Discussion and ideas about qw

(Khamul) #1

Hey guyz! Unfortunately, the developers still have us in the ass, so finally, we should begin discussions about new ideas and plans, how can qw still be alive.But better late than never.Just write here only concrete ideas(dont spam, dont trolololo:P) :stroggbanana: .

• We should slowly introduce custom maps to the tournaments / leagues .
  • We should popularize leagues / cups . 21 teams in league, it is good score but we still can gather more teams

I will put here adress of mappack( 10 most important custom maps), when ashog will make this mappack. Its version for lazy gays.(danke schoon ashogie :P)

lalalalalal( i know my eng sucks)

(Runeforce) #2

Here’s a list, in random order, on what I think are the 12 maps that are most complete (not counting single objective maps):

[ul]
[li]Glory of the Weak[/li][li]Radar[/li][li]Nightraid (you can still get under the ground though. needs a fix.)[/li][li]Steedium Mines[/li][li]Sabotage[/li][li]Arctic Assault[/li][li]Retake of the Andes[/li][li]Free Spirit City[/li][li]Abusir[/li][li]Maridia[/li][li]Meltdown[/li][li]Construction Site[/li][/ul]

Maps I really like, but did not include: a) Tower. Unfortunately this map never made it out of pre-alpha. The two last objectices needs a lot of love. You can get under the ground. You can hide inside trees. b) Goldrush. Unfortunately you fall through the ground at various places. Other than that, this map is fairly complete. c) Back to Siwa Oasis. This map is almost as complete as it can be (gameplay-wise). Trickjumping paradise. But it needs optimizations (it’s laggy as hell, probs because of too many brushes). d) Estate (c3). This is almost complete. Small errors (spawn shows as capturable, when it is not) and strogg needs a forward spawn on the last obj. (or alternatively, move the last objective back to its original location and make the strogg forward spawn a joint forward spawn (like the very first spawn.)) e) Brinstar. The last objective is way too hard to destroy (it takes like 40 shots from the titan…which is impossible to get inside in more than a 4vs4. Make it a plant objective and the problem is solved.) f) Comlink. Visual glitches. g) Canal. This could be included, just did not include it because of personal preferences. h) Sky. great map, but same argument as on Canal. i) Retake of the Forums. This one is fairly hard for the GDF, especially the first objective. Last objective needs more love! j) Estate2. This looks promising, but is still work in-progress. k) Base. I consider this a work in progress (although no progress has been released in a long time.) Its not teleporter save! (You can use it to get under the ground and clip through walls).

(Gvardman) #3

Hey shlyha.
I think every promod player got ~10 keys… We could give key to people who don’t have one yet
And we should try to familiarize players from vanilla with Promod…

(Donnovan) #4

If SD will release something official they need BOTS!

(.Chris.) #5

Most of this is too late but here we go:

Ditch Ranked Servers

The stats site no longer works so the appeal of measuring and comparing your epenis on ranked servers is now gone.

Evenbalance have dropped support for ET:QW so punkbuster, which is required on ranked servers, is now obsolete and afaik causing lots of problems.

Community Patch/Mod

People aren’t just going to drop ranked servers, the server admins are mainly to blame for this imo, they much rather see their own servers populated rather than the game as a whole, this was shown during the last discussion when hardly any server admin dared make the switch as they were scared they would lose players.

Something that replaces the notion of ranked servers with something that does pretty much the same without any of the tight restrictions could be good for the game.

The first thing this mod would do is replace the ranked server filter with a “vanilla/classic mode” filter, this filter shows servers running the almost the same server config as a ranked server, only with punkbuster removed.

The mod would also include ETQW Pro, again having it’s own filter. Included with the mod would be server configs from all major tourneys.

Other mods could also be included, I don’t think anyone is going to update the other ones out there.

I don’t know if these mods can be added as a gametype or not, I’m not sure how you would seperate them within the same mod.

Packaged with the mod would be every major custom map, decided by the community, this would eliminate the multiple restart problems, removing one of the barriers that people have with custom content in ET:QW. I don’t know if it possible to ‘patch’ a mod in same way the base game can be but if so then updates and new maps could be ‘patched’ rather than client having to re-download the entire mod again.

This patch/mod would also be good opportunity to fix some exploits which I believe the QWTA mod already has like the icarus/door exploit.

(BabyBooM) #6

I think Chris has good points there, but we can’t do anything unless the admins would go unranked or a t least the admins with the most used servers. I think that PB may also be the reason of some lag issues so it would be nice if we could test this. And without ranked you could do much better servers IMO. Fore example do Inf only servers for the pew pew ppl and so on. And you could do custom ofc. There is really no reason for ranked, I dunno why this is such a big problem.

(Dthy) #7

These ideas are 4 years to late.

(rUBBEN) #8

Custom maps are developped and played by a little core of players, even compared to the little community. A lot of teams are still begining in ETQWpro, it means that they need time to understand teamplay, maps (the way to see the maps in ranked and in competition is really different), and mainly everything that samurai said in his guide.
Why should we add difficulty ?

When you have to run, you don’t begin sprinting or you will spit your lungs soon, it’s better to start slowly and to go quicker and quicker. It’s the exact same in ETQW, if we overflow the community with tournaments, maps, instead of focusing on QW people will have no time to do something the right way, and will get bored.

1 custom map - meltdown - has been added in the official mapset for the curent FTML season 1. Believe me, 3 weeks isn’t too much time to learn a map.

(Khamul) #9

I saw, that Crytiqal had own pub server.He probably would allow for experimentation.Of course its to late, but its better to do something, than sit and do nothing.

(Donnovan) #10

Not really late, since 4 years before would be impossible to consirer “Remove of Ranked”.

