With Doom 4 coming out... Enemy Territory 3...

(signofzeta) #1

Do you think that Splash Damage should pull off the same thing and make a side game to Doom 4, and put the Enemy Territory brand onto it? I think it would totally fulfill the pattern, and as a result, make at least one Enemy Territory branded game per id tech engine?

Let’s look at id tech engines, and id franchises associated with them.

id tech 3:
Quake 3 Arena
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Wolfenstein Enemy Territory (has many properties from RTCW)

id tech 4:
Doom 3
Quake 4
Enemy Territory Quake Wars (Some of the vehicles in Quake 4, were ripped from ETQW)

id tech 5:
Rage
Doom 4

If Splash Damage released a Enemy Territory game based off the Doom franchise, then the pattern would fit in that, the ET game would be based off the second id franchise game in each id tech engine. I wouldn’t be surprised if you got to play as a demon.

So, um

id tech 6:
RTCW 3?
Rage 2?
ET4 aka Enemy Territory Rage?

(light_sh4v0r) #2

Doom territory, return to enemy at the brink of rage?

(Indloon) #3

“W:ET 2 At Enemy Side” :smiley:
But yes,wanna see ET2 by SD:)
Lot gold,yarrrrrr

(Dormamu) #4

W:ET - Iron Sky :smiley:

[video=youtube_share;pgQIWXMGHDs]http://youtu.be/pgQIWXMGHDs[/video]

(.Chris.) #5

Nah, either another quake or another Wolfenstein ET please.

(darthmob) #6

Please not. At least not with the plans of being a financial success. I could imagine it as a small project staying true to the roots but a modern adaptation would most likely be horribly bad.

(.Chris.) #7

Yeah, I was assuming it would be done ‘right’.

(sereNADE) #8

i think its time for a new mod team or small developer to pick up the et gameplay & spirit as many did with “fortress”. no need to restrict it to id franchises (though it would be extra special if it stayed). really, though, all depends on what sd learned from brink. i would hate to see “enemy territory” stamped on just another “accessible” multiplatform release.

(Slade05) #9

Again and again: who has the ****ing IP rights to ET?
If it`s ATVI you can kiss it goodbye.

(signofzeta) #10

Enemy Territory:Taking a call while I am taking a doodoo.

(Gir) #11

I bet if Splash damage make a Cartoony Shooter with Tapir’s and slap it on Steam, it would a Huge Success

(sereNADE) #12

forget ip rights… “foes’ domain” is a go :wink:

(goblean) #13

I think Tapirs could easily be added. . .

*May not be safe for work, start at 1:20 to skip commercial, start at about 2:11 for the shooting/action.

I see sniping, secondary quick weapon switching, rocket-launchers, and optional vehicles.

(matsy) #14

I kind of like the idea of Doom Territory, I’d be happy with a mini mode like assault tbh.

(Humate) #15

Out of curiosity, would you still buy it if it was multi-platform?

(Slade05) #16

If it was multiplatform like ETQW was, I would!
:slight_smile:

(light_sh4v0r) #17

nah it’s fine if it’s multiplatform, but all platforms deserve personal attention. ETQW didn’t turn out too great on consoles I believe, but as long as the versions are developed separated to cater for each pro and con of them it’s fine. That doesn’t happen often though.

(signofzeta) #18

As development costs increase, making 3 games on 3 systems would cost more than making 1 game on 3 systems. It is too bad we get a lowest common denominator game, where we don’t get to see the strengths of each platform individually.

I just wished that the whole development cost increase is just a conspiracy by those who just want to get more money, and that we were really paying more for nothing. Too bad this isn’t the case.

I still think Splash Damage should make an ET game with id tech 5, and base it off of Doom 4, since ET2 and ET1 were the “third” game with the id logo, and the game was based off the “second” game with the id logo in their respective engines.

And keeping up with the pattern, the release date would be 2015.

Wolf ET released in 2003, ETQW in 2007, Brink in 2011, and it should be obvious that Splash Damage’s next game should be released in 2015. Of course 2001 had RTCW, and 2009 had Wolfenstein, but 2005 had absolutely nothing, unless Brink doesn’t count since it doesn’t have an id logo, in which this happens. Some game that has RTCW style gameplay will be released in 2013, since it goes like 2001, 2003, BUZZ, 2007, 2009, BUZZ, 2013, 2015, BUZZ, where BUZZ means that there is no objective/stopwatch type of game with the id logo on it.

Oh, another cool fact is that, prior to 2011, DICE never released a battlefield game the same year as an id software objective/stopwatch game?

2001 RTCW
2002 1942
2003 ET
2004 Vietnam
2005 2
2006 2142
2007 ETQW
2008 Bad Company
2009 Wolfenstein
2010 Bad Company 2
2011 This is where the pattern ends.

(.Chris.) #19

Never really liked the Doom universe, couldn’t get into as much as could with Quake and the Strogg.

Afaik Doom is just against demons and such, be pretty hard to try make a team based objective game using them as a premise no?

I would rather they either tried expanding the ET:QW idea and make the teams more asymmetric, tone down the emphasis on vehicles and deployables, have more variety in the maps, more infantry maps for example, maybe a dead 50/50 split between vehicle and infantry maps.

Or apply the premise of ET:QW and fit it into the Wolfenstein mold but in same manor as above so be almost like you get two style of games, get your typical ET style when playing infantry maps then a more expansive ET:QW style when playing the vehicle maps.

(Indloon) #20

First W:ET 2 then ET:QW 2 but it should be W:ET 3,ET:QW 4.