100 Days of Brink

(FrankieGodskin) #1

Brink was released 100 days ago. The patch and DLC has come and gone. Do you see yourself still playing 100 days from now on November 25th? If you were to write a post-mortem, what are three things you think SD did right and three things you would change?

(tokamak) #2
  • Marketing
  • Art direction
  • Being SD

-Creating a game for a non-existent demographic
-messinging up the art direction in the end
-Releasing a console game on the pc.

(snoopycat) #3

I’d make it not suck

(lobster) #4

I would love to be playing 100 days from now, but sadly I doubt that will be the case. The player base is extremely low in the USA, despite a free DLC having just been released. I honestly don’t see it lasting that long, especially with a $50 price tag and some bigger titles scheduled for release very soon.

3 things they did right, IMO:
Character and weapon modeling
Good art direction
Great menus and fast loading screens

3 things I would change:
Launched with SDK
Included some traditional game modes (CTF, KOTH, etc)
Better character silhouettes and team colors (Make it a lot easier to distinguish quickly between enemy and teammate)

(.FROST.) #5

Positive:
I devinitely can’t complain about SMART. Opposed to a couple other things in Brink its working perfect for me. Like it, won’t miss it. Strategic planting as an Engie is fun . DLC-maps and “new” Operative rules.

Negative:
Use/interact icon still takes to long to appear. Chars still too slow.

(Spendlove) #6

Creating a fun game.
Ability to design your character like City of Heroes.
Art.

Public relations.
Paying for extra maps.
F key!

(neg0ne) #7
  • Smart

• keeping up to Obj / Teambased Gamplay // beeing SD

• Artwork

• releasing a console game for PC

• *****up launch. ( especially the performance /ATI issue)

( all negative points for the PC community are result of point 1, 3 and 4 )

(RabidAnubis) #8

+Smart is perfect.
+Customization.
+Hilarity/style. If I saw any part of Brink I could tell it was Brink

-Should have been a PC or Console exclusive
-Marketing
-More choices. Like, 10 active perks instead of 10 passive ones, to make your hero truly special. Different ways to send the bot.

(yuval152) #9

after skyrim,Deus Ex:HR,battlefield 3 i really doubt that I’d keep playing it.

(Oschino1907) #10

Outside of Rage and the Dust 514 beta I have nothing planned outside of Brink, maybe some DL games for PSN like “Amy” or possiblly Silent Hill Downpour (retail) but otherwise Brink is my Multiplayer go to and expect more DLC to keep me going.

(Nexolate) #11

Sure, I’d like to be playing Brink in November still. Contrary to popular belief, the base game is good it just needs more substance. Depends whether my laptop, with a dreaded ATI card, will even run it.

Things they did right:

[ul]
[li] Solid class/teamplay aspects
[/li][li] SMART feature
[/li][li] Unique, well-executed art style
[/li][/ul]

Things I would change:

[ul]
[li] More content (maps, weapons, etc.)
[/li][li] Lowered spread for all weapons
[/li][li] Remove the auto-pilot movement
[/li][/ul]

Regards,
Nexo

(Claverleykid) #12

I would love to keep playing it in november but with the big releases coming up who knows

Things they did right:
SMART
Teamwork in an Shooter
Nicely designed maps

Things I’d change:
A proper single player with good story
More maps
More modes

(H0RSE) #13

Those 3 titles are games I am really looking forward to, and even so, I can see myself playing Brink after they release. I don’t sell or trade my games, and I always get the urge to player “older” titles. I am so glad I never fell into the “flavor of the month” mindset that plagues many gamers - especially on console.

(RabidAnubis) #14

I’m surprised this thread hasn’t reduced to trolling. And I’ll still play Brink after BF3 and Dust I think.

(Stormchild) #15

I’ll probably be playing again, although I might replace it with BF3. I usually play 1 or 2 maximum MMOFPS at the same time, and then 2 or 3 “traditional games” on the side. A bit of each every evening or almost, trying to balance my time.

Good things in Brink :

• Art direction (+ cutscene involving players characters)
  • SMART is awesome. Could even be improved in a future title.
  • Objective-based and team-based, the legacy of ET is still here.

Bad things in Brink :

• Global character-centric game sessions including leveling, abilities choosing etc. Linking a character to a gaming session means less freedom to switch chars and roles. Characters should have all abilities, but only be able to “bind” 3 to use in battle, à la Guildwars… or allow char switching at start of map or in limbo. More freedom please !
  • Interaction : View-Locking mechanism and auto-movement (less freedom, feeling of losing control of our own avatar).
  • Launched too early like a premature newborn, except the video games world is no hospital. Too many issues could have been avoided with a beta or a demo like with ETQW ? Customization options, comp settings and SDK are missing !

Lots of issues can be related to 1) rushing the game out, 2) trying to make pad gameplay to work on pc with mouse.

The game is fun, but it feels like SD had caviar, oysters, champagne and smoked salmon, and with all that they cooked a decent chocolate cupcake. You know, it tastes good, but what happened to the caviar and the champagne ?

(1111) #16

This is most likely the only multiplayer game I will play until Christmas. If everyone quits or I get bored I’ll just play single-players or PS2 or whatever.

Good things:

• the gameplay and classes have certain style and originality and cater for many playstyles
  • I have still things to experience myself because I have not maxed out all classes

Bad things:

• can become repetative because of the lack of different game modes and maps (every map has only one set of objectives and you can either defend or attack)
  • some things can’t abide a closer look (don’t know if ‘to abide’ is the right term for this)

(tangoliber) #17

Yes, I will be playing in 100 days. I will play Brink for several years.

Things they got right:

1. Teamwork
  2. Teamwork
  3. Teamwork

Things I would change:

1. Match Browser on Consoles
  2. Match Browser on Consoles
  3. Match Browser on Consoles

(asmo) #18

3 things to do now:

• Admit that Brink is failure
  • Stop working on it, no more patches, maps, etc.
  • Start working on NEW game and this time listen to your fans (make something like W:ET && ET:QW), with console access, SDK, crosshair, etc :slight_smile:

doing this peoples will quickly forget about Brink and move to your new title !! and if your new title is GREAT, peoples will forgive Brink, at least i will :slight_smile: go SD go !

(tangoliber) #19

^Don’t listen to him…haha. I look forward to the next SD game, but we want patches and maps. :slight_smile:

(RabidAnubis) #20

Agreed.

10char