Things You Were Too Afraid To Ask: Steve 'badman' Hessel

(R_Shackelford) #1

“Community Relations Manager” Steve ‘badman’ Hessel, for what exactly are you getting paid?

The “community relations” are obviously not being managed to what anyone could reasonably consider a competent degree.

If this is a Bethesda-imposed gag order, than say so, and please advise us as to whom within Bethesda we should be directing our inquiries. I could not find any public- or community- relations positions listed on the Bethesda/Zenimax site.

If this is some kind of Bethesda-imposed gag order, than what exactly is the point of your position within the company? Why staff a functionally impotent “community relations manager” post?

I have been enjoying Brink since its release, and I am patient about upcoming DLC, however, the fact remains that the way “community relations” are being “managed” is disgraceful and highly unprofessional. We are your paying customers, and are entitled to some respect.

(FireWorks) #2

[QUOTE=R_Shackelford;356747]
I have been enjoying Brink since its release, and I am patient about upcoming DLC, however, the fact remains that the way “community relations” are being “managed” is disgraceful and highly unprofessional. We are your paying customers, and are entitled to some respect.[/QUOTE]

Yea we really need to know where to run with the torches and hayforks! Our ability to solve conflicts in a peaceful manner has be ruined by years of videogaming.

(darthmob) #3

You show no respect, you get no respect. It isn’t something you get for money. Bugger off!

(R_Shackelford) #4

I’d say our ability to act as competent and self-respecting consumers is what’s been ruined. Quite the ludicrous straw man you’ve set up there, claiming that somehow forum posts requesting some kind of updated information equate to violence.

Where exactly was I showing no respect? Because I asked what he’s getting paid for? While those particular points may convey a touch of snarkiness, I’d say this is a pretty measured post, and my post history illustrates that I’ve been rather patient and respectful in regards to this issue and the game in general. I’ve generally given SD the benefit of the doubt, believing that this is probably a contractually-obligated information embargo instituted by Bethesda. While there have been quite a few nasty posts regarding the lack of communication, there have been just as many that have quite reasonably and respectfully simply asked for some kind of communication, which has been met with the most disrespectful screams of silence. Even the most basic “we are unable to comment at this time” is better than the absolute dearth of response that has been provided over the past 2-3 weeks. Apparently you believe that this “give no respect, get no respect” is a one-way street, only to be traveled by the paying customers, while those that are being paid to communicate with the community are above reproach.

Have you people never heard the phrase “the customer is always right?” While that statement obviously carries a touch of hyperbole, the sentiment remains. I hate to break it to you, but as a paying customer in this world of capitalist endeavor, yes, respect is something you should get for the money you’ve supplied to the provider of a service or product, at least if you wish for them to be a paying customer in the future.

(Jess Alon) #5

It’s not badman’s fault. He can only say what he’s allowed to say. Though the NDA has run out. That doesn’t mean he can say whatever he wants. When it’s YOUR job to represent a company online there’s a lot of pressure on you to be very careful about what you say.

Also everyone rages at badman and craps all over him any time he tries to be helpful so why should he try?

(R_Shackelford) #6

I understand that, but as I said, even “we are unable to comment at this time” is better than silence.

As to your second question: Because that’s his job. Even if I don’t like the attitude of a customer at my company (short of threats or obscenity-laced tirades, none of which I have supplied to SD), I still have to serve them. That’s what I get paid for. I certainly won’t go out of my way for them, but they will get service. And what I (and many others) are asking is not for anyone to do anything special for us, only the most basic of customer service.

(Jess Alon) #7

[QUOTE=R_Shackelford;356834]I understand that, but as I said, even “we are unable to comment at this time” is better than silence.

As to your second question: Because that’s his job. Even if I don’t like the attitude of a customer at my company (short of threats or obscenity-laced tirades, none of which I have supplied to SD), I still have to serve them. That’s what I get paid for. I certainly won’t go out of my way for them, but they will get service. And what I (and many others) are asking is not for anyone to do anything special for us, only the most basic of customer service.[/QUOTE]

Saying we are unable to comment at this time only turns the anger towards bethsoft. And if everyone is jumping on bethesda do you think that’s going to encourage beth to continue to help? People keep saying Brink is dead. And whatever it is they spew. And that’s seriously only going to make the game worse from a PR standpoint. If it’s such a huge disappointment to customers as a whole then why should the publisher who most likely OWNs the brink IP continue to support it?

(stealth6) #8

Here I was thinking that this was going to be a cool interview with Badman, but no…

Deceit, deceit I tell you!
Can you guys at least keep your nonsense to the Brink board :slight_smile:

(Jess Alon) #9

I’m personally calling for badman to shut this thread down because it’s misleading and clearly has a lame agenda. As do 75% of the threads these days.

