How many of you are glad there are Operatives,not Snipers?

(I'mInDisguise!) #1

I know I am! The Operatives are a hell of alot better in Brink than the Spies in TF2,and a sniper class would be a bit useless as most of Brink is fast paced CQC

(BioSnark) #2

“a sniper class would be a bit useless” like the operative? When I played Brink, the only non-obj classes I ever wanted to see on my team were medics and engineers. True story.

(Stormchild) #3

gah, not the comparisions with TF2 again !

anyway, yeah, the operative is nothing like a sniper, who only… snipe. (yeah it can shoot a bow blabla also).

Actually the more efficient sniping is done with engy or soldier imo.

(tangoliber) #4

In a class-based game, I don’t think you should have classes that are just based around a weapon type.

Having a limited weapon selection for each class can be interesting, but you need some good class abilities to go with it.

(tokamak) #5

Funnily enough, thanks to the high spread the sniper rifle is still a ridiculously powerful gun in certain situations. After a certain (rather short) range it has completely free reign simply because the other guns, even the rockstedi, can’t match it any more.

Let’s see in how far the next patch manages to even that out again.

(coolstory) #6

No sniper would be useful but SD decided to nerf the sniper (no ohk) which I am okay with. But srsly not having the option to change sensitivity when zoomed in and not be able to move after shooting is so stupid.

(tokamak) #7

Compared to all the other weapons, the sniper becomes completely unrivalled after quite a short range.

(INF3RN0) #8

I found the Brink sniper to be usable at close quarters with pre-scoping hallways, but I do think that the ETQW sniper was at least 100x more well designed.

(tokamak) #9

What redeemed the ETQW sniper was that the accurised rifle and lacerator have a really long range as well, so it can be countered to a really decent extend before you start fighting at ranges where only the sniper can win (usually the typical mountain hugger type of play).

(BioSnark) #10

also gmpg, depending on range, icarus, depending on the sniper’s accuracy, and guided arty.

(taodemon) #11

I use a Drognav with ironsites/rapid fire as my main weapon for combat of all ranges. The fact that it hits what I aim at with minimal random spread makes it less painful to use than the various other weapons. I also don’t have to deal with this while using it. It becomes more of a matter of my aiming skills than the random number generator.

(INF3RN0) #12

On the most basic level, an average player would feel most comfortable using the sniper in a hill camping method, but it’s design allows for use in nearly any situation (same as the scoped). Scoped/accur weapons allow you to miss more in all situations though plus the hip fire ability, while the sniper rifle is completely dependent on accuracy. Quick scoping makes for a much more exciting use, as all the same rules apply, but requires much more reflexive aim.

Some people think sniping should not be viable at close quarters and that quick scoping is cheap, which is why the Brink sniper functions the way it does. I’d challenge every person against it to prove how “easy” it is to use the ETQW sniper in close combat (as most I am quite sure are just on the receiving end), but of course they are always unable to do so. There is a very important lesson in separating what is a real issue of weapon imbalance and the part where you simply rage when someone kills you because they have ability where you are lacking. And that’s how we got Brink folks.

(Teufel_Eldritch) #13

I like Op & I’m glad he’s in BRINK.

(tokamak) #14

It may be a very difficult trick to learn, I don’t think anyone is saying it’s an easy thing to do. But it’s still an unintended function of the weapon which makes it venture beyond it’s intended purpose.

But that’s a different issue from the sniper in Brink. Which I hope will be caught up in the next patch.

(wolfnemesis75) #15

I agree with the OP, I like this feature of Brink as well.

(gooey79) #16

Could’ve worked. F’rinstance, ET:QW had the Covert Ops able to carry a sniper rifle.

I guess when people think ‘sniper’ they think ‘Call of Duty quickscoping’, which doesn’t have to be the case.

(Humate) #17

[QUOTE=tokamak;379478]It may be a very difficult trick to learn, I don’t think anyone is saying it’s an easy thing to do. But it’s still an unintended function of the weapon which makes it venture beyond it’s intended purpose.
[/QUOTE]

Thats predicated on your definition of what is intended though.
Should players not use the acc lacc in close?
Should rockets only be used against vehicles and deployables?
Should the hyperblaster on the hog only be used against infantry?

In SC2 protoss players are now only starting to use the warp prism as a way to nullify EMPs on their high templar.
Should they not be doing that? Or is it a case of - if its in the game it was intended? :slight_smile:

(taodemon) #18

In brink every class can be a “sniper”, some better than others though.

(tokamak) #19

[QUOTE=Humate;379559]Should players not use the acc lacc in close?
Should rockets only be used against vehicles and deployables?
Should the hyperblaster on the hog only be used against infantry?[/QUOTE]

All those examples demonstrate a substantially lower effectiveness once they venture outside of their niche. The quickscope sniper however, not so. It’s an obvious exploit rather than a tactic or improvisation.

And don’t think Blizzard doesn’t respond to new inventions. They apply (bi)monthly patches to balance the meta game.

(H0RSE) #20

In games that have snipers, whether it be a dedicated class or simply a weapon, they are my absolute most hated aspect. I. Hate. Snipers. I hate playing them and I hate playing against them. Now having a “spinoff” class of a sniper, like Operative or Recon, is not the same thing. In Battlefield, I play Recon quite often - but I pretty much exclusively use shotguns and really only use the class for the motion mines (something a sniper 4 miles away can’t really use to help his team)