Battlefield 3

(LyndonL) #1

http://www.coregamer.co.uk/2010/10/26/dice-battlefield-3-not-to-be-consolised/

PC Gaming has some life in it yet. Hopefully. I’m looking forward to the Beta.

(brbrbr) #2

best part of DICE creations is … SP part.
starting from 1st one, aka “… Codename IceMan”.

(SockDog) #3

Believe it when I see it. It’s not hard saying you’re going to do this and that but when it comes down to a design decision that is going to cost money we start to see the compromises creep in or take over.

Also, don’t understand this.

They tend to play only on PC, and they know their PCs have capabilities beyond that of a console. The gap is narrowing, but PCs still have a clear advantage in memory.

How exactly does 5 year old console technology narrow a gap on a continually improving platform?

(stealth6) #4

I purchased my first ever product made by DICE this year - battlefield bad company 2

Well let’s just put it this way: I don’t think I’ll be buying anything they made any time soon :smiley:

(I only play mulitplayer though so, make of that what you like…)

But I don’t think it’s DICE’s fault I think EA is ruining their image.

(Slade05) #5

It`s quite discouraging to think of battlecrap in terms of life preserver, you know?

(LyndonL) #6

Wow lots of hating on BF. I quite like BC2. The game itself is enjoyable when you CBF concentrating. The only thing I don’t like about it is the initial balance (God-awful weapons until you level up and get sights, new guns etc) and the amount of people with cheats these days.

(brbrbr) #7

compared … to what ?
for example in BF absence[as other games at all], you can say same … about tetris game.
“WoW !! Spectacular FX’es/GFX ! Wonderful scenario ! Hearthbreaking imersion and gameplay !!” ©
and no, DICE can do Better.
as well as CryTek team.
talking about MP context.
trying to sell [slightly evolved]gameplay from Q1/TF1 times isn’t road ahead.
in both senses.

(stealth6) #8

Sure the game is amusing and I still play it, but it’s more due to lack of better then it actually being a good game I want to play.

I don’t know about you but when I’m the top player in my team and the game suddenly crashes to desktop with no warning or error message… Ye kinda makes me think it’s a bad game.

And balance? I don’t think DICE knows the meaning of it haha. To give you a very recent example… the latest patch. About a week or less? old.

They made the turning speed of the VADS faster and the knockback lower. I can agree the vads was a little too slow before, but now I can effortlessly take out a chopper. The chopper hasn’t got a single advantage over the vads it’s like a dam aimbot.

Another sign that DICE is making obviously gigantic mistakes in their games is apparent if you’ve been to their forums lol…
It’s just trolling / flaming / etc… 24/7

I can’t agree with you about the cheating though. I really haven’t seen that many, but it’s possible that a few are going under the radar. The bigger problem is everybody crying wolf all the time, I can’t even count the amount of times on both hands that people have called me out for some kind of hack.

Anyway I could go on and on about how ‘well made’ that game is, so I’ll just stop here :smiley:

(brbrbr) #9

in short, main tip is:

1. focus on GAMEPLAY !!

p.s.
not on GFX/FX’s.
keep teams rolling/motivate. various kind of people/teams.
isn’t easy, but you can.
do it.
and benefited 4om result.
not only economically.

(LyndonL) #10

You’re being sarcastic and ironic brbrbr, how refreshing…

I find the gameplay (once you’ve levelled up to about level 5) to be quite fun in BC2. Sure it’s not deep, but geez, nor is the movie Liar Liar and I find that movie hilarious.

I might suggest you check your computer Stealth… I haven’t had a single crash on BC2 and my last computer prior to just upgrading was ridiculously unstable!! (I’m talking it needs to be it several times to just turn ON and get past the POST!)

But yeah the balance is crap, but the actual maps are very fun as far as I’m concerned. Plus how satisfying is it when some level 50 bastard’s been owning everyone with a shotgun from across the map (yeah, he’s not cheating) and then you manage to get behind them and take their tags. :smiley:

(stealth6) #11

well lol, I don’t have the crashing anymore since the latest patch (well I also haven’t been playing as much)

But I can assure you it wasn’t my computer basically everybody I know has had it. Also check the DICE forums there are roughly 200 topics on the subject. It’s even the first time that I heard the term CTD (crash to desktop)

and sure it’s fun and the maps are cool, but there are only 6 maps. or less? Kinda gets boring fast. Now I can literally predict what a whole team is doing. I know all the camping spots, all the glitches…

I don’t really care about the ‘deepness’ of games as long as it’s fun, but in bc2 there are too many ways of being an ass.
For example in ET you had a panzerfaust, that was most of the time the ass of the enemy team, always panzernoobing himself to get a kill.

