Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Turrets need a minor buff.

pragmatic incrementalist thesuzukimethod's Avatar
    Most Recent Awards:

Re: Turrets need a minor buff.

to me, turrets are like DF. almost pointless in some circumstances, quite powerful in others....even very powerful when positioned in a particular way (i dont really want to share all my secrets).

played a match yesterday against a team of 8 w/ at least 3, possibly 4 engis, and while we were somewhat poorly organized, they basically shut down our access to the bot in the market area on c city, with 3 turrets...by the time we were done dealing with the turrets, they came back up (they were guarding the other side, and using the turrets as bullet spewing alarms) and mopped the floor with us. part of our trouble was the bot stalled out at a particularly bad spot for our team (it was a great place to set up a defense), but i def didnt feel the turrets were underpowered yesterday.

i wont argue that the lock on can be a little wonky

Sniper turret would be good, faster aqqusation but low RoF and the same damage as an unbuffedd barnett bodyshot.
    #I used the deadwood to make the fire rise
    The blood of innocence burning in the skies
    I filled my cup with the rising of the sea
    And poured it out in an ocean of debris

I'm swimming in the smoke
    Of bridges I have burned
    So don't apologize
    I'm losing what I don't deserve
    What I don't deserve#

Owned by ANOOBis

Quote Originally Posted by thesuzukimethod View Post
    to me, turrets are like DF. almost pointless in some circumstances, quite powerful in others....even very powerful when positioned in a particular way (i dont really want to share all my secrets).

played a match yesterday against a team of 8 w/ at least 3, possibly 4 engis, and while we were somewhat poorly organized, they basically shut down our access to the bot in the market area on c city, with 3 turrets...by the time we were done dealing with the turrets, they came back up (they were guarding the other side, and using the turrets as bullet spewing alarms) and mopped the floor with us. part of our trouble was the bot stalled out at a particularly bad spot for our team (it was a great place to set up a defense), but i def didnt feel the turrets were underpowered yesterday.

i wont argue that the lock on can be a little wonky
    Similarly, more than one turret, more than one person with DF, compounds its strength and effectiveness. Which could be why turrets are the way they are? More than one person can drop them anywhere.

Most Recent Awards:

but it only takes 1 emp grenade to take them all out .
    RAD Soldier Username: Tower-Defender

EMP has a limited duration, I believe and so the turrets become active soon after if you're not able to push forward past them in time. An engineer can also just lay another Turret in the same area, replacing the EMP damaged turret, I believe.

Most Recent Awards:

Yeah and you can toss another EMP grenade , you are not limited to one.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinigami View Post
    My biggest beef with the turret is the fact that it costs 3 skill points. The turret is mediocre at best. And i think that would be fine if it only costed one point. but if it costs three that thing should be much more effective.
    Skill points have very little value, there's no way anything in this game can be said to be 'too expensive'. If that thing costed 10 points then people would still be taking it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot-Wire View Post
    but it only takes 1 emp grenade to take them all out .
    A rank 5 weapon for a class that's rarely being played.

Most Recent Awards:

Doesn't matter, the option is there and the folks I usually play with are at least rank 5.

Wolf's right. Turrets dont need a buff. Its bad enough on PS3 when we get matches with one team having like 4 engineers for defending. Makes it near impossible to get pass them unless ur like some professional espionage operative which PS3 dont get many of.

Quote Originally Posted by tokamak View Post
    Skill points have very little value, there's no way anything in this game can be said to be 'too expensive'. If that thing costed 10 points then people would still be taking it.

A rank 5 weapon for a class that's rarely being played.
    Im not sure I'm following your logic here. how can you say that skill points have little value? I think its the only thing that has value. Its pretty much what defines your play style, that and guns(slightly) . And yeah, of course no one can argue that anything in this game is too expensive. you are technically not forced to buy anything, and everything only costs one skill point......except the turret. Its the only 'skill' that requires three points to be spent. Granted, you don't have to spend three points in it, and you could just spend one, but seeing the quality of the turret, i thinks its an all or nothing kinda thing. and trust me, if that turret cost 10 skill points like you said, NO ONE would buy that thing. I mean why would they? it would be choosing between 10 skills or 1 mediocre skill. yeah, skill points matter.

There lock on ability does need tweaking. I've seen people stand right in front of them without being recognized. It would not make them more powerful but more effective. They are still very vulnerable. Plus you should be able to repair them before they are disabled like TF2.

They are very specialized weapons and a good engineer knows how to use them to back them up when capturing things. Many people just don't see them as what they are: supporting weapons.

turret tracking as it is makes them useless. Given how much damage grenades do to turrets, it's relatively easy to take them out once you know where they are. They just need to be able to rotate and track faster, because right now they don't even notice anything when there are like 2-3 enemies standing in their freaking cone of sight. The damage they do is fine. It might even be a bit too much at higher levels. It's the lack of actual targeting that makes them almost completely useless unless you can catch your enemies by surprise, and there are very few spots on each map, if any, that will let you actually do that.