Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lobster GL - Give it some love

Lobster GL - Give it some love

Yes, it's a noob tube. Yes, I could run a GL attachment on an AR.

Still, this is much better than running GL attachments, because it's separate from your cooldowns. The damage needs just a little bit of tweaking, while the direct impact bouncing strength should be reduced. I have not yet hit anyone with it directly and had it explode even to max radius. Seriously, the only use I get from it at close-mid range is like a Commando-lunge melee knockdown. It rarely explodes on whoever you hit.
    PC (Steam) - jober911 [Karma.eX]Saku~nya~nya
    PS3 - SakuyaFM

Re: Lobster GL - Give it some love

Quote Originally Posted by SakuyaFM View Post
    Yes, it's a noob tube. Yes, I could run a GL attachment on an AR.

Still, this is much better than running GL attachments, because it's separate from your cooldowns. The damage needs just a little bit of tweaking, while the direct impact bouncing strength should be reduced. I have not yet hit anyone with it directly and had it explode even to max radius. Seriously, the only use I get from it at close-mid range is like a Commando-lunge melee knockdown. It rarely explodes on whoever you hit.
    Agreed here: http://www.splashdamage.com/forums/s...138#post369138

It doesn't need the instant explosion, but I would like less of a bounce back when I nail a shot at someone. Especially when they're on a balcony. It is sooooo frustrating to hit somebody up high, then see my nade bounce back down to me! DOH!!!

[PC]
    Thats interesting! I notice them very rarely but when i get hit, cant escape for ****. I get knocked down and the nade lies right beside me and i cant move away. "Great, now I die" *wait* *die*
    A direct hit is really annoying

pragmatic incrementalist thesuzukimethod's Avatar
    Most Recent Awards:

i like the lobster as is. tossing non-impact exploding explosives at things that are above you should be penalized...

reminds me of when we used to play yard darts (yes, that old) by throwing them as high as we could and watching them stick into the ground around us. where were our parents?

but maybe shorten the timer from launch to explode?

Most Recent Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by FireWorks View Post
    [PC]
    Thats interesting! I notice them very rarely but when i get hit, cant escape for ****. I get knocked down and the nade lies right beside me and i cant move away. "Great, now I die" *wait* *die*
    A direct hit is really annoying
    my standard use is intermediate range "headshots". it knocks the guy down, and the grenade bounces pretty much straight into the air, lands at the guys feet just as he is getting up, and then kills him.

According to the brink stats site, i do 88 points in damage per lobster shot (including all non-damage producing shots)

If you assume that i've spammed it a bunch when it didnt hit anything (i have, both in downed fire with my heavy, and when i was learning to use it) that number is certainly higher.

if it exploded on impact it would basically be a OHK on both lights and mediums if you had the double engi weapon buff. but it wouldnt have any cooldown other than the reload (waaaay worse than GS)

Perhaps it should be a light weapon? Just saying, it doesn't seem like a weapon that should only be for heavies as a secondary.

I love the lobster I think it's a very good defensive weapon. period.

In cohesion with with mines and a turret it's a killing machine.

Though I will admit, I would like to see it available to mediums as a secondary given it's defensive stance and it's slow firing rate/lack of ammunition. as i belive the Mossington should be (if it were less powerful) but not for light body types.

(yay for Lawn darts, got one in the foot though. Who ever thought to make you stand right behind that circle!?)
    Last edited by BiigDaddyDellta; 12th Aug 2011 at 19:27.

Perhaps instead of letting you wield only certain weapons per body type, perhaps the kick should increase.

For instance, a light shooting an AR will have a lot of kick, while a heavy will have none.

I think nade launchers were best done in tf2 with the demoman.

Where they exploded on direct hit, but bounced alot and for some time if you missed. The pipebombs/grenades are slow moving so its not OP and takes skill.

I know that would be copying tf2, but its the only nade launcher (well pipe bomb launcher) iv ever thought was ok
    Violence is not the answer. It is the question. The answer is Yes.

Aka Seraphic_Mercenary, .Headsh0t

Most Recent Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
    I think nade launchers were best done in tf2 with the demoman.

Where they exploded on direct hit, but bounced alot and for some time if you missed. The pipebombs/grenades are slow moving so its not OP and takes skill.

I know that would be copying tf2, but its the only nade launcher (well pipe bomb launcher) iv ever thought was ok
    Not completely disagreeing apoc (and i haven't played tf2, so apologies for my ignorance), but this would almost be worse than GS, b/c the cooldown would only be the 3+ secs it takes to reload and the couple seconds to aim for the next target. I can almost without fail get "headshots" with the lobster (this just means the guy gets knocked down by the initial plunk of the nade, and likely/possibly incapped by the secondary explosion), The guy i hit with the nade has little chance to escape the secondary explosion, and if his health was already reduced, he's in trouble, but nearby guys do have the chance to scatter. if the nade exploded on contact, they would have no such warning/chance, and my next shot would be coming at them in <8, possibly <4-5 secs.

edited to add: i realize that if they didnt stand so still, i'd have a harder time, and I rarely bust out the lobster in anything but fun matches where I'm messing around with my heavy (which i kinda suck at)...but i totally see this getting spammed (even more) if they exploded on contact.

Quote Originally Posted by thesuzukimethod View Post
    Not completely disagreeing apoc (and i haven't played tf2, so apologies for my ignorance), but this would almost be worse than GS, b/c the cooldown would only be the 3+ secs it takes to reload and the couple seconds to aim for the next target. I can almost without fail get "headshots" with the lobster (this just means the guy gets knocked down by the initial plunk of the nade, and likely/possibly incapped by the secondary explosion), The guy i hit with the nade has little chance to escape the secondary explosion, and if his health was already reduced, he's in trouble, but nearby guys do have the chance to scatter. if the nade exploded on contact, they would have no such warning/chance, and my next shot would be coming at them in <8, possibly <4-5 secs.

edited to add: i realize that if they didnt stand so still, i'd have a harder time, and I rarely bust out the lobster in anything but fun matches where I'm messing around with my heavy (which i kinda suck at)...but i totally see this getting spammed (even more) if they exploded on contact.

