What SD game would you want to see next?

(Apples) #1

Oi Oi, I’m bored so just here to start a little poll, which can be usefull for SD I think, please say what you want “fixed” or kept in detail if you vote.

I personaly would really like to see ETQW 2 with, in priorities :

• DONT BREAK WHAT IS WORKING !!! (vehicle - inf - weapons balance // UI // General speed of the game // weaponbank and general customisation via cfg and console)

• Fixed netcode : that is the main etqw problem IMO, new engine can do the trick?

• Comp mod and SDK ready at day 1 : aim for a comp game, old quakers / etqw / W:ET ppl are STARVING for a decent comp game ala SD style.

• Reuse the old maps with some slight changes which can be grab from the community + A new batch of maps, keep it balanced with inf map only and vehicles + inf maps

• Better custom maps integration, thru a “sd label” or something which can bring some maps from custom to “official”, or even better, no freaking ranked server

• Keep stats personal, you can compare beetween you and your friends but no general leaderboards which bring grinds

I’ll add stuffs which may come to mind, and i’m sure other peoples have plenty of stuffs to say on the matter.

Peace

(edxot) #2

dont know if this is possible with today’s connections and cpus power. but i would like to see a game where the map kept changing over and over again.

it would require the server to generate the new random map and provide it for download between maps (probably infeasible).

however it would bring the excitement of exploring it, in each new map.

(tokamak) #3

Ad Diablo 3 shows, random usually means compromising on quality. A better solution for dynamic maps is to allow players to buy prefabs to construct their own base in an open-world sandbox. Though I think that the computing power still isn’t there yet.

(Breo) #4

Does SD have the publishing rights for W:ET, ETQW or Brink? If they don’t have it only “other” is left :0
A brand new IP maybe?

(tokamak) #5

All that IP belongs to Zenimax (Bethesda). Either SD buys the IP, which is unlikely. Or Zenimax hires SD to do something with it, which is equally unlikely as SD is working on their own publishing platform Warchest.

Soo the most likely outcome is that SD is now working on something similar to W:ET, a gateway drug to lure people to Warchest. That’s the whole vertical integration Paul is talking about. More companies are doing it, like Hi-Rez, Wargaming and Adhesive. But the big problem is that Valve was first and isn’t intend on passing the torch to any other company, even not giants like EA.

Still, an own publishing platform is very attractive to game developers so it’s always worth a shot. Hi-Rez is having their cake and eating it by putting Tribes on steam but requiring their own platform (Hi-Command) to be installed in order to play as well.

(SockDog) #6

SD have said they also have a major publisher title in the works.

(Humate) #7

^ From my understanding sockdog, thats for a console game.

(tokamak) #8

Now let’s pray that’s a different game entirely.

(rookie1) #9

So many war games out there…whish for a next blockbuster different game :slight_smile:

(H0RSE) #10

Based on the poll results, I don’t think most people actually want a W:ET remake or a ETQW sequel, but rather what they want is the gameplay and mechanics and features those games offered. If SD could capture what was great about those games, and implement them into a different package, I think a lot of players who voted for QW or W:ET would be happy. However, there are those players who would shun the idea, labeling it as “copying” or “ripping off” the original titles (can a developer even rip off their own work?) or the ‘purists’ who simply want everything like they remember - the setting, the atmosphere, the models, etc. just with a new coat of paint.

Personally, I would like to see a Brink 2. Basically, take everything in Brink that worked, and mix it with classic SD gameplay from the ET games.

(Wepohn) #11

[QUOTE=H0RSE;408591]Based on the poll results, I don’t think most people actually want a W:ET remake or a ETQW sequel, but rather what they want is the gameplay and mechanics and features those games offered. If SD could capture what was great about those games, and implement them into a different package, I think a lot of players who voted for QW or W:ET would be happy. However, there are those players who would shun the idea, labeling it as “copying” or “ripping off” the original titles (can a developer even rip off their own work?) or the ‘purists’ who simply want everything like they remember - the setting, the atmosphere, the models, etc. just with a new coat of paint.

Personally, I would like to see a Brink 2. Basically, take everything in Brink that worked, and mix it with classic SD gameplay from the ET games.[/QUOTE]

Sounds perfect, minus any XP system. I’m sad though, I’m getting old. SD, feel sorry for me and make the above game before my senses go further down hill.

Thanks.

(TruGamer97) #12

The amount of Brink 2 vote makes me a sad tapir. :stroggtapir:

(TheG4mer) #13

53 already? That is by far too much. I bet there are some double accounts involved.

(tokamak) #14

ET’s true potential, unlike that of many other series is still a long way of being met.

(Dragonji) #15

We hope so :slight_smile:

(murka) #16

After playing W:ET again at a lanparty i was really wondering why no game adds a system clock in it? Even if it was only included in the mods, I would really like to see it in newer games. It’s actually super handy when you’ve got somewhere to go or are doing something else, plus it should take under an hour to make. It’s minor details like this that make games enjoyable.

The mods/maps/download system should incorporate good sides of both games. Really hated when i had to download some clan soundpack in w:et. Would be awesome if the game displayed a full list of files to download and maybe even select the ones you want(ie when you just connect to get files but don’t want to join server). Also it would be rather troublesome if the engine reloaded multiple times when connecting to a server with mods so I’d like to see that streamlined.

Mouse acceleration could be a handy feature. Even though I barely use it, an extra degree of turning on a quick mouse flick is always handy. Maybe even with an adjustable power curve and/or a deadzone so the curve starts at a certain speed.

The idea of asymmetric teams in etqw was awesome. It added so much more depth to the game. Otherwise it would be like a boring battle with muskets where both teams stood in a line and shot each other. The strogg excelled in a specific way while the gdf was good in another. Weapons were largely different while having similar functions. This really brought the game into the rock-paper-scissors section.

Radar did take a lot out of teamwork and even personal skill. Knowing the exact moment when a person stepped through a doorway was no better than a person using a wallhack(and actually that made detecting hackers harder). This is something that should be certainly removed. It could be replaced with a target spotting system like in tribes:ascend where you aim at an enemy and press a button to tag him on the minimap.

Deployables probably wouldn’t fit a more infantry oriented gameplay but this could be compensated with a larger pool of devices(proxy/trip mines, 3rd eye camera, rc bomb car, etc.). Saw the idea of a decoy in another thread. It would actually be amazing to see how such a device worked which would emit footsteps, shooting and whatnot.

So yes, rather than a remake of w:et or etqw I’d like to see a game that took the best of both games and gave a new unique twist.

(StalkerDeaf) #17

Call Of Duty United Offensive - Do you love?

(StalkerDeaf) #18

Call Of Duty United Offensive Multiplayer GOOD :slight_smile:

(iwound) #19

orgy multiplayer. all the fun but none of the mess yay!

(Rex) #20

Dear StalkerDeaf, or deaf stalker? Anyway, I have bad news for you: This is not the Black Ops 2 forum. You found the Splash Damage forum instead, a forum where the players hate terrible games like CoD.