Exporting character rigs/models

(rumbo) #1

I was wondering, since Brink uses id tech, whether the game rigs/models/textures etc. can be accessed for creating fan made movies etc? I’m aware that people have been exporting assets from other id games for some time, and was hoping to be able to play around with some of the characters in a 3D package. Has anyone made any progress with this? Is this something SD would not like to see happen?

(lobster) #2

The closest thing I have found - http://komiga.com/2011/05/14/brink-sdmd2-and-sdpk2-bigfiles/

Needs to be compiled and ran in Linux though. Other than that, I haven’t seen anything else and think the only other option would be releasing the SDK.

(yuval152) #3

They haven’t release a SDK so…

(rumbo) #4

Thanks for the replies. Hopefully we can have an SDK, as it would certainly boost numbers in the community if modding was possible. It would also be great if those decompile gurus set up files that could be imported into windows based 3D apps. I would look into it myself but am but a lowly animator. I will keep an eye on that page you posted. Surely it can’t be long before someone gets on top of it.

With such great character and art design, Brink appears to be begging for user made shenanigans.

(murka) #5

[QUOTE=lobster;372225]The closest thing I have found - http://komiga.com/2011/05/14/brink-sdmd2-and-sdpk2-bigfiles/

Needs to be compiled and ran in Linux though. Other than that, I haven’t seen anything else and think the only other option would be releasing the SDK.[/QUOTE]

It compiles fine under windows. You need the duct and zlib libraries.
It can read sdmd2 files and list files/names and dump from sdpk2, but i don’t think you can dump with proper filenames and directories.

(Darksider) #6

No actual way of extracting files, been wanting to do some Machinima since day one, look like it may never happen.

(murka) #7

Well you can extract all the files, but you can only get filenames/paths for a fraction of them and most files are compiled to some weird binary format that you need to reverse engineer to get something useful out such as models.

Here’s an example how much(or little) usable the extracted files are.

Also, converting those files is rather difficult.

(Ripster7) #8

So nothing more on the 3D modeling? :frowning:

(Ghetto Scouser) #9

I used an OpenGL capture tool. I do not recommend however as this takes many hours of UV mapping to get anything useable.

QBMS is the closest you will get and only .wav files seem to extract usable.

Not sure why SD packed the models into weird containers but I imagine its just a container so if you knew its original format it wouldnt be too dificult.

discord.gg/zEMsv5Z