Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: ET: Legacy

ET: Legacy

What is ET: Legacy?

Project home: http://www.etlegacy.com
    IRC channel: #etlegacy on Freenode.net

ET: Legacy is a version of Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory (based on its open-sourced code). The main goal of this project is to fix bugs, remove old dependencies and make it playable on all major OSes while still remaining compatible with the ET 2.60b version and as many mods as possible.

What's the difference between ET:L and, for example, OpenWolf, ET:Xreal or raedwulf-et? As mentioned above, ET:L tries to maintain compatibility with ET 2.60b and its mods (tested so far: NoQuarter 1.2.9, Jaymod 2.2.0, siEnT 0.5.0 and ETPub). For up to date list of mod compatibility see this wiki page. Also have a look at the changes in the cvars.

This project is a fork of raedwulf-et at revision 24ca3ade888b. It also takes inspiration from ioquake and ET-Xreal (modular renderer planned in the future).

Download
    • Please download Windows and linux binaries from this page.
    • OpenBSD - done! Compile from source.
    • Mac - planned. We need help with this.

Warning !!!

This is an alpha quality software. It contains many bugs - some known, some not yet found. Do not replace your W:ET binaries with the ones you download from here. Instead unpack the directory to some other location and copy pak0.pk3, pak1.pk3, pak2.pk3, mp_bin.pk3, etkey (if you want to keep XP) and maps from your W:ET installation there.

Version history
    • Git test builds
      • Irregular test builds can be found on our website etlegacy.com in the files section. This list will not be updated anymore.

• 2.70 (beta 7)
      • rcon fix
      • removed some cvars, small code clean ups and reformatting
      • fixed visible map edges and SilentMod menu artifacts
      • HLSW should work with ET:L from now on
      • Windows version string hardcoded (mod compatibility)
      • removed because of crashes/incompleteness:
        • set sv_timeout to 30
        • guid master
        • Windows homedir fix
        • a few other things
    • 2.70 (beta 6)
      • added/fixed texture anisotropic filtering (see the list of cvars)
        • r_ext_texture_filter_anisotropic - Enables/disables texture anisotropic filtering.
        • r_ext_max_anisotropy - Sets largest supported anisotropy.
      • fixed crash on NULL sound
      • fixed ingame announcements volume
      • don't spam errors on buggy maps
      • fix mouse not working in fullscreen (again)
      • set sv_timeout to 30 seconds by default (untested, if you experience problems, please tell us!)
      • getstatus response fix
      • support for 32 colorcodes in linux terminal
      • fixed "Invalid .PK3 files referenced" (server)
      • fixed shader typos and newlines (patch by Gir)
      • console command and argument completion (basic)
      • foundations for secure guid (in progress) and lots of code clean ups
    • 2.70 (beta 5)
      • commands can now be executed ingame from the system terminal on unix
      • added minimize command (minimizes window into the taskbar)
      • added Dushan's anti-DDoS security fix
      • cleaned up the code and added LOTS of security fixes
    • 2.70 (beta 4b)
      • fixed a server crash
    • 2.70 (beta 4)
      • Jaymod 2.2.0 compatibility
      • Imported all the fixes from the Project: Bug Fix
      • etkey is optionally downloaded from etkey.org (this will be replaced in the future)
      • Reverted change: ET:L uses ~/.etwolf as its home directory again
      • other minor changes, for a complete list of changes have a look here
    • 2.70 (beta 3)
      • screenshotJPEG command issue fixed (thanks acQu)
      • Morsik's patch for PB-compatible etkey combined with the old stuff
      • very basic Visual Studio support
      • s_muteWhenMinimized set to 1 by default
      • ET:L now uses its own home directory (~/.etlegacy on linux)
      • other minor changes
    • 2.70 (beta 2)
      • workaround for the mouse getting stuck in the windowed mode (thanks Mateos)
      • Alt+Enter switches from/to fullscreen mode on all platforms
      • added: ability to mute sound when the game is minimized (thanks acQu)
      • switched from Makefile to premake build system (inspired by ET-XreaL)
    • 2.70 (beta 1)
      • added fix for libjpeg compatibility (originally written by Ilm) (broken in alpha2)
      • windowed mode behaves better (but it is not noob-friendly yet)
      • libraries are now all linked dynamically (Linux needs: libjpeg, libcurl, sdl)
    • 2.70 (alpha 2)
      • ALT+TAB minimizes the game
      • sound now works correctly on Windows and SDL is linked dynamically
      • fixed key binding on international keyboards
      • disabled OpenAL
    • 2.70 (alpha)
      • switched from etmaster.idsoftware.com to etmaster.net
      • compatibility with NoQuarter 1.2.9
      • ported etkey generation from ioquake
      • updated CURL lib to the latest version available
      • resolved about a 1000 compiler warnings (still a few hundreds left)
      • removed some useless and deprecated code (a lot more to go)
      • all the fixes and improvements made by raedwulf (move from deprecated platform specific code to SDL, sound fix on linux, etc.)
    Last edited by Radegast; 2nd Sep 2012 at 11:11. Reason: 2.70 beta 7 released
    http://www.etlegacy.com - Updated version of Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory for Windows, linux, Mac OS X, AROS and OpenBSD

