Punkbuster

(Patriotqube) #1

I have disabled punkbuster on our server for obvious reasons, was tired of seeing ppl getting kicked for a guid problem

well on my ETPro its not a biggie as i have tzac running there

but on the other servers i would like to have pb enabled again,

does someone know howto enable it so it still is possible for new ppl to connect and play without having a pbguid?

and i dont want a fake pb running as ive heard you can.

any help will be appreciated

(Smurfer) #2

Consider that new players have to get punkbuster updates that are no longer officially available. It’s my clear impression that you won’t get any new [fresh install] players if you have PB on. You might get 1 out of …20 to get a guid, update punkbuster manually-manually from some private page, then return to your server.
Also consider how many problems punkbuster gave you in the past & maybe leave that backstabbing apparatus to die a traitors death.

(avery) #3

What I would think of would be to go to silent mod. They create GUIDs for all players that connect to the server, which would allow the support of punkbuster to be on. I am having the same issue. I want punkbuster on, but it will just not work if I want new players on my server. Unforchantly Jaybird doesn’t develop much and creates this issue for any Jaymod server. It’s a shame he can’t just do what Silencer is doing and create that damn GUID generator!

(zbzero) #4

I have a etpro server and all days at night my server has ± 20 or more players and im running etpro with PB enable, so keep in mind that if the ppls like your server they will find a way to come :slight_smile:
I think you should add a pk3 ( http://etkey.org/pages/gameserver-administrator.php ) into your server and when a player disconnect by No guid they can read where they can download a new guid

(Patriotqube) #5

Thanks for the answers guys

atm we have:
1 public etpro with tzac so no problem there
1 silent server, with builtin guid system so np there
2 jay servers without any protection
1 noquarter server without any protection

if you look at the 2 rating sites we have, Splatterladder and Trackbase, they seems to treat servers differently, on trackbase your players will be rated also on nonpb servers, but not on SL.

Some ppl actually do think that a place on a rating list is important, and wont show up because of that.

Im already know spending lots of time telling ppl how to get a guid for their xps and stuff, but atleast i can make it now so they can join my server so i can help them, when i enable PB i dont get that chance, theyll never get on, and i know that fp3 zbzero, its just ive never seen anyone of the ppl beeing refused for guid by pb returning to our servers even tho i have had that attached so they could see what to do.

But if there aint any way of letting ppl without a guid on to a pb enabled server, well then i think il have to reconsider my ideas ;9

thx for answers

(schnoog) #6

I was asked several times to enable ranking on SL even for not protected server.
But I`m afraid thats turns SL toplist in NC-best buyer toplist.

(avery) #7

I would keep splatter ladder how it is. If you enable that, then it will be like trackbase

(Mateos) #8

Just lol.

(Since it needs a minimum amount of words)

(zbzero) #9

I check your servers today but i can tell you something nobody like play in a server with no protection i have sure im saying, if i was you i would start thinking in enable pb again, i was checking your servers today and i see no players in all the 5 servers you run, so why not enable PB??

(Mateos) #10

There is players only playing there because they have troubles with PB like lag. The others are cheaters ofc :stuck_out_tongue:

I have a friend who runs a clan and servers with no PB, they always have one or several admins in spec, and it’s fine like this.

In popular servers like this, let’s say Lost Legion? When I’m posting it is the most populated!

(avery) #11

Does anyone have the download for the updated punkbuster for ET? I am getting people kicked from my server because we have an old punkbuster update while all of the players have the updated punkbuster.

(schnoog) #12

Here you can find the latest files: http://etkey.org/pages/punkbuster/manual-installation.php

(Patriotqube) #13

so basically using the pb even tho its not supported and even tho it kicks ppl for new guids is what is beeing suggested?

Our servers has always been streamed to pbbans in the past our bf3 server still does.

but there got to be another way imo, pb is already now to old and not catching amny of the cheats

i can force lots of cvars on server there gotta be a way where i can make it kick/ban for the use of known cheatfiles, like the cvar scan from pbbans

@mateos
I personally dont have trouble with PB, so you are saying im cheating?

and the fact you have a random clanadmin sitting in spec isnt a security anyway, its the most stupiest ive heard, yeah i know its been introduced on trackbase site and accepted with the alternative cheatprotection, just plain dumb. ive known lots of clanplayers from my clan and from alot of others, and most of them dosent have a clue about what to look for, so their adminning is a random useless one, the people that knows most about this subject is also the people that dont have time to sit on server 24/7 as they have rl live to attend to.

some random fragger with the capability to kill 100 ppl per map is just useless as a cheatprotection.

PB abandoned US cant see the reason to stick to them, while infact that are causing trouble for us. there gotta be another way.

(Mateos) #14

I said it in general. I play on public servers with PB, but I can play on ETPro ones with/without PB.

(GIXLORDGIX) #15

I checked your server. your still using PB server side. Did you edit the PB folder?

(Mateos) #16

I dunno, I’m not the server admin :confused:

(Patriotqube) #17

I started PB on 1 of our servers just to see if that would keep kicking ppl for guid problems

also have 1 running with tzac

the last ones have pb disabled

im monitoring the servers carefully atm.

yes i know our servers aint the most populated ones atm, but they runs great most of the time and we ourselves uses them and have fun there