Brink optimization for C2D and AMD HD6950, please help

(Nizer) #1

Hi all,

I really like Brink but it is difficult to work with at times as an AMD ATI card owner. But using driver 11.10 solved a lot of my problems, cf. the recommended driver sticky. Earlier on I owned a AMD HD4870 and to play Brink I had to disable all shadows, which isn’t pretty.

Now I have a AMD HD6950 and I was hoping I would be able to run Brink with ‘medium’ shadows. BUT I Can’t :frowning: My FPS goes below 15…

I think I should be able to run Brink better with my system.

So I come here to get some help!

My Brink video settings are:

• medium shadow quality (as low as it can go!)
  • low texture quality
    all other settings in the ‘video’ menu are disabled except for ‘vertical sync’, which is enabled.

I have of course read the sticky “Sticky: WINDOWS (PC) Performance Optimisation in Brink” and it is helpful. But I have done all I can to follow the recommendations.

My Catalyst control centre settings are as you can see in the attached picture or here.

My system specs are:
E8500 C2D cpu overclocked to 3,8 GHz
4 gb DDR2-800 ram
X38 motherboard
AMD HD6950 2gb (bios flashed to HD6970 but core/memory is running standard 6950 speeds, 800 core, 5 ghz memory), dx11
Monitor: Samsung 2232BW, resolution: 1680x1050
Windows 7, 64 bit

Shouldn’t I be able to run Brink fluently somehow with shadows on? Or is my CPU to slow to run Brink in DX11? Help!

Note: when running my HD4870 I was able to completely disable Catalyst A.I., but with HD6950 I am not able to do that. Or is there a way?

Best
Casper

(Nizer) #2

Not much help to find here. But from the steam Brink forum I have learned the following:

See: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?p=29588265

I would advice admin to update the optimization advice which states that you should DISABLE CATALYST A. I, because that is not possible with the drivers for the 6900 series. Instead people should be advised to put the Catalyst A.I’s texture filtering to “High quality”.

Best
Casper