Server Authentication

(sereNADE) #1

Server has not been able to authenticate for hours, just purchased btw. So I tested locally with the server launcher and same thing.

edit: Just restarted a server that was already up and it also now no longer authenticates.

(OmeletDuFromage) #2

So its 2013. Cool. Looks like server authentication is broken again. New servers are not authenticated, previous authenticated servers are.
Don’t throw your save dirs away when testing this :slight_smile:
ODF

(OmeletDuFromage) #3

Still no new sdnet/serverlicensecode.dat generated for servers. Please, could you fix this issue. It happened before and had an easy fix. Patching the code and releasing it with customizable authentication server would be nice. Doing so will shield us from having this problem over and over again.

Thanks

(Breo) #4

This won’t happen because the game isn’t supported anymore?
I found the post from Susefreak with a workaround, but I guess it won’t work for the latest version:

[QUOTE=Susefreak;396829]Maybe take a look at that patch that circumvented the need for authentication.

It was in the forums some where, I recall some Russian site was involved.

I believe it was this one:
http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=nl&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fforum.csmania.ru%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ff%3D28%26t%3D3794%26hilit%3DVityan%27s%2BUniversal%26start%3D420[/QUOTE]

(Susefreak) #5

Basically whats that does is remove the need for server auth with a central server. For running it like a local lan server.

Pro: No need to auth with a central server
Con: No chance you will be able to connect through the server browser, direct ip only

or find a way to replicate the LAN situation e.g. vpn

Another way is to release patched code for ETQW yourself (Win and Lin binaries are only required I guess, since all the Mac folk has moved out I’m guessing). ETQW:Pro code should be out there somewhere, or QWTA. Otherwise shoot me a DM if you are unable to acquire it.

(badman) #6

I’ve let id know so they can look into it.

Realistically, another update for either the game or the server isn’t going to happen as those are quite expensive and the player base is fairly small now. :frowning:

(x3mytiz) #7

Thanks, badman! Anyway, strong essences are kept in small bottles…

(Susefreak) #8

I catch your drift and it’s ofc fully understandable, but judging from the code in the russian forums the tweaks can be made without the source. Hypothetically speaking, what if the community provided the code for the patch? Maybe nudge JC a bit to lobby for the source code release. This would be a perfect argument to speed it up.

Or is this too much wishful thinking?

(badman) #9

Having the community make a patch is one thing - having it be officially endorsed is quite another. This is a sizable minefield because of the customer support issues that could potentially result.

In other news, the ETQW servers should now be able to auth properly again. Have a go and let me know if anything is still broken.

(OmeletDuFromage) #10

Yes, working again.
Thanks for not neglecting the small small bottles :slight_smile:

Any fix released as unofficial is fine. Giving access to the source (with NDA if needed) so anybody can fix it for you would be appreciated as well.
Every time there is downtime the results are visible as a shrink in the player base. So, yes, altering stuff to guarantee more fault free setup is high priority for the bottled leftovers.

(I do understand companies not wanting to put time in it. I just never understand why sitting on stuff is beneficial for companies)

(TacTicToe) #11

[QUOTE=badman;442206]Having the community make a patch is one thing - having it be officially endorsed is quite another. This is a sizable minefield because of the customer support issues that could potentially result.

In other news, the ETQW servers should now be able to auth properly again. Have a go and let me know if anything is still broken.[/QUOTE]

Ok, ETQW server does in fact authenticate. However, my Wolfenstein 2009 server will not authenticate. Should I blast Activision with emails to get my server working?

(badman) #12

That’s one for Activision as far as I know (the game is still listed on their site).

(TacTicToe) #13

Thanks Badman. Tried to contact Activision, and there is no working email. Their online support only takes you through pages of useless links in the FAQ, with nothing about Wolf 2009. Oh well. :rolleyes:

(badman) #14

Hm, they used to have a feature where you could submit questions to their team, but that seems to have disappeared when they redesigned their support portal. :frowning: Do you still have the game manual? There’s usually some customer support info in the back.

(Nail) #15

Contact information (2008):

Activision
3100 Ocean Park Blvd.
Santa Monica, California 90405

Sales phone: 310-255-2000
Sales fax: 310-255-2166
Company phone: 310-255-2000
Company Fax: 310-255-2166

(Susefreak) #16

PM me if you want contact info for a PR representative in the Benelux

(OmeletDuFromage) #17

so … now we have "Dedicated server sign in failed " on almost all ranked servers, Only 2 remain. Can this be fixed?

(Scrupus) #18

hmm, I noticed some messages about server not being able to find update server today, but they still auth okay - just restarted one of them to check.

Looks like the nameserver for www.enemityterritory.com have some problems though - not sure if that has anything to do with it the auth, as I think the auth server use something else.

The update server could not be reached.
You can check for updates at: http://www.enemyterritory.com/

host -a www.enemyterritory.com
Trying "www.enemyterritory.com"
;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached

whois www.enemyterritory.com

Domain servers in listed order:
  ns1.activision.com

host ns1.activision.com
ns1.activision.com has address 204.118.135.133

dig www.enemyterritory.com @204.118.135.133   

; <<>> DiG 9.5.1-P1 <<>> www.enemyterritory.com @204.118.135.133
;; global options:  printcmd
;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached

guess our only hope for now, is to raise the badsign:

badman - nananananana - badman!

:tongue:

(sereNADE) #19

same problem many hours later. ny server won’t authenticate and gsp can’t do anything. uk server wont authenticate after restart. launching server from my pc wont authenticate. hope it is magically working by morning :mad:

(radoprime) #20

Please advaise haw i can started play on line if server not reconize my kickname end my password