Sliding

(bumbertyr) #1

Has it ever been considered? we’re going for a fast paced game, and tbh there are plenty of times i’ve been running then crouched expecting to slide XD.

(sinKrin) #2

Oh please no. It gives me nightmarish flashbacks from Quake 4… :confused:

(XavienX) #3

No, the super/long/crouch jump or whatever you wanna call it, is basically this game’s slide. And after you do that, you loose your momentum drastically, so they can prevent it from being spammed. You can also gain a lot of speed by super jumping off of walls to get ahead too.
If slide was added, than they would need to somehow keep it from being spammed, which would make sliding weird.

(Ghosthree3) #4

No need, the movement system is really good as is.

(babyblueFist) #5

^ truth

I just wish spamming jump with a shotgun wasn’t such a pain haha. Proxy + spam jump + shotgun = one dead me :confused:

(Ghosthree3) #6

Spamming jump is actually detrimental in a fight as it makes your movement predictable. Once you learn the jump pattern it’s so easy to shoot those people.

(bumbertyr) #7

Spamming jump is actually detrimental in a fight as it makes your movement predictable. Once you learn the jump pattern it’s so easy to shoot those people.[/quote]

going to disagree on that, i see plenty of people spam hopping in fights that easily change their direction, they don’t lose their momentum just because they’re spam hopping.

(N8o) #8

Oh god please no. I already have to track Proxy trying to bounce off 3 walls at once. If there was sliding, my heart couldn’t take it.

(Potato Potasto) #9

Just pull the slide mechanic from urban terror, if you crouch after landing from a jump you keep some of the momentum and slide along the ground a little bit till you stop. It’s fun.

(GeNKi) #10

Oh noes the slide… That reminds me Ghosts/AW, both of them had awful and buggy implementation of sliding/movement.

long jump >>>> slide

in terms of skill & fun & effectiveness

(Ghosthree3) #11

Jumping off walls is different, the change in direction can be almost random and isn’t guaranteed. But simply jumping in the air with low starting movement speed sets you on a very rigid course. Of course to most players it’ll work, but against better players you’re disadvantaging yourself. Just try and go do it in Quake, the people that try and hop in fights get absolutely wrecked.

(RuleofBooKz) #12

Brink way bad. VERY BAD. it had sliding.

(PlayingUndead) #13

Only if it comes with that sick leash from Bulletstorm in the form of an unexpected crossover, Grayson Hunt as a Merc.

(watsyurdeal) #14

Personally I’d rather have coiling than sliding, where you hold crouch to tuck in those legs.

(Conqelson) #15

Brink was awesome, the pay to play content fucked it over not the parkour movement. Where do you think the wall jumping inspiration came from? Sliding would fit in just fine here. I’m surprised it isn’t already.

(bumbertyr) #16

Jumping off walls is different, the change in direction can be almost random and isn’t guaranteed. But simply jumping in the air with low starting movement speed sets you on a very rigid course. Of course to most players it’ll work, but against better players you’re disadvantaging yourself. Just try and go do it in Quake, the people that try and hop in fights get absolutely wrecked.[/quote]

however this isn’t quake.

[quote=“GeNKi;41247”]Oh noes the slide… That reminds me Ghosts/AW, both of them had awful and buggy implementation of sliding/movement.

long jump >>>> slide

in terms of skill & fun & effectiveness[/quote]

however this is neither of those games i fairly certain splash damage could implement a slide that would have little to no bugs.

(civilTriangle) #17

I think there should be a character who’s special ability is sliding and doing extreme parkour like climbing ledges or the ability to vault and shoot.

(Temporary) #18

[quote=“Conqelson;41765”]Brink was awesome, the pay to play content fucked it over not the parkour movement. Where do you think the wall jumping inspiration came from? Sliding would fit in just fine here. I’m surprised it isn’t already.
[/quote] You found paying for the content to be the worst thing about Brink? The hype surrounding the movement was unfounded and putting invisible walls all over the place so you couldn’t do anything decent with the parkour was the biggest let down for me… Other than sliding (need to put in some places were it was necessary) I would love for a vault to be put in but it would feel way too mechanical :’(

(RuleofBooKz) #19

yes we need many many more random character animations so we can spam those hitboxes all over the place to make the game much less about skill with aim with a gun and more about a fun park for children