Is this game dead already?

(Warden) #1

Hello,
Every time I look at the server list, there is not many players online. Is this game already dead? I want to play on a full server, but, there is none. Or am I blind and can not see the full ones? :confused:

(Ruben0s) #2

no this game is not deadā€¦ itā€™s splashdamages biggest succes.

(DrpPlates) #3

PC- version, yes- its deadā€¦

(INF3RN0) #4

Many people own the game, few play it. Wolfnem would call that a success.

(Fetter) #5

The game is pretty dead on PC right now, though that might change with the new patch, especially if thereā€™s a free weekend to go with it. The last free weekend sparked a strong resurgence.

(DrpPlates) #6

a strong resurgence, that quickly (emphasis on quickly) disappearedā€¦
i dont see a patch (dont care how big) bring the masses back to PCā€¦
the game just aint that goodā€¦ wish it wasā€¦ but itā€™s notā€¦

(Fetter) #7

Eh. The fundamentals of BRINK are very strong, but it suffered from a botched launch and unusual mechanics that many players werenā€™t willing to put the time into. Tightening the spread-- while it will IMO make the game less distinct in many ways-- will go a long way towards increasing the gameā€™s mainstream appeal, and if this goes along with a free weekend or similar incentivization I think people will stick around longer, despite the game becoming somewhat less unique.

(INF3RN0) #8

Your right in saying crappy weapon mechanics makes it unique LOL! Mainstream=less valid hit boxes, spray spread, instant death, zero aim skill. Tight-Spread ET style=Importance of precise aim, increased aim difficulty, increase of competitive atmosphere. I think you either never played any other SD game or have been eating too many paint chips.

(tangoliber) #9

Iā€™ve fallen out of love with this game at times due to the spread, but recently I have been enjoying the hell out of it. The teamwork is what has made me addicted to the game, but also the flow of the combat. I think the game plays really well at a level somewhere in between casual and competition.

But yea, calling the community dead would be accurate.

(Fetter) #10

I personally find less accurate weapons-- and thus higher TTK-- really helps showcase the SMART system and other elements of BRINK. If weapons were more accurate and damage were lowered, that would be ideal, but with the present damage values tightening the spread will make BRINK much more generic, as with lower TTKs there will be much less of a reason to maneuver during combat and some of the cool stunts that define BRINK gameplay will no longer be viable.

And Iā€™ve played W:ET for some time before, though Iā€™ll freely admit I skipped Quake Wars.

(tangoliber) #11

I agree that just making it more accurate without lowering damage would be a bad move. I think most all of us like the high TTKā€¦we just wish it was done by higher accuracy and lower damage.
I am thankful for the higher TTKā€¦its one of the reasons, among others, that Brink is probably the best multiplayer game released this year. Its just that we are comparing it to the classics of past years.

(zenstar) #12

I think you left the word ā€œpotentialā€ out just before ā€œmultiplayerā€.
Also possibly the phrase ā€œthat has had an unfortunate early deathā€.

Brink has a great concept and world but it fell far short of itā€™s potential and has pretty much been abandoned by the community now.
At the current state itā€™s in Iā€™d hazard that a rerelease of Contra would see more play than Brink has enjoyed. Duke Nukem Forever outlived it for fragā€™s sake. In fact (at tiem of writing this) Duke Nukem Forever is still in the steam top 100. An accolade long since lost by Brink. And DNF is a multiplayer game that was released this year, less than a month after Brink even though Brink hasnā€™t been in the top 100 for over a month.

Sad but true.

(Ruben0s) #13

how can a game that lost 99% of its playerbase after one month be the best multiplayer game released this year?

(Fetter) #14

Shadowrun was a great game and got abandoned fast as well. Sadly, there are a lot of factors other than pure quality that go into determining whether a game is popular.

(light_sh4v0r) #15

That may be true, but in this case quality did play a huge partā€¦

(Breo) #16

I know how they can save Brink: with a zombie map :tongue:

(wolfnemesis75) #17

[QUOTE=INF3RN0;383856]Many people own the game, few play it. Wolfnem would call that a success.[/QUOTE]Er, on Xbox it certainly was. Ahead of its time. Fun times. Thanks for the shout out again! Peace, bro. :slight_smile:

(Crytiqal) #18

it wasā€¦? so having a game survive for 1-2 months is awesome?

lol, some die-hard fan you are rofl.

(INF3RN0) #19

Again you fail to realize that the basic concept of the game was done already. It was called Wolf:ET and it was a huge success. So obviously it was the execution and failure to uphold the past values in Brink that was to blame and nothing more. Peace, bro. :slight_smile:

(tangoliber) #20

I also like Resistance 3 and Nuclear Dawn. I would say that Natural Selection 2 Beta is the best this year, but it went online last year I believe. But I like Brink better than those first two. I think it is very addciting, and its one game that I always feel like starting up. Plus, I seem to often get really close games in Brink, which is probably the most important thing of all.

I didnā€™t like Killzone 3 (loved Killzone 2), Crysis 2, Battlefield 3 Beta. Iā€™m not sure about Tribes: Ascend yetā€¦I need to get decent at that game before I decide if I like it.