ETXreaL 0.3.0

(Tr3B) #1

You can download it from http://sourceforge.net/projects/xreal/files/ETXreaL/

This is a complete download. You don’t need any previous versions of ETXreaL.

EDIT: I replaced ETXreaL-0.3.0-20111106.7z with ETXreaL-0.3.0-20111110.7z that contains ETXreaL/etmain/*.so files so you don’t have to extract them. The pk3 files and binaries are still the same so there is no reason to update.

ETXreaL-0.3.0-20111106.7z

ETXreaL
* IMPORTANT: Changed media license for community contributions to “Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported”

* Changed required minimum OpenGL version to 3.2 on Windows
* 20 - 80% faster runtime speed by using better Visual Studio compiler options
* Replaced VS 2008 and SCons project files by Premake 4.3
* Changed default binary installation folders to bin/ to avoid conflicts between different architectures
* Improved r_softShadows quality and speed with irregular shadowmap sampling like in Crysis
* Implemented Exponential Variance Shadow Mapping to fight the VSM light bleeding problems
* Optimized tangent space calculations for ET skeletal models (big speed improvement if r_vboVertexSkinning 0)
* Fixed bugs concerning r_vboDeformVertexes
* Added more ET specific keywords to the .shader parser
* Added top-down view for r_showBspNodes
* Added engine version to the console
* Updated JPG loader to libjpeg 8c
* Added Omni-bot 0.81 to default etmain game
* Defaulted com_maxfps to 125
* Rewrote HDR tone mapping to use correct RGB <-> XYZ <-> Yxy color space conversions
* Added GUID system to generate etkeys which are sent as cl_guid
* Renamed r_dynamicLightCastShadows to r_dynamicLightShadows

ETXMap
* Improved ETXMap -map2map -format quake3 using additional support for worldspawn detail brushes
* Improved ETXMap -map2map -format quake3 to support texture coordinates without GtkRadiant 1.4
* Improved alternate BSP splitter algorithm for faster map compiles and better rendering speeds
* Updated JPG loader to libjpeg 8c
* Changed Unix home dir from .etwolf to .etxreal

ETMain
* Added over 1 GB new high resolution textures using diffuse, normal and specular material information
* Added replacement textures for battery and fueldump by Eonfge
* Added high quality skyboxes and models by AVOC
* Added fueldump additions by KeMoN
* Converted original ET maps to the Doom 3 .map format and added an etx_ prefix to them

If you find bugs then report them to http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=27204&atid=389772, please.

Have fun.

(Eonfge) #2

We are currently still very much in development face. Therefore, We encourage you to try it and to give your feedback. We currently make use of the original master server and protocol, so manual connection is the easiest.

The original maps are all supported and will all run. We do encourage mappers to switch to the etx_ format for maps. Rebuilding your map (see README, contact us or trial-and-error) will give you better graphics and will move your map to the next level.

Punkbuster is no longer available (doesn’t work anyway) so forget all problems about keys. Security is no longer based on obscurity, so public servers are advised to have admins. On the other hand, we do offer better protection against DOS attacks and etx is not compatible with all existing hacks.

NQ is supported on the old maps, and Jaymod is reported to work.

Public Servers:*

Enemy Territory:XreaL Server List

Optional URL’s:*

darkserver.it:27960 - test mod
83.141.24.119:27960 - ETX pure
et3.kernwaffe.de:27960 - No Quarter

We really encourage people to run their own server. If you do, would you kindly start it with the tag: [ETX]. It won’t do anything technically, but it will make it a lot easier for people to recognize all ETX servers. Also, contact me on IRC when you make a public server and want your server featured up here.

Known Errors

No etx_oasis - Whe did not include it because we miss the tunnel in the map.
Wrong waypoint/tooltip - A script error because the short-cuts in the code
Missing library for Linux - it’s in mp_bin, sorry for the mistake, you’ll have to extract the .pk3
Source missing/misplaced The source is inside a .pk3 and that makes no sense. You better get the source from GIT.

Seeing Max-Pretty
Most servers are still running the original maps because of the objective bugs. We are still working on that, but if you want to see all beauty, do the following:

Go to graphics and turn everything to High.
/devmap etx_goldrush (or any other etx_ map)
/bot ab 16 (have a fight!)

*these lists will be extended as we go along

(Avoc) #3

This is actually pretty good for a first release. Obviously you still need a lot of work on the visual side of things, but as long as the groundwork is laid, tweaking everything should be more simple.

I am in particular thinking of the HDR effect, which is simply too slow in the rampup/rampdown and generally unnatural (for example, in the axis beach base on battery, the ground goes dark for some reason.)

Had I only had as much time as I did a few years ago, I’d loved to help you guys out.

(Mateos) #4

Will try it out when I’ll be back at home with a good connection… Can not download anything yet ><

The changelog is impressive, thanks for all the work and hours you put in this project, it is living for public now :slight_smile:

(shiva) #5

And work fine with Nitmod 2.0 (173.242.125.120:27960).

