W:ET 's future : Enemy Territory 2 ??

(||---pego---||) #1

Hi, I’ve been playing Wolf.ET since 2006 and I loved it and I’m still playing it. However the graphics have been killing my eyes for years now !! ANd I am worried for ET’s future, because a lots of people have been quitting ET community these days… and ET lost few ranks in the most played FPSes.

So here what 2 propositions to think about:
1_ Creating an HD version of ET to give it a big punch :eek: or just Editting the actual game by making a new patch that improves the 3D models(polygones…) and the textures in order to make the game Up to date and ready to hit more years in the top 10 most played Online games.

2_Or just making a new Enemy Territory (ET 2 ?), wich will give the devs the chance to add more game mods or even improve the gameplay and put more content in it (+better graphics)

Make comments and tell what you think about ET’s Future :wink:

(stealth6) #2

What are you waiting for? Source is available knock yourself out!

(acQu) #3

Yeah do it yourself lol :wink:

(||---pego---||) #4

Lol , I can’t do it alone ! I should creat a team, or something.
But i didn’t start the thread for this, I did it in roder to get other people’s ideas to make a new versoin…

(stealth6) #5

Well the point is that there are already countless threads on the subject, just take a look around these forums.

http://www.splashdamage.com/forums/showthread.php/25848-Wolfenstein-Enemy-Territory-2-any-chances

http://www.splashdamage.com/forums/showthread.php/21825-Et-Xreal

http://www.splashdamage.com/forums/showthread.php/29503-OpenWolf

Those are the 3 top topics on the subject. If you have anything to add that’s the place to start.

(Shownie) #6

Lol, where have you been the last 8 years.

The game has been modded since the start. Now even so called “Graphics” Mod is in development, to make the game “up to date”.

Wolf MP is what some call ET 2.

A “fake” HD version is already released, though only map textures.

Models has been made, though not enough to change all.

And I have to say that it is pity that most of those real good mods made from ET went from ww2 to modern warfare instead of making it better in the same scene.

:slight_smile:

(Gir) #7

Why Don’t you tell make a Paul Wedgwood to Makes us a new wolfy et, with Tapirs as the Enemy

(Shownie) #8

Wahahha, awesome idea.

Well I think we should have to face the reality that SD will never make a real sequel for Wolf: ET. Besides everyone on this forum who played ET:QW say it is the sequel :slight_smile:

(shagileo) #9

The success of ET is because it’s ET
You can try to fingle as much as you like with new gfx, weaps, mods … etc

There won’t be a true successor to ET as long as it isn’t ET. It’s unique in every way, and although people want it, they don’t really appreciate change.
Alas, look at the failed attempts: Wolfenstein, ET:QW, Brink …
(although ET:QW looked really good)

I encourage everyone trying to improve this awesome game, but I think the best way to do it, is to improve step by step. Mappers shouldn’t be limited anymore by MB’s (improve/more detailed texs, bigger maps, more details … etc). And then mods should follow to improve the general feel

meh, maybe it’s all gibberish all the above - 't is pretty late, but that’s just my two cents

(Indloon) #10

Over and over and over talked topic.
The ETpro community is not taking any incoming graphic mod(s) seriously.But theres exceptings on…
I have never seen someone whining about ET graphics.
And my favourite quote of the Treborator interview.

fishbot
you really like that flamethrower don’t you
and where is the steam?? That would be ****ing great

SsAP
we need burning terrain and underbrush + physX - partly destroyable environmennt :smiley:

( OT: looks real good for now, really looking forward to whats soon to come)

fishbot
just imagine, flamethrower becoming most powerfull weapon on radar cause of the capability to set those bushes on west on fire and annihilate them. I’d ****ing play with r_drawfoliage 1 then

Could be nice to see how whole Radar is under fire?XD

(Mateos) #11

And FPS on this engine for drawing that effect on fullscreen :stuck_out_tongue: So let’s burn around radars so Allies can’t steal 'em without burn. Or burn the Truck Wood, no drop off :smiley:

(Apples) #12

[QUOTE=shagileo;375195]The success of ET is because it’s ET
You can try to fingle as much as you like with new gfx, weaps, mods … etc

There won’t be a true successor to ET as long as it isn’t ET. It’s unique in every way, and although people want it, they don’t really appreciate change.
Alas, look at the failed attempts: Wolfenstein, ET:QW, Brink …
(although ET:QW looked really good)

I encourage everyone trying to improve this awesome game, but I think the best way to do it, is to improve step by step. Mappers shouldn’t be limited anymore by MB’s (improve/more detailed texs, bigger maps, more details … etc). And then mods should follow to improve the general feel

meh, maybe it’s all gibberish all the above - 't is pretty late, but that’s just my two cents[/QUOTE]

Do you play etqw shag?

