An idea: make the automap with coordinates on it

(Mlehliw) #1

I recall someone saying this over on the planetwolfenstein forums and I thought it was a pretty good idea. Anyway his beef was that whenever you heard a teamchat or vsay_team and got the coordinates from their message, it was hard to tell where they were unless you opened up the trans map and searched for it.

He proposed to put the coordinates directly onto the automap, giving the player a better sense of where he is and his teammates are on the battlefield. Then whenever someone gives a team message or is on the same fireteam as you, you will be able to derive a general location of your comrade.

I’m implementing it into my map and I just thought I’d pass it on and see what you guys think.

(DeAtHmAsTeR) #2

great idea :slight_smile:

(ziege) #3

Yes this was suggested in another thread about Command Maps. I won’t be doing it since I’ve never used map coords while playing, but yeh I guess it’s a good idea.

(Mlehliw) #4

oops. didn’t know this was already mentioned here. oh well, guess I’ll just let this thread wander on.

(ziege) #5

No it’s good you bought it up, no-one really took any notice or commented on it before so now the idea gets the attention it deserves :slight_smile:

(chavo_one) #6

I’d be interested in seeing some screenshots of this. It would take a lot of work to get it right. The grid size changes per map as it is a relationship between the command map (constant size) and grid coordinates (variable size). Those black grid lines and letter and number designations on the command map are drawn by the game engine.[/img]

(Mlehliw) #7

Here is the specifically designed automap I’ve made.

I guess it would be easier for a small map like mine since it is easier to plot and all, but I wasn’t doing guesswork either, each of my coordinates comes in the center of the grid box. It only took me one time to get the coordinates in the right spot.

(chavo_one) #8

I get a red X for the image, and “You do not have access to this document” when I cut and paste the link.

(Mlehliw) #9

Argh…Ok try this instead

On a side note, if you happen to be looking for a web host do yourself a favor and pass over www.coolfreepages.com

(Pog'S) #10

Good thing, but Mlehliw is definitely not Art Designer. If you wisjh send me the basic layout of your map and i’ll make you a nice command map.

(Mlehliw) #11

yea I know :slight_smile: my photoshop skills are severely lacking, my command map looks more like a crayola drawing.

(Pog'S) #12

LOL