(ischbinz) #6

wow the lighting of the flamer is awesome!
most things looks nice
but i found a bug too -
see no playermodels - only the md3 parts not the mdm/mdx

hope you can fix this - otherwise all my playermodels won t work with xreal :S

and each graphix change need minutes here if the game is running again :frowning:

(donmichelangelo) #7

Is this a modified model or the stock ET player model? Which OS and graphic driver version are you running on?

(ischbinz) #8

i just installed et xreal and followed the description in the readme
os is winxp sp3
ati catalyst 2010.1026.2246.39002

i tried with a modded playermodel too - same result

(Tr3B) #9

If you have problems with the skeletal models then try r_vboVertexSkinning 0 and vid_restart.

(zbzero) #10

im downloading it now!!
Thank you all for make it possible for who loves ET, if it was running ok gonna startup a server!!

(Dragonji) #11

Does XreaL support multi processing (it’s r_smp in Q3Engine)?

(hellreturn) #12

What I am doing wrong? I tried to join all 3 servers mentioned in one of the post and in all I was having problem.

Any help would be much appreciated.

(ag0n) #13

Well, first of all THANK YOU for your work and dedication to this game. I guess i can speak for everyone out there, we are really happy and thankful for that.

Now speaking about business, and i don’t really know if some of the stuff i’m gonna tell you is out of boundaries, here i go:

• the game needs a minimizer, just like etmin.exe (alt+z would be cool!)
  • as a moviemaker i would LOVE if you could add this features to the engine, not only to a mod, http://q3mme.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=announcements&action=display&thread=351
    q3 mme is a mod for q3 that allows moviemakers to do some awesome stuff, like record with motionblur, dof, unlimited tga’s, etc etc (check their change list for details… the released the source code, it would be great to add it!)
  • the engine has a bug for long time… timescale 0.0 is not really 0, it keeps moving… same goes to FPS… the math is ****edup, if we record with 300 fps (cl_avidemo 300), it records with 333 in fact… would be great if you could fix this.

About this release:

• the map loading is very slow comparing to normal et…and i get this annoying black screen with a yellow dot instead of the loading screen!
  • the fps seems kinda unstable with my moviemaker cfg, comparing to normal et
  • etx_battery should have blue water texture instead! :smiley:
  • remove the old maps and force the new etx_ imo
  • spotted some misplaced or ****edup textures (they are way to dark comparing to other textures around)
  • r_smp is ****edup
  • vid_restart takes ages
  • etx_radar floor is way too green comparing to default, and the foliage is not showing up, even using r_drawfoliage 1
  • etx_railgun doesn’t seem to have… a sky texture? :o or is it just me?
  • etx_fieldump ice river doesn’t seem to fit, although it looks god… maybe the color is just too much intense, no idea
  • r_flares doesn’t seem to have any effect, even using a bigger size
  • at etx_goldrush i keep dieing near gold door http://i.imgur.com/7rK5L.jpg , feels like there is a “barrier” there

Either way i am happy with your work so far, it clearly needs some extra work to polish the lines, but looks promising so far :>

took some screens with my moviemaking cfg, it clearly needs some tweaking to work with etx because the color settings doesn’t look exactly the same at etx comparing to et

(color correction)

Cheers

edit: looking forward to apply this kind of colors at new etx_battery http://www.own3d.tv/video/10398/Battery_color_test

(Nitrox_) #14

I’ve noticed this server on trackbase, but for some reason i can’t join it… :eek:

Couldn’t load an official pak blablabla, it’s been a while since i have seen this error!

Any idea what could be wrong with my ETXreal installation ? :frowning:

Edit: I forgot to mention, whenever i load a map with ETXreal, the loading screen is completely black, with one little campaing pin. Is this a bug ? Or is it just me ?

I’m running Windows 7, here’s the drivers info i found in Catalyst:
Driver Packaging Version 8.892-110914m-125029C-ATI
Catalyst Version 11.9
2D Driver Version 8.01.01.1186
Direct3D Version 7.14.10.0860
OpenGL Version 6.14.10.11079
AMD VISION Engine Control Center Version 2011.0908.1355.23115
AMD Audio Driver Version 7.12.0.7702

(Eonfge) #15

Thanks for your replay, I’ll try to answer some of your problems and and i’ll make notes of the stuff thats wrong, so it will be patched.

• The game supports Alt-Tab in the default windows way, if you want to minimize it desktop, you can use the windows bottom for minamize-all-to-desktop. We don’t support the alt-z way, because it’s not supposed to work in that way.

• For movie making, I advice Fraps, Camtasia or similar. For now, it’s not on the radar, but i’ll pas the mod on. De mind, if it’s not GPL, it’s a no-go.

• Original .cfg’s activate things no longer required or advised for etx. A clean start is best.

• We can’t remove the old maps, you installed them your self by pasting pak0 into the directory. Ofcourse we can make them incompatible, but that would do more harm then good.

• Texture Lighting is a work in progress. Some are ***ed up but that’s something we know and try to fix.

• r_smp is a work in progress, that’s also why you won’t find it in the options menu. Better not use it.

• etx_radar is indeed a little weird. It’s the first thing I’m going to work on in the next few days. This also goes for the ice.

• etx_railgun sky, is a little poor to start with, no terrible loss their. I hope we can add the AvoC textures for next launch.