Time to buy it as it’s super cheap, we need moar ppl on custom maps (altho I missed the even for like a month already… shame on me!)

As for ET with better gfx, I think it could really work, do not change anything gameplay wise, just release more map, a clear SDK and improve the UI in a way that the mods are more clear in the server browser, that you dont have to change UI skin each time you dl a mod or a map, well, basically what tokamak said in his post about the contents.

With the cash generated by Brink I think SD can now work on something more “light” and release a game for like 20 €, the amount of copies sold would still benefit the company IMO, well, that’s an idea but I’m pretty sure it can work for sure. (quick tip, you can even “remake” ET in a modern warfare type keeping all the gameplay to appeal another audience, it would still be greater than CoD pos…)

Peace

(shagileo) #13

[QUOTE=Apples;375237]Do you play etqw shag?

Time to buy it as it’s super cheap, we need moar ppl on custom maps (altho I missed the even for like a month already… shame on me!)

[/QUOTE]

Nope don’t play ETQW, but I really like it - the community is all goofy and devoted to this game, but what I meant with “failed” attempt for ETQW is that -although I don’t play it - it doesn’t have the same popularity as ET does.

The fact you say:

Time to buy it as it’s super cheap, we need moar ppl on custom maps

emphasize my ph34rzs and hunch.
Don’t get me wrong, ETQW isn’t dead of course, but I think - as an outsiders point of view- it’s not really an ET kinda thing. Hmm, maybe I’m not in the position to make those assumptions.

Hm, time to put another two cents in this post ^^

As for the rest of your post, I pretty much agree with those statements

(Om3ga) #14

Well, i think best way and maybe easyest way is put W:ET to Steam as free to play.
W:ET haven countless number of awsome maps and cool mods = EPIC VICTORY! :smiley:

And ET much is better than CS1.6, CS:S and TF2. :slight_smile:

(Mateos) #15

It is old and no more updated, without a Free2Play system. It will not be accepted by Valve…

And you can’t compare different games and say “This one is better than the others OLOL”. At least put arguments…

(Indloon) #16

[QUOTE=Mateos;375449]It is old and no more updated, without a Free2Play system. It will not be accepted by Valve…

And you can’t compare different games and say “This one is better than the others OLOL”. At least put arguments…[/QUOTE]

W:ET is way better than other famous games.
You cant put arguments here,because we all know that W:ET powns others!!:penguin:

(Mateos) #17

Well I understand, but I’m sure it will probably never be on Steam. Or if SD/iD really want to submit it…

(Dushan) #18

100% false, without any exceptions.
Well if SD/ID decide to offer game to Steam its their decision :slight_smile:

Steam also support independent video game development.
In my talking with Valve Software, they wanted to know some details about already released Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory game (like release year, reviews and review scores, previous downloads, awards …), only problem (there re no really problems, only challenges), was EULA game assets.
Personally if I want to offer game on Valve Steam (with Steamworks) I need (assets are imperative in this) to fully brake compatibility with old Wolf ET.
There are really much cons in doing that, but I believe that there is and will be more pros in doing that.

(Indloon) #19

Dushan
Year:2003
Downloads:16,262,447 Wolfenstein: ET installs
http://www.splashdamage.com/awards#wet

dadada.
The main problem is about the mods.
You know,Punkbuster,downloading…etc.
Better to Chaos mod and voila!

(Dushan) #20

Sorry. One big fat “nop”.

Mods are and is OK [working - at least 70% of them - who dont have check for ET (executable file)]. Personally if you want to know, all mods are coded and released under EULA (original ET SDK) - and all changes in code are released under that license (no matter if code is “open”). That’s why you cannot see that other IDTech3 game based use any parts of ET mod code in it, and because of that others cannot support mods if they are not developed under GPL license.

Game assets is number uno challenge. Without it, all effort is pointless.