Re: ET: Legacy

VBO rendering please!

Nice one tough

Thanks Indoon! Hehe, it seems my project got outdated in less than two days of its lifetime:
    Quote Originally Posted by Dushan View Post
    This is working NQ inside OpenWolf. I have fixed mod compatibility with OpenWolf and in pictures is shown working NoQuarter 1.2.8. I have found some source on net what somebody uploaded so I based this work on that.
    Oh, for crying out loud!

Well, people can still use ET:Legacy until Dushan releases his source code and after that.. I'll probably continue working on this because I find it to be great fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Indloon View Post
    VBO rendering please!
    As for the new features - my plan is to start releasing beta versions from now on, which will only address critical bugs. After that I'll release a stable version 2.70 with installers/packages for all the major platforms. And after all that I'll start looking into adding new features/enhancements to the future releases.

I also opened a bug tracker where people can add bug reports or feature requests.

Hi,

tested windows today. Here some things i observed.

edit: i just went through the changelog and saw that your ALT+TAB stuff is only intended for linux. So i deleted point 1 - 4. I will probably bring it back when you have working minimize in Windows

Deleted 1) - 4) ALT+TAB stuff

5) Pressing tilde key twice ? Ew ... I guess you wanted to fix dead characters issue with some foreign keyboard layouts. Pressing it twice is not so good imo.

That is it from here. Kewl project though. Do you plan to keep working on it alone ? Also: what is the advantage of using SDL library. I am pretty noob at SDL, and i only read that it would be better and portable. What are the advantages of using/prefering it over old ET functions.
    Last edited by acQu; 11th Feb 2012 at 22:34.

Hi acQu, thanks for testing.

1) - 4) ALT+TAB stuff: Alt+Tabbing from and to ET:L really should work on Windows. Does it not work on your system?
    The reason why the action to minimize the game by pressing ALT+TAB is compiled-in only on linux is because linux doesn't allow you to switch from a fullscreen game like that by default.

Quote Originally Posted by acQu View Post
    5) Pressing tilde key twice ? Ew ... I guess you wanted to fix dead characters issue with some foreign keyboard layouts. Pressing it twice is not so good imo.
    OK, this is definitely a bug. The worrying thing is that it works well on my box.

Could you perhabs try executing "in_keyboarddebug 1" in the console and then closing and opening it a few times? Then copy the contents of sterr.txt here. Edit: no, not here. To pastebin.com or somewhere like that please.

Do you plan to keep working on it alone ?
    Good question. I forgot to mention this in the first post. This project is open to anyone who would like to help!

what is the advantage of using SDL library.
    There are many advantages, but here are the two most important ones for me: first, it is much easier to maintain one implementation in SDL than several platform specific ones and second, SDL supports many platforms, so it will be much easier to port Wolfenstein

Edit: released 2.70 beta 1. This is a bit rushed because there was a nasty bug with the use of libjpeg
    Last edited by Radegast; 12th Feb 2012 at 18:42.

Most Recent Awards:

Hi, I've got nothing to add to this but GOOD WORK.

Hi,

here is the keyboard layout of my country (Germany) => http://klickdichschlau.at/contentfil...astatur_de.png For opening console i press the key underneath escape here. It has this sign '^' and this ''. So when i said 'tilde key', i actually meant the console key. Just to clear that up

Here is the requested Pastebin from stderr logprint: http://pastebin.com/cyL3xYzi
    It says something about ignoring dead character keys. This is very likely the problem.

