message of day MOTD

(Silver.7) #1

My understanding is MOTD is where the server sends out regular messages every 15 secs or so, from a predefined list

Is that right ?

these server commands in config dont seem to do anything

si_motd_1 “message text”
si_motd_2 “message text”
si_motd_3 “message text”
si_motd_4 “message text”

do these commands work ?
do i put them in the config ?

Thanks for the help

(HugePinball) #2

They are still inactive. When they are available to use, a config file would be a good place to put them.

(Qbix) #3

AFAIK they are already in the normal server.cfg, but have no effect whatsoever.

(Crytiqal) #4

It doesn’t send out messages every 15 seconds, that would be g_banner.
Instead, motd would show server information when joining the server.

(KrilionGD) #5

Shame none of them actually work!! Which is why server owners don’t care for the game… Half of the promised ‘Control Your Server’ options do not function/are disabled…

(Mustang) #6

Source?
Don’t recall anything like this being promised

(Crytiqal) #7

Doesn’t matter, people expect progress with newer games over the previous ones. Not degeneration

(KrilionGD) #8

Exactly, if we had server scrolling msgs in previous titles, you’d expect them to be in newer titles… especially since it is a core mechanic needed by communities and clans… and they know this… So why is not functional, why are we waiting for this… It is absurd to release a game without such things. Likewise, a usable/working rcon tool to admin your servers… Again it is absurd to release a game without the tool…

What happen to all the hype about being able to meet the community gamers needs with brink, I can not adjust spawn times, delays between maps, remove those retard movie cut scenes, our any of the other numerous game mechanics to suit my clan members desires…

How about hardcore settings, removing the aim reticule, decreasing over all health, or tweaking weapon damages…

My clan and a huge number of others prefer a hardcore tactical style of play.

If SD is trying to compete with other genre titles, then those types of adjustable settings need to be there. Likewise, it’s not like they did not know these were the things the community was seeking and looking for…

Wow, I can adjust the round/match point score… whooo hooo I’m dance’n in the street now…

(KrilionGD) #9

It is also not like the engine they used was counter to those goals, in fact it WAS written to allow exactly that type of control and flexibility… But SD has everything turned off…

So it is NO SURPRISE what so ever that there are less than 100 populated servers in the US…

If I owned SD, I’d fire every single one of them… Then I would apologies to the community… Then I would fix it and try and save some face.respect…

But don’t take my word for it…

http://www.gametracker.com/search/brink/US/?sort=c_numplayers&order=DESC

(Crytiqal) #10

It prolly isn’t included because consoles have P2P connection which would disappear anyway when the host quits

(badman) #11

MOTD support is on the way.

(sereNADE) #12

This pleases me :slight_smile:

(DrD3ath) #13

That is good to hear. Any ETA ?

(badman) #14

Depends on how quickly it passes the various circles of testing. It’s not terribly far off with any luck. :slight_smile:

(DrD3ath) #15

Thanks. It is good new anyway whenever it comes :smiley: I do hope your testing cycles work better than where i work :slight_smile:

(Azev2000) #16

I don’t get it. Why are we worried about having a Message of the Day when there is less than 200 players playing multiplayer according to gametracker. This is just yet another feature on the long list of features not included and or disabled. What was the reasoning for removing this one? Let me guess MOTD’s were causing server crashes? Or was it Big Brother Bethesda who had you remove it because they didn’t want people writing bad words that could possibly hurt someones feelings.

(sereNADE) #17

I can’t think of one solid reason for you to question improvement. So why did you?

(Azev2000) #18

Venting my displeasure with the state that the game was released in which in turn has left us with a population so small that its difficult to find games during US primetime. I paid $49.99 for the product and have every right to voice my displeasure.

(DrD3ath) #19

Then voice it to the correct people. SD KNOW how to make MOTD work along with lots of other things. There is a reason its not in the game and you can be damned sure it isn’t that SD couldn’t make it work. They have had their hands tied behind their backs with contractual nightmares. Use your head. And btw, we have a BRINK server that is almost always full. Be constructive and call out the real reasons for the handicapping of some parts of the game. There are many more players than just SD.

(sereNADE) #20

You aren’t venting your displeasure, you are wallowing in it. They are improving the game and you effectively tell them not to because you do not like the state it currently is in. It makes no sense. Do you even own or rent a server? If so the MOTD is a well received improvement and using that as an excuse to whine is absolutely silly. If you don’t own or rent a server then you appear to just be grasping at straws for the chance to bitch about something.