(.Chris.) #11

[QUOTE=rUBBEN;392631]Custom maps are developped and played by a little core of players, even compared to the little community. A lot of teams are still begining in ETQWpro, it means that they need time to understand teamplay, maps (the way to see the maps in ranked and in competition is really different), and mainly everything that samurai said in his guide.
Why should we add difficulty ?

When you have to run, you don’t begin sprinting or you will spit your lungs soon, it’s better to start slowly and to go quicker and quicker. It’s the exact same in ETQW, if we overflow the community with tournaments, maps, instead of focusing on QW people will have no time to do something the right way, and will get bored.

1 custom map - meltdown - has been added in the official mapset for the curent FTML season 1. Believe me, 3 weeks isn’t too much time to learn a map.[/QUOTE]

Not everyone wants to play in cups. Most players out there have played the same 12 maps for years now, they know how to play them…

Meltdown has been around for more than 3 years not 3 weeks anyway.

To help ET:QW you need to look beyond your own niche. My ideas are there to cater to all players not just competition players, in doing so you bridge the gap between each set of players and all should hopefully see the benefits. More cross play between each side of the coin and such, just getting more pubber into comp isn’t going to help anything.

(rUBBEN) #12

Please notice that the " pubbers " we introduced to competition last summer are far from the level they had last summer. Isn’t it a beautiful evidence of that QW isn’t dead ?
Gathering 20 people every night and play custom = a core 20 super-pro players. On the other hand, if you introduce players to a competition, the competition after they will be a bit better, and they will bring a friend team to the next, which will get better and invite another etc etc…
Ask all the players that signed-up for Falling leaves, asdf 6v6, Quick-Cup 2012, current FTM how many times they played meltdown, I doubt 1/3 of them even know the name.

I’m here talking about competitive part of QW because if you look a little bit on QW now you see max 300 players on QW, and 150 players are registered in FTM, and as Khamul said more team could sign-up. So yeah, to me, QW future = giving an interest to the remaining teams, and in my opinion, custom maps isn’t a real interest.

ZOMG THIS POST WAS SO ARROGANT

(.Chris.) #13

[QUOTE=rUBBEN;392635]Please notice that the " pubbers " we introduced to competition last summer are far from the level they had last summer. Isn’t it a beautiful evidence of that QW isn’t dead ?
Gathering 20 people every night and play custom = a core 20 super-pro players. On the other hand, if you introduce players to a competition, the competition after they will be a bit better, and they will bring a friend team to the next, which will get better and invite another etc etc…
Ask all the players that signed-up for Falling leaves, asdf 6v6, Quick-Cup 2012, current FTM how many times they played meltdown, I doubt 1/3 of them even know the name.

I’m here talking about competitive part of QW because if you look a little bit on QW now you see max 300 players on QW, and 150 players are registered in FTM, and as Khamul said more team could sign-up. So yeah, to me, QW future = giving an interest to the remaining teams, and in my opinion, custom maps isn’t a real interest.

ZOMG THIS POST WAS SO ARROGANT[/QUOTE]

Way to miss the point, again…

The whole idea is having them there in an accessible manner for people who want to try them, not for your league… The same with having a vanilla mode that doesn’t change anything and having an integrated pro mod and other mods.

The reasons why people don’t know much about custom maps has been discussed to death, I wont be going into that again, but yeah stick with 12v12 maps in 4v4 leagues by all means.

You want to fix the symptoms not the cause, good luck with that.

(Donnovan) #14

So why you put Meltdow on the competition? Its a action of charit? If yes, i believe Chris dismiss this kind action.

(Khamul) #15

Guys please finish this disputes, thanks for curious ideas Chris. If u want fight (CustomMaps Fans vs rubben), please dont write anymore… We should started introducing map earlier, much earlier. So 1/2 maps per season is good thing . Remember guys we are saying about QW not only cups/leagues/tournaments, but cups/leagues are very important thing of qw. 1/3 of qw players participate in leagues, and we can gather even 50 % ppl! I think we should popularize Nirvana, just 1 time at week we can try play on Nirvana, players really need new maps… not only ****ing 12 gaymaps.

SRY MY ENG SUCKS, and for inconsistent text !

(sereNADE) #16

I remember trying to start a movement to go unranked. It will never happen. The day I turned Perfect Cherry Blossom into an unranked server my own clanmate opened a new ranked server and 2 other NA players started new ranked servers. Forget that dream. Ranked or Promod, either promote one or the other but new life will not be breathed into etqw with some of the custom maps people are pushing here. Imo about half of them are totally awful and were even voted out of rotation by my clan in a custom map server I once ran.

(Donnovan) #17

They vote on politicians like they vote om maps? Byyyye!

(DrFunkenstein) #18

First things first, there are a couple of myths that need to be debunked.

1. Ranked servers and Punkbuster are not tied together, you can run a ranked server with Punkbuster disabled. I speak from experience.
  2. Admins of ranked servers are not to blame for the Fall of The Roman Empire, they’re not to blame for the fact that your sandwich always falls the wrong side down when you drop it, and they’re certainly not to blame for the downfall of this great game. Players vote with their feet, they’re the ones that decide what’s viable and what isn’t.

I have been vocal about the evil of ranked servers almost right from the start. It’s stupid, it’s unnecessarily restrictive and it encourages silly behaviour because people like to pimp there stats, even to this day. God knows why…

That said, ranked servers have their uses. Beginners flock to those and you need an influx of new players if you want to continue a community. There would be no community at all without ranked servers, it would have bled to death long time ago. Simply saying all ranked servers should go unranked serves no purpose. It would just hasten the demise.

My 2 euro cents.

Dr. Funkenstein

(rUBBEN) #19

+100

somechars

(Breo) #20

If we close all the ranked server right now, do you think everyone would play on a unranked server:confused: I don’t think so… a lot of players would quit.