• The bug near the gold door sounds familiar, but later tests did not show it. Please confirm that it’s the latest (clean) build and try to give us some more info about the config if the problem persists.

General Help

Make sure you got a clean install and copy-paste pak0, pak1 and pak2 in the etmain folder (technically speaking, you’re now a pirate :rolleyes:). If you start ETX and configure your game. to check if all works, go to /devmap etx_goldrush

If that all works, then it might be a networking issue. Also, these servers are also under development, so they will go on and off occasionally.

Also, by the look of it N!trox, you try to connect to a normal server with ETX. This is possible, in theory (the code and network protocols are identical). In reality, it won’t work because of pure servers. Everyone runs pure servers to prevent side loading of exploits. Therefore, you can’t connect to (modded) servers. It’s not a 100% system and there are a few hacks that can help you with it, but I strongly disprove that!

The next release will likely have it’s own master server and protocol. From that point on, we go our own way, slowly sailing away from Port Splash Damage…

*For all Europeans: http://tinyurl.com/c7eoo69

(Indloon) #16

Oh damn.

I can’t play currently ET:Xreal … well that’s the result if you have crappy video-card.

However, the screenshots posted by ag0n look damn nice. Great work, though!

Pst! Color correction fragment shader could added, I believe that there’s ASM( yeah, GLSL didn’t exist that time ) color correction fragment shader floating somewhere on NeHe’s OGL tutorials. Although the theory of it is quite simple( GPU Gems? )

(ag0n) #17

[QUOTE=Eonfge;384485]Thanks for your replay, I’ll try to answer some of your problems and and i’ll make notes of the stuff thats wrong, so it will be patched.

• The game supports Alt-Tab in the default windows way, if you want to minimize it desktop, you can use the windows bottom for minamize-all-to-desktop. We don’t support the alt-z way, because it’s not supposed to work in that way.

• For movie making, I advice Fraps, Camtasia or similar. For now, it’s not on the radar, but i’ll pas the mod on. De mind, if it’s not GPL, it’s a no-go.

• Original .cfg’s activate things no longer required or advised for etx. A clean start is best.

• We can’t remove the old maps, you installed them your self by pasting pak0 into the directory. Ofcourse we can make them incompatible, but that would do more harm then good.

• Texture Lighting is a work in progress. Some are ***ed up but that’s something we know and try to fix.

• r_smp is a work in progress, that’s also why you won’t find it in the options menu. Better not use it.

• etx_radar is indeed a little weird. It’s the first thing I’m going to work on in the next few days. This also goes for the ice.

• etx_railgun sky, is a little poor to start with, no terrible loss their. I hope we can add the AvoC textures for next launch.

• The bug near the gold door sounds familiar, but later tests did not show it. Please confirm that it’s the latest (clean) build and try to give us some more info about the config if the problem persists.

General Help

Make sure you got a clean install and copy-paste pak0, pak1 and pak2 in the etmain folder (technically speaking, you’re now a pirate :rolleyes:). If you start ETX and configure your game. to check if all works, go to /devmap etx_goldrush

If that all works, then it might be a networking issue. Also, these servers are also under development, so they will go on and off occasionally.

Also, by the look of it N!trox, you try to connect to a normal server with ETX. This is possible, in theory (the code and network protocols are identical). In reality, it won’t work because of pure servers. Everyone runs pure servers to prevent side loading of exploits. Therefore, you can’t connect to (modded) servers. It’s not a 100% system and there are a few hacks that can help you with it, but I strongly disprove that!

The next release will likely have it’s own master server and protocol. From that point on, we go our own way, slowly sailing away from Port Splash Damage…

*For all Europeans: http://tinyurl.com/c7eoo69[/QUOTE]

Alright, thank you for the answer! But i need to comment some stuff, so:

• Alt+tab is not a solution for people that uses fullscreen, doesn’t work. Since most people plays at fullscreen…well… either way it was just a request, no need to implement it if you don’t want

• Even cl_Avidemo is better than any other 3rd party tool just like the ones you said. Whats the point of trying to have a good raw image with True 64 bit HDR n stuff, if i’m gonna use such a bad program? :>

• I’m sure it’s a clean install because i never tested etx like that before, i created a whole new folder. I am pretty sure either that i was using etx_goldrush. There was a invisible barrier, stealing my life! Don’t know if it could help you but i was alone at the server, allies team… I wasn’t playing at a server, i just did /devmap

• I guess the last point pretty much destroys all your “General Help” topic :> never tried to connect to a server, other than devmap …

Thanks for your time!

(Dragonji) #18

Readme file -> Known issues -> * broken map loading screen

(Mirqli) #19

Nice work!

I did a short video to showcase some footage of the gameplay:

//youtu.be/d9fFV-PQ-8E

It’s unedited so thats how the game looks like.

(shiva) #20

Hello N!trox, join at server with versión 2.60b, the server only have the engine etxreal-dedicated, the work do Nitmod (congratulations good mod). If your start with etxreal.exe its normal de black screen, takes a while to get the client to the game etxreal.

Excuse me so bad that I have English, why not go to school?