Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Turrets need a minor buff.

Turrets need a minor buff.

Right now I'd classify turrets as anything from useless to a moderate annoyance, depending on placement and enemy team awareness. Granted, I don't expect them to be the complete area-denial tool that they are in Team Fortress 2 or similar games, but they definitely could be made at least a little more potent without affecting balance too much.

Here's what I propose: Give turrets a slightly faster (~0.5 seconds) reaction time, slightly faster tracking and tweak the AI to allow for them to detect and attack targets as close as, say, 5 feet, while retaining the current maximum attack distance.

This way, the turret is more lethal to fast moving and non-stationary targets, while at the same time having no more health, no more damage, and being just as vulnerable to grenades.

---------------------------

Feel free to propose any alternative turret buffs in this thread.
    Last edited by Dragnerok X; 24th Aug 2011 at 22:45.

Re: Turrets need a minor buff.

I am not a fan of buffing turrets. Engineer is pretty powerful class. Adding power to their turrets would cause more camping. Right now, turrets slow progress, or punish heedless rushing, and need to be maintained and placed at strategic angles to be most effective. My vote is they are fine.

Yeah, turrets seem fine to me as well. I often get kills with even Light Turrets by simply using careful placement.

Most Recent Awards:

One thing I wouldn't mind them doing to the turret is allowing them to fire at targets right below them. I've found some AWESOME spots to put turrets, but they are usually too high and they don't even bother to fire at the enemies right below them.
    RAD Soldier Username: Tower-Defender

One thing I wouldn't mind them doing to the turret is allowing them to fire at targets right below them. I've found some AWESOME spots to put turrets, but they are usually too high and they don't even bother to fire at the enemies right below them.
    Agreed. If there's any one thing that I'd like changed, that would certainly be it. I can imagine that it would be particularly useful in the prison level, although there are many other levels that come to mind where it would greatly help turrets.

pragmatic incrementalist thesuzukimethod's Avatar
    Most Recent Awards:

sometimes they'll grab on if they have a bit more time. A well placed mine will slow down a runner just long enough for a turret to grab on. and once it's firing in that downward direction, it tends to grab ahold of any enemy down there

(anyone who plays against me on refuel (as security) has seen this). You can put a turret up on the tanker truck in the back hallway, but you need to make sure to place a mine somewhere in there to slow down folks enough that the turret can grab ahold. once it does, it can cover the back hallway for you pretty well (or at least you know it's time to go check on it when you hear they've damaged it) (added bonus is to mine the mini corridor behind the tanker, so anyone who does get behind it doesnt last. :evil laughter:

Most Recent Awards:

Nope not even I tested this against bots I tried stalling this bot right underneath my turret by firing suppressive fire. The bot stayed there behind cover. Turret did absolutely nothing.

Most Recent Awards:

hmmm.

this was up on the tanker in refuel? if so, was it a gatling? if so, really have no idea man. if not, curious where.

i have pretty good luck putting turrets up high and letting them rain down....(on the tanker, on the crane, on the elevated platforms around reactor, etc.)....the further up/out they get, the less real damage they do...but they are an alarm, and they keep people busy, even when they dont take them out.

My biggest beef with the turret is the fact that it costs 3 skill points. The turret is mediocre at best. And i think that would be fine if it only costed one point. but if it costs three that thing should be much more effective.

Most Recent Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Shinigami View Post
    My biggest beef with the turret is the fact that it costs 3 skill points. The turret is mediocre at best. And i think that would be fine if it only costed one point. but if it costs three that thing should be much more effective.
    +1 Been saying that since day 1. I don't mind it being so piss poor but when you buy the upgrades it should definitely be better otherwise its just wasted points.
    >CnN< Ceppy

Only suggestion or improvement I'd make or want is for the Turret to be deployed quicker. It takes too long to drop one. It would also be cooler if there was more turret choices. Like a Turret that you stick on a wall. A Turret that has wheels that you can push or a team mate can push or moves back and forth along a 5 foot wide track. A Turret that shoots grenades instead of bullets. A turret that shoots flame instead. Etc. So that you can choose more of a style for how you want to use turrets. You could only have 1 turret active at a time, but have different choices depending on the map and strategy.

