Thread: Balancing the Weapon Shield

Most Recent Awards:

Balancing the Weapon Shield

Splash Damage,

Further to my Weapon Shield Redux thread, I thought I'd also post here on hope that your folks would manage at least one more Brink update considering your workload and the game's waning popularity.

First, a bit of background on my play style. I am foremost an AR user. You should know that in terms of number, I and those like me are in the minority in the average Brink match, and virtually nonexistent in an average competition-level match where the small machine gun reigns supreme in terms of effect and popularity. That isn't to say that the automatic rifles aren't forces to be reckoned with; they are still quite effective and more still since the last update. There are however instances where the AR is clearly outclassed, and yes, those instances are generally in situations where other weapons are supposed to fare better; i.e., in close quarters and extreme distances.

All I ask for is a minor incentive on an AR attachment (Weapon Shield) that seems to provide a very small benefit considering its enormous impact on a rifle's equip speed. There are several ideas I could propose to even things a bit when it's equipped, however, you're the experts and you are best equipped to dictate whether the things I propose are feasible and mesh with Brink's overall combat mechanic.

Keeping things simple, here are two ideas:

• Slightly increase the protective capability of the weapon shield by slightly reducing the effect of center mass damage. In other words, an opponent's weapon that has a, say, 1.0 center mass multiplier should be reduced five to ten percent against a shield-equipped player -- to 0.95 or 90. Is this too much of a reduction?
    • Grant shield users a percentage-based immunity or reduced knockdown effect from launched grenades. Grenade damage should still apply but reduced only slightly. This would help mitigate the tube-first-fire-second technique from AR players who abuse the underslung grenade launcher to first knock a player off his feet in a firefight, and will serve to even the odds against that tactic.

And now a bit of explanation on my aims. I am not looking to snuff out the superiority of other weapon classes that should be expected to fare better against an AR in a given situation. Yes, an SMG should ruin the day of any AR user in close quarters under ordinary circumstances, just as a shotgun should mangle both AR and SMG users in extreme close quarters. The things I suggest would not only reasonably close the gap somewhat for AR users that choose the shield as an attachment as a defense against certain weapons, but would help offset the primary drawback of severely reduced equip speed and provide somewhat more of an incentive for people to choose the middling style characteristic of an automatic rifle. I suspect weapon shield use is virtually nonexistent online because most have a hard time figuring out exactly what it does, or they see little if any return after equipping it.

The shield is a great idea in theory, but it can be better. In every review I've read that describes the weapon shield, nearly everyone found it difficult to explain precisely what it does aside from the stock "take cover from enemy fire and prevent headshot bonus damage behind riot-style shields." I am suggesting a improvement in the shield that can be felt enough to be described, so that threads attempting to flesh out exactly what its effect are aren't created and/or rehashed.

Thanks,

Redtail (Steam, 'RT1')
    Last edited by RT1; 5th Jan 2012 at 17:35.
    Steam ID: RT1 (Redtail)
    Brink Class: Soldier
    Preferred Weapons: Rokstedi AR, Tampa SMG.

Most Recent Awards:

Re: Balancing the Weapon Shield

Quickly searching through the threads in this forum, I across this one which seems to echo nearly half of what I mentioned above, particularly the bit about the shield granting knockdown immunity from grenades. FYI.

If I understood your post correctly, I think you misunderstand how the shield works exactly. Its just creates a small spot on your body which is invulnerable to bullets. Bullets that do not hit the shield do the exact same damage as they always do. Bullets that hit the shield do zero damage. So it just saves you from the occasional bullet. But, yes..it could use a buff. The fact that you can't use a front grip is a bigger drawback than the equip speed actually.
    Last edited by tangoliber; 6th Jan 2012 at 03:10.

Most Recent Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by tangoliber View Post
    If I understood your post correctly, I think you misunderstand how the shield works exactly. Its just creates a small spot on your body which is invulnerable to bullets.
    I'm aware of that, but it can still stand to be enhanced. Given how physically small the shield is, protective properties could only be so feasible until one has to step outside the shield's area of influence and grant "fantasy" properties (i.e., remove headshot bonus). That said, the shield can be thought of as symbolic more than anything; symbolic of a general buff to defensive capability even if they don't seem related to a physical 12-inch by 12-inch shield. No shield that small would prevent a person from being knocked off his feet by a grenade in reality, nor would it half the damage effect of a nine-millimeter bullet to the head, however, I still feel it could use the enhancements I suggested.