(thesuzukimethod) #10

not quite the answer we were probably hoping for (i.e. a date), but perhaps the answer many suspected was true

(R_Shackelford) #11

[QUOTE=stealth6;356842]Deceit, deceit I tell you!
Can you guys at least keep your nonsense to the Brink board :)[/QUOTE]

Check the header: “General Splash Damage Discussion General chit chat about Splash Damage and the people behind/in/under it.”

I believe that would cover badman.

This was not a “where’s my DLC?” “what’s the hold-up?” “we’re past mid-July” post. This was specifically addressing the customer-relations policies of Splash Damage.

I also believe my OP question would fall under “Things (many) Were Too Afraid To Ask.”

It’s unfortunate when people consider customer service to be a “lame agenda.”

Thank you, suzuki / badman. Was that so difficult?

While some indication of why this certification is taking so long would be nice, it’s a step in the right direction. Even if you just have to repeat that post once a week until the release, something is better than nothing.

Thanks.

(Jess Alon) #12

[QUOTE=R_Shackelford;356868]Check the header: “General Splash Damage Discussion General chit chat about Splash Damage and the people behind/in/under it.”

I believe that would cover badman.

This was not a “where’s my DLC?” “what’s the hold-up?” “we’re past mid-July” post. This was specifically addressing the customer-relations policies of Splash Damage.

I also believe my OP question would fall under “Things (many) Were Too Afraid To Ask.”

It’s unfortunate when people consider customer service to be a “lame agenda.”

Thank you, suzuki / badman. Was that so difficult?

While some indication of why this certification is taking so long would be nice, it’s a step in the right direction. Even if you just have to repeat that post once a week until the release, something is better than nothing.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

badman doesn’t work at MS or SONY so how can he update you if the ball is in their court? You should be excited it’s taking so long because it probably means there’s a lot of needed updates in those patches as well as him saying there’s additional patchage for PC.

(R_Shackelford) #13

Now, as I’ve stated, this is not what some would term a “personal attack,” this is a discussion of professional responsibilities.

1. He can “update” by saying it’s still in submission. Again, something is better than nothing.

2. There is definitely information somewhere regarding why the certification is taking so long. I seriously doubt that the contract with MS/Sony is so open-ended that they can effectively hold content hostage indefinitely. As “community relations manager,” one’s responsibilities should include consulting with the appropriate parties (in this case, Bethesda, Sony, and MS, or higher-ups within SD) to find information that would be useful to the community. Whether there are any legal restrictions on badman publishing information in this regard is another question, but again, a statement can be made that “due to contractual restrictions, further information is unavailable at this time.”

For the moment, I’ll leave it be with the current statement that suzuki linked, but regular updates, however infinitesimal, are better than silence. As I said, these are basic tenets of customer service to which a company should adhere if they wish to maintain repeat customers.

(Verticae) #14

Finally, somebody who understands the importance of proper service.

SD have been great with this with ETQW in the past; I’d personally go with the Bethesda gag as an explanation on Brink. I’ve been wanting, though, to do a little community interview with SD employees; it seems nobody at either SD or Bethesda will direct me to the proper people for it. It must be difficult to work with such a disorganized structure.

(Jess Alon) #15

If we want to having any hope of SD working with decent publishers in the future. I don’t think all this badmouthing is going to help anyone’s situation. Including our own.

(gooey79) #16

Taking aside hate for hate’s sake, even the most vitriolic comments give valuable insight into customer dissatisfaction. Sometimes, removing the emotional investment (on both sides) helps to get to the root of the problem.

That said, as customers; we’ve got zero control over who Splash Damage work with. That’s up to Paul et al when they’re deciding how best to keep the lights on and allow the guys the opportunity to earn a living.

(Shanks) #17

Funny how you think somebody owes you something. You bought a product, you received said product. Just because it was not as perfect as you wanted it to be does not give you the right to claim that they owe you more. And really whining about free dlc?

Sounds like a spoiled little 16 year old to me.

(FireWorks) #18

[QUOTE=-bacon-;357741]You bought a product, you received said product. Just because it was not as perfect as you wanted it to be does not give you the right to claim that they owe you more
[/QUOTE]

People with a background in consumer protection have a very different point of view on that. Yes there are countries in the world where its not allowed to sell **** as gold.

(etwolfmod) #19

SD should probably go back to publishing with Activision like they did with etqw?

(R_Shackelford) #20

[QUOTE=-bacon-;357741]Funny how you think somebody owes you something. You bought a product, you received said product. Just because it was not as perfect as you wanted it to be does not give you the right to claim that they owe you more. And really whining about free dlc?

Sounds like a spoiled little 16 year old to me.[/QUOTE]

Reading comprehension fail.