :frowning:

I’ll take a look in the ui scripts.

(acQu) #13

I just noticed, the link above is broken.

Client Fix: http://www.dev.etlegacy.com/projects/etlegacy/repository/revisions/52ac4aad44a17ce50059b188dff8f1c1155d0d9f
Related discussion: http://www.dev.etlegacy.com/issues/37#change-101

I think it is not possible to change this in ui scripts. The string is hardcoded from what i remember. It was long ago. I wouldn’t look at ui scripts :slight_smile:

(nunk) #14

Thanks. So is it yet in the current version of ET:L (2.71?)? I’ve tried running tcetest with it but empty servers are still not visible.

(acQu) #15

It’s only in their mod code (think from 2.71 on). So if you took the .exe it won’t work. But it could be that they changed something. Last time i checked it was only mod code (ui).

(nunk) #16

The code is in ui_mp_x86.dll? I could edit that with hex editor :smiley:

I’m not sure what I’m doing but atleast I’m trying

(acQu) #17

Hm … although, what masterserver is TCE using? O-o

(nunk) #18

I think it uses the same master server than original ET. Console says “Resolving etmaster.idsoftware.com

(acQu) #19

Ok, nvm then. If TCE devs are still active, they might add it to their code if they want. Stuff above is only one solution. Other is to change masterserver itself.

(nunk) #20

[QUOTE=acQu;476588]I just noticed, the link above is broken.

Client Fix: http://www.dev.etlegacy.com/projects/etlegacy/repository/revisions/52ac4aad44a17ce50059b188dff8f1c1155d0d9f
Related discussion: http://www.dev.etlegacy.com/issues/37#change-101

I think it is not possible to change this in ui scripts. The string is hardcoded from what i remember. It was long ago. I wouldn’t look at ui scripts :)[/QUOTE]

I “fixed” the problem in UI scripts. Added this in the right place:

exec "globalservers 0 84 empty full"

The only thing is that now you see duplicates of servers which have players. Still better than before…