Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Boktor's Project

Re: Boktor's Project

LOD groups are really for long distances so I'd just rely on portals indoors except for massive rooms.

The portals will mostly take care of indoor performance I think, but if you got huge indoor areas with lots of stuff it won't hurt lodding there either. But LOD is in general more useful outside.

But just like in ET, lightning can be a huge performance eater, so better to optimize there first. Try to keep the number of lights to a minimum - better to spend some time putting them in optimal position for cool shadows and such, rather than adding them everywhere.

But if you got several objects scattered around, it can make sense to put them into a reference with a small LOD setup. I try to do this for everything, like crates and models that I use a lot. It's easier to adjust the LOD setup (and also do other adjustments) in one reference, rather than on every instance. References is your friend!

Remember that LOD grouping is not only useful for distance filter - they got some other parameters that can be quite useful (for some objects), like the occlusionTest, collision model, instancing, and the shadow setup.

I don't think I use any LOD groups for the "main" map (keeping them in refs instead), but I use a lot of editor groups in main - they are quite useful to hide and show stuff while you focus on something.

And thanks for the screenshot - can hardly wait to see what you "hide" there
    Last edited by Scrupus; 23rd Nov 2011 at 00:48.

Also on lighting, try and avoid light regions overlapping as this can have a big performance hit.

Update time

This is another shot of the main room. My plan is to have 5 or 6 objectives the Strogg need to destroy with infantry weapons in this area.
    I'm still not sure on what to do about lighting. I've been looking up images of warehouse lighting to get ideas. The SDK provides a lot of good models I can use, but nothing is suitable
    I want a dark ambient light like in the first shot (maybe lighter), but its too dark right now without light entities. The rest of the images have temporary ambient lighting so you can see better.

And here is what is behind the last images I took. You can see the entrance to the tunnel I first posted in the WIP thread.

And finally here's what it looks like so far.

Several things:
    Does anyone know where I can get some good low-poly models for my map? Like I said I'm looking for a model to use as large light fixtures. I don't know if I can come up with anything pretty out of brushes and patches.

Ignore the floating crane in the first set of images.

In Chris' map Brinstar there are these cool-looking models that I want to use as the objectives. They look some sort of vehicle assembly bot, but they are similar to in-game Strogg deployables in shape and size. I think those would be perfect

I have ideas for drone vents and where to put them.

There will be some strategically placed mounted GPMGs

Totally mostly useless light_sh4v0r's Avatar
    Most Recent Awards:

I think there are some prefab light fixture models in the SDK? Did you find the model exhibition map? (forgot its name or location, but there is a map with every model in the SDK in it for easy browsing.)
    We urgently require psi-tapirs!

illuminated hairremover
    -eitsch0r

I looked through the map you're talking about, but I didn't find anything good. The light fixtures in the official maps are rather small. I want the large industrial lights like the kind in large gym ceilings.

Industrial-Lighting.jpg
    I suppose if I really need to I can use brushwork since it will be fairly high up and far from players' sight.

I think Chris has been digging in the models folder in the SDK for some of his constructions. For example look in models/structures/strogg/weapons/deployables/anti-personell, where you find the leg for the APT. There are some other bits and parts around, not a lot but with some creative use you should be able to build some new and interesting strogg-style machinery, like Chris have done.

About the light fixtures I guess you can search a bit on the free model sites, I don't have any links at hand but pretty sure there are some. Maybe some of the prefabs or models from custom W:ET maps could work?

I think you should try using models rather than brushwork for those lights, but also note that you can easily export brushwork as model from EditWorld - Selcect->Export->Model. Not sure how good they will be tho, but worth a try?

I also remember when the SDK was released there was a guy who offered to build custom models for mappers. Don't remember his name atm, but I'm pretty sure he built some stuff for Vio, which is used in the Estate map(s).

About the screenshots, the brushwork and design is looking good

But I'm little bit worried about the size of the map, it might look a bit small. But if you aim mainly for smaller teams/comp style it's probably ok.

Not so sure about damaging objectives only either - it haven't worked too well in the few maps that have tried it so far, so I would keep the option open for alternatives until it's been tested in "real combat".

