Can I complete challenges on my own server?

(phreeflo) #1

I want to try and set up a local server to run the single-player challenges, as when the game sets up one for me it’s capped me at 30 FPS and it’s annoying as heck and I haven’t played them as a result.

Now I find that when I use the dedicated server tool I can play SP maps and not be limited by the stupid 30 FPS cap and I can enjoy my play. But I haven’t found a way to get this to work with the challenges.

How can I set up the dedicated server to run the SP challenge maps and get the unlocks for them? If I have to play through them all at 30 FPS I’m just not going to bother to even unlock them as it makes me want to punch my monitor to play such a slide-show on my beastly computer.

(Bono) #2

Hmm, we’re in the same boat.

I’m actually enjoying Brink in single player. I absolutely suck at games like this, and wouldn’t want to go online. It’s weird that I have to run a dedicated server to unlock the framerate limiter, but the trick works, so that’s what I do. Makes a world of difference, really.

(phreeflo) #3

Messed with it all night and haven’t been able to figure this out.

:stroggbanana:

(HugePinball) #4

On your dedicated server set net_serverAllowHijacking to 1, then go to Challenges in the game menu and start a challenge map as you would normally (don’t choose solo mode). You should end up hijacking your own dedicated server to run the challenge map. If you open the console you can watch to see if it’s trying to connect to your server - if it’s trying to connect to another, just cancel and try again.

Your dedicated server must be running a map (any settings) and be empty in order to be hijacked. If you don’t want other players to join, I think you can change si_onlineMode to 0 (solo) after you connect without affecting unlocks and such.

(phreeflo) #5

Thanks for the tips. I’ll give this a shot.