Most Recent Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by thesuzukimethod View Post
    hmmm.

this was up on the tanker in refuel? if so, was it a gatling? if so, really have no idea man. if not, curious where.

i have pretty good luck putting turrets up high and letting them rain down....(on the tanker, on the crane, on the elevated platforms around reactor, etc.)....the further up/out they get, the less real damage they do...but they are an alarm, and they keep people busy, even when they dont take them out.
    This was on Aquarium last part.

Use the stairs to reach the second floor. You'll go through a narrow winding path and reach a door leading to a balcony facing the escape submarine. I jumped on the crate and put down a turret on the white crate. The turret does absolutely nothing there.

FEAR THE BEARD! AmishWarMachine's Avatar
    Most Recent Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by wolfnemesis75 View Post
    Only suggestion or improvement I'd make or want is for the Turret to be deployed quicker. It takes too long to drop one. It would also be cooler if there was more turret choices. Like a Turret that you stick on a wall. A Turret that has wheels that you can push or a team mate can push or moves back and forth along a 5 foot wide track. A Turret that shoots grenades instead of bullets. A turret that shoots flame instead. Etc. So that you can choose more of a style for how you want to use turrets. You could only have 1 turret active at a time, but have different choices depending on the map and strategy.
    Pyro Turret!!!

Actually a good idea, could be really powerful, but have a limited range (10-15m).

Pyro Turret! FTW!
    I just thought of another one. A Bio Chem Turret. It emits waves of bio chemical gas that causes minor damage, but slows enemy within its narrow cloud with an effect that lingers for 10 seconds. (Puts a negative penalty on speed and buffs)

Most Recent Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Hot-Wire View Post
    This was on Aquarium last part.

Use the stairs to reach the second floor. You'll go through a narrow winding path and reach a door leading to a balcony facing the escape submarine. I jumped on the crate and put down a turret on the white crate. The turret does absolutely nothing there.
    ahh, gotcha. i can picture it but didnt actually "go" there (in game).

I wonder if it has something to do with the angle, or if the railing gets in the way (if i'm picturing it correctly)....I've seen the turrets kick in at pretty downward angles, as long as there was some way for the opponent to catch the line of sight before...i wonder if the balcony is just a bit too high, especially with that step down to the sub, to grab ahold of it's sensor.

anyway...

Most Recent Awards:

It's placed above the railing, so it isn't the problem.

It's just too high I guess, which I want fixed .

Most Recent Awards:

I too think they could use a buff but what buff I'm not to sure of. Up the damage is the first thing that comes to mind but if they made the tracking better... well I might just be satisfied with that.
    Many ppl don't like BRINK & that's fine... BRINK doesn't like them either.

Quote Originally Posted by Teufel Eldritch View Post
    ...if they made the tracking better... well I might just be satisfied with that.
    This. The real reason turrets don't seem to get any better with upgrades is because their tracking is still abysmal.
    The cone of detection really needs to be widened, either generally or via upgrades to make it a more effective tool.

Regards,
    Nexo

If turrets were anymore powerful they'd turn into a spam-fest. The game would devolve into campy meta-game. You'd not get into certain areas without dying like lemmings.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexolate View Post
    This. The real reason turrets don't seem to get any better with upgrades is because their tracking is still abysmal.
    The cone of detection really needs to be widened, either generally or via upgrades to make it a more effective tool.

Regards,
    Nexo
    Nexo is correct. Turrets are very, very poor (imo) and I have yet to have any success with them at all against human players due to the scan and lock on taking forrrevvvvvvvverrrrr. TBH I feel like I wasted three slots on my Engy character.

Case in point. On top of the wall in Security Tower map on the far right hand side as you face towards the Resistance spawn. (next to the MG nest room), that section of wall is very long. I placed a turret facing towards the doorway on the far left of the wall. A Security medium op was able to run towards the turret, the full length of the wall using no cover and then hack the damn thing and it didn't fire a single shot in anger. Not one shot! Pointless!