You need to play tf2 or watch a demoman vid to know what im talking about.

And yes it would be worse than grenade shooting....if done perfectly...which would be extreamly hard to do, and normal players couldnt come close, unless against stationary targets. Also grenade shooting doesnt kill in one, usually the bullets after finish off the kill, a GL that explodes on contact would mean they would have to either hit twice in a row or hit once then finish off with their secondary.

I like the way the Lobster doesn't explode on contact. I always LOL when I launch a Lobster nade across a room or street and hit somebody down to the ground. Then, as they're trying to get up, the blast gets them if the bounce pops right. SD just needs to nerf the bounce on a direct hit, IMO.

Also, I've learned to aim at enemies' feet when possible so while I might lose out on the knockdown, the explosion will get them.

Quote Originally Posted by SinDonor View Post
    I like the way the Lobster doesn't explode on contact. I always LOL when I launch a Lobster nade across a room or street and hit somebody down to the ground. Then, as they're trying to get up, the blast gets them if the bounce pops right. SD just needs to nerf the bounce on a direct hit, IMO.

Also, I've learned to aim at enemies' feet when possible so while I might lose out on the knockdown, the explosion will get them.
    Yea its funny.....but if we actually want it to be a half decent weapon and not just something for the lols then it needs a change

Yea its funny.....but if we actually want it to be a half decent weapon and not just something for the lols then it needs a change
    Well, the LOLing is more about me being surprised I actually hit somebody from long distance and seeing them disappear behind the cover/balcony they were at. If the nade would not bounce back like it was made out of flubber, then it I think it would be a much more effective weapon.

I am averaging around 33K damage per hour of usage with it, which for me is pretty darned good, but that's because now I have learned to aim for the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by SinDonor View Post
    I am averaging around 33K damage per hour of usage with it, which for me is pretty darned good, but that's because now I have learned to aim for the ground.
    As a primary for mediums, you would expect it to be better than a SMG at medium range.
    However its only use seems to be firing into large groups of people or round corners. And well, people only clump in large groups if they are inexperienced, and anyone experienced will take out a nade launcher with ease in seconds. Iv never been a fan of this weapon, but i cant help but think that a primary weapon shouldnt have counter of "people not being noobs".

You need to play tf2 or watch a demoman vid to know what im talking about.

And yes it would be worse than grenade shooting....if done perfectly...which would be extreamly hard to do, and normal players couldnt come close, unless against stationary targets. Also grenade shooting doesnt kill in one, usually the bullets after finish off the kill, a GL that explodes on contact would mean they would have to either hit twice in a row or hit once then finish off with their secondary.
    Dont get the loch and load, i gave up my scottish resistance for it, and thought it was "explode on impact anywhere" not "breaks into a million and a half pieces anywhere"
    #I used the deadwood to make the fire rise
    The blood of innocence burning in the skies
    I filled my cup with the rising of the sea
    And poured it out in an ocean of debris

I'm swimming in the smoke
    Of bridges I have burned
    So don't apologize
    I'm losing what I don't deserve
    What I don't deserve#

Owned by ANOOBis

As a primary for mediums, you would expect it to be better than a SMG at medium range.
    However its only use seems to be firing into large groups of people or round corners. And well, people only clump in large groups if they are inexperienced, and anyone experienced will take out a nade launcher with ease in seconds. Iv never been a fan of this weapon, but i cant help but think that a primary weapon shouldnt have counter of "people not being noobs".
    Yeah, I play mostly pub standard as I don't want to be forced to use the statistcally-best gun (carb-9) and light body in order to compete effectively. I've seen enough Brink tourney vids and played enough high level clan guys to know that's not how I like to play.

As a light, I miss the Lobster.

As a medium, I roll with Lobster main and Kross/Bulpdaun 2nd

As a Heavy I roll with Gotlung and Lobster.

It is fun in pub standard at least.

I like lobster tail.
    Most Recent Awards:

I'm fine without any buffs.

Assault rifles should rule in mid-range combat because the Medium body type has not as much evasive speed or access to areas compared to the lights, while lights should rule short range because they are able to surprise quickly from more vantage points (how I thought the game would play out before I bought it). But Light Body Type with SMG dominates all ranges. Making the Medium Body Type and ARs irrelevant. Its almost like the SMG needs to be very focused up close, but do negligible DMG outside of effective range unless switching to a longer range secondary weapon. And a pistol should be very short range. Currently you can blow someone away with a Ritchie Revolver from a strange distance. Which is funny as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfnemesis75 View Post
    Assault rifles should rule in mid-range combat because the Medium body type has not as much evasive speed or access to areas compared to the lights, while lights should rule short range because they are able to surprise quickly from more vantage points (how I thought the game would play out before I bought it). But Light Body Type with SMG dominates all ranges. Making the Medium Body Type and ARs irrelevant. Its almost like the SMG needs to be very focused up close, but do negligible DMG outside of effective range unless switching to a longer range secondary weapon. And a pistol should be very short range. Currently you can blow someone away with a Ritchie Revolver from a strange distance. Which is funny as hell.
    But its not SMGs dominating mid range. Its just ARs being useless at all ranges, so lights can just run into short range and kill people. Also Ritchie is perfect as it is imo