Living in a box? Problems with the skybox...

(cicero) #1

Hello!

I’m working on a map and would like to try it out. I’ve tried to compile it using different types of alternatives and so far none have created a bsp file… Though GTKradiant might have done one while I’m writing this. Anyway, I’ve made a big hollow box around my world but it looks like a huge livingroom… I’ve added texture to the walls but GtkRadiant draws thousands and thousands of small pieces of the texture on one wall…!! Also, the “walls” are VERY easy to distingush from the “roof”… How make it look like one piece?

Another thing while I’m at it… Is it possible to make the map bigger around what I’ve built so far? Got to close to the edge…

Thx a lot!
Cicero.

(Thej) #2

ok, go to the skies folder under ur textures button and only select a sky texture that has a white lining around it!

That means it has a shader that has the effects of the sky(in this case)

(Loffy) #3

Sometimes it looks like crap in the editor, but it is ok when you play.

Hm, you can try. I do. Alot. Add stuff, add areas, mountains etc. Must be a sign of really bad planning though. But hey, we’re mapping to learn I guess.
:banana:
Usually my map cracks and everything goes to the forest. (Swedish saying. Means: There is a problem.) What I do then? I start all over again. New empty folders, new scripts, new map. Ok, Im an amateur. Mea culpa.
Try this if nothing else works: Do walls and roof around your map. Like a huge skybox, like you described. Open textures inside “skies_sd”. Put the wurzburg sky onto them. It works well. A bit dark, but it is a cool sky.
// Loffy

EDIT: Sock has made some cool sky stuff here:
http://www.planetquake.com/simland/pages/materials.htm
The downloadable textures and scripts comes complete with ReadMe-files, so you can read and install it relatively easy. I tried the Desert skybox and it… well, the word awesome comes to mind.

(Drakir) #4

another way to get a huge landscape around the map is to use the props_skyportal, they did that alot in RTCW maps.

What u do is that u make a small landscape map ouside your map and then place a props_skyportal in there, that entity serves like the eye in that outside area. U still have to use a sky texture for the sky, but u can add alot to that area and make the map seem alot bigger.

I used it for my pearl harbor maps to get the surroundings right. I added alot of very small boat models in the outside world. and then it looked very much like the real pearl surroundings.

In RTCW they had models for the landscapes that where in the outside world. So it could be a bit tricky to do that in ET.