About ALT+TAB: i try use the bug tracker for this. You can also see one problem there already. I at some point used ALT+TAB shortcut. As you can see it only records TAB keydown event, and then minimizes the game. So when i go in game again, it still thinks the TAB key is held down. Also there is a mysterious dead character always slipping through. Definitely interesting Perhaps a project with bugs is more interesting than an actual working one

I investigate a bit more

P.S.: maybe my setup environment is not how it should be. I just pasted etlegacy (renamed as et.exe), and the server executable in my extra et testing installation. I also just pasted the cgame and qgame and ui stuff into etmain. Anything wrong with that ?

hmm, it seems to be platform related rather than keyboard related. Also, on windows the game doesn't get focus after it gets executed, so it doesn't accept keyboard input at first. I should probably fix the things I had been working on before this and clean up the mess. Then I'll look into it. The alternative is Shift+Esc to open up the console. Btw, did you get my PM, acQu? Edit: yes, you did

Thanks, iDan!

Edit #2: ok, I think I just found out what's causing the problem
    Last edited by Radegast; 12th Feb 2012 at 23:11.

I'd like to see it compatible with silEnT mod and Jaymod

Dragonji: it already is ! At least with Jaymod, I don't know for sure about silEnT mod, but I'd say 99% of mods are now compatible with ET: Legacy.

Some nice work
    I had to compile form your sources though cause your lin binary wasn't capturing my mouse at all, no biggie though.
    Works well on nq & etpub but I tried join a couple of jaymod servers but it stopped at awaiting connection and just kept on counting - but when I fired up the normal et those servers were fine.

I'll try out a few more jaymod servers later in the week and see if I can get on any in case those couple had something stopping me connect, I have no idea.

Also it's nice to be able to drop the console down and get the mouse out the game during connection, never enjoyed joining new servers and having to download 50+ mb of maps, mods and stupid sound packs at their <40kps limit with myself being stuck with no option to watch and wait.

Most Recent Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Psykorgasm View Post
    Also it's nice to be able to drop the console down and get the mouse out the game during connection, never enjoyed joining new servers and having to download 50+ mb of maps, mods and stupid sound packs at their <40kps limit with myself being stuck with no option to watch and wait.
    Do you mean this is new? It's always been possible in the Quake 3 engine as far as I know? Not moaning, just pointing out.

It's never worked for me on the official executables for ET. It has/does on Q3 ioq3 and a few other Quake based games.

Most Recent Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Psykorgasm View Post
    It's never worked for me on the official executables for ET. It has/does on Q3 ioq3 and a few other Quake based games.
    Always worked for me , weird one. This is a nice mod tbh, need to test it a bit more.

Really? I just tried it again and mine doesn't, tried again and spammed it.. it came half way during loading then threw me in game with the console showing only 3 lines and input not going in correctly.
    So.. great.. I clearly have broken something myself then even though it works fine with everything else. F*** it.

Anyway, I tried the beta1 just now, it captures the mouse fine now. Tried a few different jaymod 2.2.0 servers then before still with no luck. I went as far as deleting .etwolf making a stock profile.. tried to connect to those jaymod servers and it wont even connect to them to download the mod.

Here only in windowed mode; I use it for mapping purposes, so I can easily switch between game and fix stuff in editor. I think in fullscreen I can't move the gun, only with one mod or two the gun is still moving when moving mouse while console is opened...

Weird, ET 2.60b gives me more FPS than ET:L
    Last edited by Dragonji; 2nd Sep 2012 at 12:04.

Most Recent Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonji View Post
    Weird, ET 2.60b gives me more FPS than ETL
    Exact opposite for me, I can get 125 stable not 1 drop on ET:L. ETMAIN = BAD DROPS

I'm not lazy tomorrow,I will install DX SDK and start to make some lighting changes(which are zomg,worst thing of Q3) on ET:L

Hope so!
    Gives great experience at OpenGL programming.

Hey. I just discovered, that GUID is incompatible with original's ET. I've made code that gives the same GUID when using ETXreaL as PB gave.

Prove (last 8 chars of cl_guid):
    etlegacy gives me: 26944D60
    etwolf: 7C16B513
    etxreal (my code): 7C16B513

It's quite different, so people will get XP reset when connect with ET: Legacy...

It was just fast look, but if i can help, tell me.