Well in BC2, you have gustav (panzer equivalent), C4, grenade launchers… I don’t really mind these weapons though mind you, but it is rather annoying when a few guys on the enemy team only use these weapons 24/7. So as soon as you pop your head out you explode.

And the programming on the whole game just seems to be sloppy. In order for then to make a patch or when they want to make a ‘hot fix’ they have to ‘cook’ the code for 48 hours. Can you even imagine that?
So if there is a slight mistake they have to fx it, then wait 48 hours to test it, then if they notice it’s still broken they have to repeat the process.

Plus lack of new maps will eventually kill the game. Now they are releasing the vietnam pack, but the 2 games can’t be combined. So the vietnam maps can only be played in vietnam mode, and the current maps only in their current modes.
I don’t even understand how that makes sense to them? It’s like 2 completely seperate games, but they called it an expansion pack? The only thing that connects it to BC2 is that you need BC2 to play it, ok fair enough but as for expanding the current game… No.

Anyway one thing that was nice in BC2 were the vehicles, had a lot of fun flying the helicopters and that’s probably the only thing I’ll miss in other games.

Summary:

• Interesting graphics
  • Cool effect with the bullet drop (but thanks to this big problems with hit registration)
  • Fun maps (but lack of and no tools supplied to make your own)
  • Fun gameplay (but limited and glitchy)

So all in all it’s like I paid 50 euros to play an alpha / beta.
But I’ll probably keep playing it till level 50 before calling it a day, I’m @ 47 atm so just a little bit to go.
Hopefully I can get there before Blackops comes out :stuck_out_tongue:
My stats: http://bfbcs.com/stats_pc/stealth6666

(brbrbr) #12

or in short “its appear to be nice game. sometimes. but nothing to play with/for. sadly” ?
if im need Quake i launch any kind of [modern]Q1 forks, but when we talk about nowdays state of [online]FPS gameplay, there someone should [start]inventing wheel.
and yes, absence of SDK’s and similar stuff - prevent plaayers from helping DICE dev’s from notice main vectors in gamers/players needs.
and as said again, brightest part of it is … storyline and single-player part of it.
if dev’s come with same level of efforts, creativity &etc to MP evolving[into something more or less interesting/challenging/worth spending time/money], maybe something happen, then.

(LyndonL) #13

Ok I agree. All your points are true. I don’t like the lack of maps either, but then again that’s never a large problem long term (take CounterStrike for example… how long’s that been played with limited maps now?)

So yeah, there are a lot of frustrating things about the game that piss me off, but at the end of the day the fun elements outweigh it enough that I can play it once or twice a week for some laughs.

I’m only level 29, since I don’t play it that much… so it’s still rather interesting to me, but I can see after level 47 it might start to drag lol.

(stealth6) #14

well yer, once or twice a week then it’s fun, but for actual competetive play, or serious playing not really.

(LyndonL) #15

Competetive play? CBF with all the BS that goes along with it. I just like to play with friends :slight_smile:

(brbrbr) #16

see ? entertainment market is segmented.
one players/consumers - want one. others - others[feats].
so expecting from one title, to satify number of[five ? ten? more ?]target auditories “x-in-one” is road to nowhere.
except, for products designed EXACTLY for such purpose.
with adequate budget, timeline and HR resources and experience.
as implemented in sandbox-style i shoukd notice [well-made. except multiplayer]Crysis[but not crippled Warhead sequel or Crysis Wars].

(Apples) #17

I fear that the only BF I loved and still play is 1942… It was choppy as heck but fun :wink:

(brbrbr) #18

yeah, im still play Elite 1/2 in DosBox, as well as TESII and Battle Command and some MOO/RTS hybrids from early-mid 199x’s.
for example.
point is in Subj-context, ie"Battlefield 3" is almost nothing to say.
nothing [really]good.

(ahava29) #19

I heard about this game from my friends so many times but never I have seen the trailer of this game but after reading the posts in this thread I am inspire to know more about this game.