trying to make a new map but have two questions so far

(Venom) #1

Im trying to make a map but i have 2 questions so far. my first one is i hollowed out a octagonal brush and i wanted to cut a rectangular hole in teh top, but couldnt figure out how to do it with just the 3-point clipping. my second question is is there some way to make a portal? like they go in a door looking thing and get transported to a different part of the map?

thanks
venom

(Blackadder_NZ) #2

Look in the Sticky thread, at the top of the page.

1st - If you going to create a hole. Create 4 brushes like so:

aaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaa
bbb000ccc
bbb000ccc
ddddddddd
ddddddddd

With the 0’s being the hole.

Remeber to texture them caulk before you do anything. Then add textures to the brush faces (Ctrl + Shift + click) that the player would see.

2nd - I don’t know.

(Venom) #3

thanks, i got the hole done now. i still need to know if the transporter thing can be done. does someone that works at splash damage know?

(evillair) #4

There’s no transporters in ET.

(sock) #5

There are just hidden from the entity list. You will need to create the entities in a new def file called for example “transporter.def” and stored in the “scripts” directory.

/*QUAKED misc_teleporter_dest (1 0 0) (-32 -32 -24) (32 32 -16) 
Point teleporters at these. 
Now that we don't have teleport destination pads, this is just 
an info_notnull 
*/ 

/*QUAKED trigger_teleport (.5 .5 .5) ? 
Allows client side prediction of teleportation events. 
Must point at a target_position, which will be the teleport destination. 
*/

Restart the editor once the above file has been created and use the teleporter function exactly like in Q3. They are not really realistic to WW2 but hey I’m sure someone will pipe up and waffle on about how the mp40/thompson are not realistic! … can’t please em all!

Sock
:moo: z0r

(Loffy) #6

So they were there all the time! Hidden to all but the initiated! This info from Sock will please alot of mappers. (I must try this this evening after work!) // Loffy

(ziege) #7

Teleporters WTF…

Okay I guess mappers can do what they want but jeez they really don’t belong in ET, why not make a Quake map if you want ppl flying about everywhere.

(Thej) #8

yeh u can teleport straigth to the objective now :smiley:

(Venom) #9

the client doesnt choose where they teleport do they? its already set in the map right? the client cant change that? i just dont want people teleporting wherever they want in my map…

(sock) #10

The teleportation destination is determined in the map. Its not a random teleportation or that you can teleport anywhere you like.

Sock
:moo:

(Blackadder_NZ) #11

Lol! Now that WOULD be interesting if that happened.

(Venom) #12

i made the new def file and everything but it still wont work. when in radiant i can get the misc_teleporter_dest to show up but when i try to get the trigger the error CreateEntityFromName: selection could not be grouped. what is this and how do i fix it?

thanks in advance
venom

(Venom) #13

ahh nevermind i fixed it and got teleportation working. thanks for your help everyone :clap:

(sock) #14

For anyone else reading this thread, the “trigger_teleport” has to be created from brushwork and painted in the “common/trigger” texture. The “misc_teleport_dest” is a point entity which can be created by the right click menu in the 2d window of the editor.

Sock
:moo: