Wake Island [WIP]

(.Chris.) #1

Wake Island

Introduction

I’m sure most folk around here will remember the efforts of MoP and Pytox to bring the famous map Wake Island to ET:QW, unfortunately they never managed to quite get there, step in me!

I decided MoP’s vision for this map was the better of the two, with the Strogg attacking as opposed to Pytox’s with the GDF on attack. I’m not exactly sure what MoP had in mind for the map so I decided to make it my own.

Screenshots

Current Version

Alpha 5b available from here.

(Dthy) #2

ooo pwetty :o

(light_sh4v0r) #3

WE NEED OFFICIAL MAPS :mad:

(MrLego) #4

I’m glad that Mop’s version has been resurrected.

It was fun watching his development process when QW came out and he beat SD by a month or so with his terrain texture-set release which helped us all out with our early megatextures.

Looks nice so far.

(matsy) #5

Only had a quick run around and looks good! A few little things I noticed.

• A small thing but the huts near the strogg spawn (nearly put Axis, duh) feel a bit too cramped / I can’t jump out of the windows, could be nice if that option was available.

• I don’t like the really steep stairs inside. It’s a personal opinion that they don’t look nice but they work so who cares I guess.

• Maybe side objective having to blow the top entrance?

(.Chris.) #6

[QUOTE=matsy;370260]Only had a quick run around and looks good! A few little things I noticed.

• A small thing but the huts near the strogg spawn (nearly put Axis, duh) feel a bit too cramped / I can’t jump out of the windows, could be nice if that option was available.

• I don’t like the really steep stairs inside. It’s a personal opinion that they don’t look nice but they work so who cares I guess.

• Maybe side objective having to blow the top entrance?[/QUOTE]

Not touched any of the huts yet, some windows you can jump out of though.

No room to make the stairs less steep, I’ve kept MoP’s layout pretty much in tact, I dont like 45 degree stairs either.

I removed the top entrance objective as otherwise there would only be 1 entrance by default which would be mega easy to defend.

(.Chris.) #7

WIP Shots.

(Scrupus) #8

wow - that looks great! :eek:

About the first objective, maybe there should be an entrance on the back. Not sure really, but can be hard for GDF to get inside if strogg gets in first.

Edit - or a tunnel from the GDF forward to the inside.

(Donnovan) #9

First is a new DLC map for Brink? Like Labs and Tower?

Never saw such “round” shot on a ETQW map!

I still have much to learn about patchs!

(Violator) #10

Reminds a lot of the end of the tunnel in consite… :slight_smile: (but without the crazy lighting problems and a lot more detail ;))

(.Chris.) #11

[QUOTE=Scrupus;370572]wow - that looks great! :eek:

About the first objective, maybe there should be an entrance on the back. Not sure really, but can be hard for GDF to get inside if strogg gets in first.

Edit - or a tunnel from the GDF forward to the inside.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I was thinking about this as the main entrance does favor the attack too much. A service tunnel of sorts is indeed a nice idea and could tie in with my other idea for that area where you currently can teleport into.

(light_sh4v0r) #12

Impressive Chris!

(Runeforce) #13

Works when in a campaign. Chris’ text below is refering to running it on Objective mode.

(.Chris.) #14

I get the same from all custom maps when try to run them locally, I have to move every pk4 apart from the one I want to play out from /base in order for a map to load, sucks. I could never be bothered to work out which one could be causing the problem though.

(matsy) #15

[QUOTE=Scrupus;370572]About the first objective, maybe there should be an entrance on the back. Not sure really, but can be hard for GDF to get inside if strogg gets in first.

Edit - or a tunnel from the GDF forward to the inside.[/QUOTE]

Its then basically first stage of Island. Which I guess isn’t a bad thing as its one of the few main maps I enjoy playing. ( I know that you have to hack and not repair )

Is this something your currently working on?

On another thing I noticed, inside the fist objective with a grate up showing some pipes. I run passed it and imediately thought can I fly my flyer drone through this? Sadly you can’t but it would be intresting if you could to the main room, could be handly for clearing this room out.

(Susefreak) #16

I believe it was arcis pro, not sure tho.

(.Chris.) #17

[QUOTE=matsy;370730]Is this something your currently working on?

On another thing I noticed, inside the fist objective with a grate up showing some pipes. I run passed it and imediately thought can I fly my flyer drone through this? Sadly you can’t but it would be intresting if you could to the main room, could be handly for clearing this room out.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much that.

(Scrupus) #18

yeah that one could cause problems, but I’m pretty sure it was only put in etqwpro folder, so shouldn’t affect vanilla from there. Considering to replace it with an empty file to remove this prob.

It could be other files like that, it’s typically caused by additional paks (those without addon.conf inside).

(.Chris.) #19

I removed all campaign pk4s from all the /base folders and I can load any custom map now without that error.

Anyway, here’s my first plan for the second stage, it’s a bit vague but hopefully you can make sense of it when you look at it in conjunction with the second link:

Floor Plan

Overall Map Plan

(.Chris.) #20

More WIP shots.