Shotguns

(neonJuggler) #1

So, I have around 200 hours on DB now, and there’s one thing that’s always bugged me. THE SHOTGUN DAMAGE! It’s unbelieveable, considering most mercs can’t use a shotgun, I have a request. Shotguns are extremely OP and I usually only die from people with shotguns. My point here, is that it only takes two shots to kill someone, even if you’re really far away. Plus, it can be a one shot from the same point that they killed you in two shots by just aiming at the head. Anyways, I think everyone has their problems with the shotguns in this game, I have 25+ friends that play Dirty Bomb, and even they are pissed off about the shotgun damage.

(Jostabeere) #2

Yup. Proxies/Auras with shotguns are pissing me off. Running straight at you, jumping like mad monkeys and before you land 7-8 headshots to kill them, they magically give you one mid-air and kill you. All. The. Time.

(Conqelson) #3

It’s the jumping imo, you should loose accuracy while bunny hopping. If you do already I don’t notice it, I hop like an idiot on Fletcher and still manage 1-2 shots on my targets. The mechanics should encourage more strafing than wild jumping.

(frzn) #4

The spread does seem funky.

(Eox) #5

From a competitive point of view, every other weapon types is far superior than shotguns, due to a simple range matter. Shotgun DPS fall extremely quickly over distance (Ahnuld aside), if there’s just five meter between you and the enemy, you won’t be able to damage him efficiently. Add to this that you can’t score headshots reliably due to the spread (unless you are litterally glued to the enemy). Shotgun’s poor range requires you to get closer to the enemy, which is very hard in competitve where everyone will be able to get your head effortlessly. A nerf is not required.

(Vexed) #6

Pretty much what @Eox said. I am legit terrible at this game and even I am going to chalk this one up as a playstyle issue. If you don’t like shotguns, don’t get up in their grill.

(robustWonder) #7

I personally love shotguns but I feel anyone jumping should lose accuracy while jumping with any weapon but melee (since melee is just an AOE with limited range).

Most of the characters who use shotguns can only use short ranged weapons, have low health, and are pretty quick on their feet. That is pretty balanced because I easily pick off a lot of Proxie players trying to charge me.

(Jostabeere) #8

[quote=“robustWonder;45375”]
Most of the characters who use shotguns can only use short ranged weapons, have low health, and are pretty quick on their feet. That is pretty balanced because I easily pick off a lot of Proxie players trying to charge me.[/quote]

This is the combination that makes it OP. The speed. They might have 80HP, but before you even deal that damage they shoot you down jumping around like a monkey with perfect accuracy mid-air. I have no problems against Fletchers or Rhinos with shotguns. Aura/Proxy is where the imbalance is.

(robustWonder) #9

[quote=“laudatoryLunch;45380”][quote=“robustWonder;45375”]
Most of the characters who use shotguns can only use short ranged weapons, have low health, and are pretty quick on their feet. That is pretty balanced because I easily pick off a lot of Proxie players trying to charge me.[/quote]

This is the combination that makes it OP. The speed. They might have 80HP, but before you even deal that damage they shoot you down jumping around like a monkey with perfect accuracy mid-air. I have no problems against Fletchers or Rhinos with shotguns. Aura/Proxy is where the imbalance is.[/quote]

And if Proxies were slow with low health and short range weapons no one would have issues killing them. That is why they move quickly. To balance out the character so they are a challenge in a specific setting (CQC).

At range I have no issues picking off Proxies.

(irishrOy) #10

and here we go again :frowning:
I know I will probably cash in some dislikes/disagrees, but anyway :wink:

Shotguns are good and superior in CQC, but that’s it.

Outside of 10/15m, they’re actually quite uneffective and thus never really used in competitive play.

Shotguns rely on one-hit-killing and 1-time-only-shots.
If the first shot doesn’t kill the eneny, you have to give off a second shot. And because the re-fire-rate of pump-action-shotguns is quite long, the enemy could have pumped out 3-5 shots by the time you fire again.
If you, the shotgunner miss, you will most likely die.

If the enemy lags and you miss your shot, you need to wait another 0.5s or so to give off another one…

Actually, if I had the choice and if I wished to play effectively, I would never really ask for a shotgun. Always SMG/AR/M4/Kek and aim for headshots.
Auto-firing weapons with a high RoF (compared to a shotgun, almost any auto-firing-weapon is fast) are a lot more forgiving if you miss a shot and still effective in both, CQC and medium range.

(watsyurdeal) #11

Yea they kinda get on my nerves, but then again, they lack range, and are a lot more punishing if you miss. So it kinda balances out, it’s not like they are the most op thing ever, just annoying when people know how to use them right.

(CCP115) #12

I hate shotguns. But that’s just me.

They are incredibly risk reward, even the Ahnuld, due to low RoF and low range. Miss the first shot and you’re probably gonna die, or walk outta there with 1 health.

Automatics in this game are INCREDIBLY strong because of the low spread and high accuracy, high RoF and large clips. Basically use automatics all the time, shotguns are too hard to use and ineffective against experienced players, and semi autos are outdone by automatics, and burst rifles are incredibly hard to use like shotguns. Snipers are obviously the one exception.

Personally, due to the large number of maps being CQC, have terrible experiences with shotguns, but overall I wouldn’t say OP, just kind of annoying when you get one shotted.

(Indefinite) #13

The shotguns are fine, really. Standing out in the open with no clue about your enemies whereabouts, OR not having the aim required to gun down someone hopping right at you – Neither of those things should be rewarded.