Bunnyhopping in Brink.

(knippon) #1

So, it turns out that you can bunnyhop. sereNADE made thispost. I was skeptical at first. I thought this would be something that only an SDK could achieve.

It’s pretty quick. The lightbody still is the quickest. But depending on the terrain, the heavy can really pick up some speed.
Bunnyhopping to Ducktales

You can try it out for yourself at Here.

So comp community want? or do not want?
or is there even a comp community anymore? :frowning:

How about playing it this way at Quakecon?:penguin:
Combine this with the up coming spawntime and weapon tweaks (just make the guns deadly accurate SD) it could be the beginning something cool to watch.

(tangoliber) #2

Really cool video.

(knippon) #3

Link Fixed

(.Chris.) #4

Looks really buggy. Lots of stuttering and inconsistent speed gains. Was some moments where the player bounced off in directions they didn’t want to go and stuff.

(MoonOnAStick) #5

Looks a little glitchy. Is it just the SMART latching onto unintended objects/surfaces? Would be nice to see bunnyhopping+SMART used on some simpler geometry. Bump all the bodytype speeds up by a level and it could be really fun to move around.

(Qbix) #6

Someone should be killed for that music choice. Beside that, I don’t think it’s that problematic.

(knippon) #7

Most of the glitchyiness that you see is due to fraps killing my framerate. Its actually pretty smooth. Yes, the smart button was making me grab onto things I didn’t want. I have a habit of holding it down constantly. I wish I can disable the toggle of the smart button.

(Verticae) #8

Movement is still ridiculously clunky.

(sereNADE) #9

HEY! Glad to see people experimenting with the movement variables! Still some untapped potential that will hopefully be realized with new and or custom maps :slight_smile:

(knippon) #10

thanks for the cvars sereNade. I wish I could get match together with the bunnyhops, but no one plays anymore :frowning:

(alberto) #11

bunny hopping would be cool if mixed with parkour
but first the parkour need to be fixed (dont think it is possible if you dont make new maps that arent buggy) and the auto pilot should be removed. Then we can talk about bunny hopping

(sereNADE) #12

[QUOTE=alberto;354536]bunny hopping would be cool if mixed with parkour
but first the parkour need to be fixed (dont think it is possible if you dont make new maps that arent buggy) and the auto pilot should be removed. Then we can talk about bunny hopping[/QUOTE]

I disagree. Bunnyhopping exists independently of SMART and was deemed accidental yet accepted as part of the moveset in certain fps lineage lasting longer than 15 years now. It was and always will be talked about regardless. Some would argue a mainstay of multiplayer idtech games. Bunnyhopping was the first thing I tried in BRINK before anything else (was soooo disappointed).

(Verticae) #13

Stop mixing up the words bunnyhopping and strafejumping, please .___.

(sereNADE) #14

Where were these words mixed up?

Bunny hopping, or bunny jumping, is a term used in video games to describe the basic movement technique in which a player jumps repeatedly, instead of running, in order to move faster.
__
Strafe-jumping requires a very specific combination of mouse and keyboard input. The exact technique involved depends on the game itself; however, most games follow a certain pattern of user actions. The movements are usually as follows:

The player presses the forward key, preparing to make the first jump.
Still keeping the forward key pressed, the player jumps, adding either the move left or the move right key (ergo the strafe in the term, strafe-jumping). The strafe and jump keys must be pressed at the same time.
To gain maximum speed, the player must now move the mouse smoothly to around a 45 degree (i.e., turn) in the direction of the strafe, while still holding down the two aforementioned keys. This part is called airstrafing, which is responsible for increase in speed during the jump.
For successive strafejumps, the player immediately jumps again on landing, swapping the direction of strafe as well as mouse motion.

__

If you would bother to try either of these in BRINK both with the cvars at default values and then with the cvars set with the stated changes you should notice the behavior of both bunnyhopping and strafejumping are quite different in BRINK.

(DarkangelUK) #15

I played about with this movement in Brink a while ago, it’s messy… very messy. Bizarrely the speed gain can rack up fast if you have a long straight with nothing in your way though not many areas exist (tested outside on the road on SecTow). There is no air control at all, you’re going forward and that’s it. The game insists that I’m covered in jam and get stuck just about every wall I go near which slows you down instantly, you stick to passing boxes and try and SMART over every little thing you go near which negates any speed gain you may have gotten, and at times messes you about that much you end up actually getting to your desired location slower.

(sereNADE) #16

Yeah, it’s messy even at it’s best. Optionally you can reduce vaulting times for quick recovery animations to maintain your stride. pm_powerslide less than 4 will reduce speedgains too.

(Fatfool) #17

Why is there still Bunny hopping in a 2011 game…:stroggtapir:

(sereNADE) #18

It isn’t there by default and once it is there through cvars it isn’t so great. That isn’t to say it couldn’t be better later on in a propub or other such mod, especially with custom maps with open spaces.

(MoonOnAStick) #19

The wall-hopping to increase speed mechanic works well. Combine this with some strafe-jumping and the ability to conserve a modest amount of momentum and you could have the basis of a pretty fun mod (using the light body type anyway.)

Of course, you can’t move more than 2 feet without SMART trying to grab onto something. I suppose this might be better with the SMART/Sprint keys separated, but you probably still need more open maps.

Before buying Brink, in the absence of any PC footage, I had hoped that fluid movement like this would be possible (along with gunplay from previous ET games.)

(gooey79) #20

I’d say it’s a case of the in-game character having some sort of fit as opposed to bunny-hopping.