Anyway that's just my personal opinion, so take it as such

But i recommend to get some players to test it a bit before you add to much details, so you are sure the gameplay will work ok. A private test server can be provided if needed

That was my old clanmate Tront -

http://www.tront.co.uk/plugins/dallery_menu/

Feel free to use any of the models in Estate etc. For lighting I'd recommend the Stewart and Lloyd column with an AEI Amber 90w SOX lantern: http://www.tront.co.uk/download.php?view.43

Totally mostly useless light_sh4v0r's Avatar
    Most Recent Awards:

That lamppost is hardly functional in a industrial room.
    We urgently require psi-tapirs!

illuminated hairremover
    -eitsch0r

Quote Originally Posted by Boktor View Post
    I want the large industrial lights
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrupus View Post
    I don't have any links at hand
    Read this article. It might point to what you seek.
    Last edited by Runeforce; 29th Nov 2011 at 13:41.
    "Your bręking me hard!"

Quote Originally Posted by light_sh4v0r View Post
    That lamppost is hardly functional in a industrial room.
    I know - it was an old joke between me and Tront . I would personally make the lights out of patches if they're going to be high up, they don't need to be very detailed. Note that Tront's models are unskinned and pretty high poly so will need to be decimated (decimated and skinned versions of some can be found in the estate pk4) but are useful for rendering bump maps etc. in their original state.

Might be able to do something with this one -

http://www.tront.co.uk/download.php?view.47
    Last edited by Violator; 29th Nov 2011 at 13:51.

Most Recent Awards:

Light Shavor - I'm LighT_Sh4v0r, and as you can see <-- I am mostly useless
    tokamak - So you really brought up your girl to respond to a question asked by a bot?
    Tanzverbot - Ranked Servers - Protecting the public from racist cannibal vampire nazi servers since 2007
    Donnovan - I am really proud to know Chris. Sadly he waste his life with hardcore drink and sex.
    Brontoz - Seems like its Cristmas in rest of the World, i just didnt know it.

Quote Originally Posted by lakersforce View Post
    Read this article. It might point to what you seek.
    Thanks that link will definitely help in my search. So many "free" model sites are really awful.

I went on one of the sites Apples posted. I tried importing http://www.quality3dmodels.net/viewmodel.php?id=145 into editworld, but I got an error.
    It says: "Warning: ConvertLWOToModelSurfaces: model [thefilelocation/model.lwo] has too many verts for a poly! Make sure you triplet it down"
    I guess I need to decimate it? I opened up some of the parts in Blender and the entire thing has to be more than 10000 verts. Does anyone know what a good amount of verts is for an in-game model?

Even if I do find a model I will probably still have to do texturing(?), and I have no experience in that sort of thing. I just did some quick brush and patch work and made this test. Strogg for reference

I think it's decent. If it's going to be in-game it could use more detail, but it's not something players will really interact with. That bright light is a flare texture. The texture only seems to like being stretched to 4-sided shapes. Is there any way to get it to a nice circular shape? I'll even settle for a hexagon.

Anyway for this week and the next I am in study-mode for finals, so I won't be doing much for now! Scrupus if you see me on Tribes make sure I get off
    Last edited by Boktor; 30th Nov 2011 at 23:01.

hehe command accepted - if I see you online in Tribes I'll do my best to make you rage quit

The brushwork lamp looks good enough, go for that for now. 10000 polys is a lot for a model I think, not sure how much is normal for a low-poly but maybe you find some better ones later on. You could decimate it but it's probably not worth the effort. I'm pretty sure there is a set of lamps for W:ET (or maybe RTCW) posted somewhere, at least I got some in my etmain dev folder from long ago.

Well good luck further on, and hope we see a first-playable this year - added to the Santa Makron wishlist! :tounge:

I just finished my last final this morning. The project is now re-activated

I just noticed something weird with one of the textures on the walls. As you can see it's only in-game when I test it out with devmap...
    EDIT: I just fixed it so I'm taking down the image. It's here if you want to see it. I have no idea why it happened, but flipping the texture face horizontally seems to fix it.

Anyway, here's what the light-fixtures look like in game
    Last edited by Boktor; 15th Dec 2011 at 17:44.

Light-fixtures (and lightning) looks great, room details as well!

The texture problem happens sometimes, but as you''ve learned it's just to modify the texture properties a bit.

Sorry guys I had a long holiday.

When I'm placing a model I don't want to see it's shadow. However, the light affects some brushes. I want to see the brushes' shadows. Is there a key I can change to turn off the shadow-casting properties of a model?

Oh and Chris are you still up for this?

Quote Originally Posted by .Chris. View Post
    I'll make a short guide on how I did that objective on Brinstar at the weekend, but be warned that occasionally it doesn't work and the map can't be completed.