Areaportal with Q3map2

(ronboy) #1

I need help with a problem. It seems areaportals don’t like Gtk Radiant 1.4.0, forcing me to use 1.2.11. But, 1.2.11 doesn’t seem to support angles on models. Below is a comparison with a 1.4.0 compile, and a 1.2.11 compile. Help would be appreciated.

(UJERebel) #2

Suggestions:

-1.5/netradiant maybe ( you’re mapping for RTWC right? dunno if its possible then :slight_smile: )

-Rotate these models in some modelling program

Grtz

(ronboy) #3

Yes, I’m mapping for rtcw. I have thought of another idea which involves keeping the tesla prods. Thanks for the help.
EDIT: Scratch that, my idea failed. I was going to put the tesla prods on some metal brushes, but the room is too small, and I can’t afford to make the room bigger. Does anyone know how to get these model angles to work with Q3map2? Or get areaportal brushes to work with Q3map2?

(UJERebel) #4

Just wondering:

Problem with GTK or Q3map? maybe combine some?

Or edit the angles in the .map file manually or smth?
(just some ideas that might help :))

(ronboy) #5

To be honest, I’m not sure. I believe it’s Gtk because the angles are messed up on the teslas in the camera window. I guess 1.2.11 doesn’t recognize the angles.
Here’s the angles in the entity window: 0 -2 90.
Those three angles are what made the tesla models stand up. But I need 1.2.11 because 1.4.0 has an areaportal bug. I’m kind of stuck here. :o

(UJERebel) #6

WHat’s the bug?

try to make the map in 1.4 and compile with Q3map from 1.2 ?

(remember, i’m not sure of what i’m saying, it could just be the right guess ^^ )

(ronboy) #7

The areaportal brushes make all models, sound, and ai vanish when the player stands in the center of one, all of which return when the player leaves the center. I know that doesn’t sound like a big problem, but it is. It’s very noticable, unfortunatley, and only occurs when using an areaportal in Gtk 1.4.0.
With 1.2.11, however, this bug doesn’t occur. I have a feeling it’s a bug with Q3map2, and I was wandering if there was a workaround to it. But, I can compile with Q3map2 in 1.2.11, and there’s no areaportal bug. It’s very strange. :confused: It’s too bad I can’t compile with Q3map in 1.4.0, because 1.4.0 only has Q3map2.
Thanks for your efforts, Rebel. :slight_smile:

(UJERebel) #8

oow :frowning:

Then the olny solution i can think of is rotating the models in a model progmam, so 0° is actually 90°…

Sry :slight_smile:

Good luck

(ronboy) #9

The model program solution wouldn’t work either. :frowning: Maybe Obsidian can help me? He knows a lot about Q3map2.

(kamikazee) #10

[QUOTE=ronboy;335039]To be honest, I’m not sure. I believe it’s Gtk because the angles are messed up on the teslas in the camera window. I guess 1.2.11 doesn’t recognize the angles.
Here’s the angles in the entity window: 0 -2 90.
Those three angles are what made the tesla models stand up. But I need 1.2.11 because 1.4.0 has an areaportal bug. I’m kind of stuck here. :o[/QUOTE]Can you make a tiny sample map containing the two problem areas (that is, a map with the two models in it and some passages where you can show the areaportal bug)?

(ronboy) #11

Yes, I’ve made a test map. I’ve zipped up the .map file and .bsp file into a pk3.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=T3QX9JF7

(obsidian) #12

Some older versions of Radiant had a bug that caused model angles to not show up properly in the 3D viewport. Q3Map2 compiles them correctly, but because you are placing them in the “wrong” position based on what you see in the viewport, they compile facing a different direction than from what you intended. Fix: use a newer version of Radiant.

Areaportals are dependent on Q3Map2, not Radiant. If you are having an issue, it might be worth investigating what Q3Map2 is doing, see log files, etc. If I have spare time, I’ll do some testing to see if I can reproduce the bug.

(ronboy) #13

[QUOTE=obsidian;335527]Some older versions of Radiant had a bug that caused model angles to not show up properly in the 3D viewport. Q3Map2 compiles them correctly, but because you are placing them in the “wrong” position based on what you see in the viewport, they compile facing a different direction than from what you intended.

Areaportals are dependent on Q3Map2, not Radiant. If you are having an issue, it might be worth investigating what Q3Map2 is doing, see log files, etc. If I have spare time, I’ll do some testing to see if I can reproduce the bug.[/QUOTE]

Ok, I checked the compile options in Radiant, and both 1.4.0 and 1.2.11 have the same Q3map2 compile options, so I don’t understand why 1.4.0’s compile has a bug with the areaportal, while 1.2.11’s doesn’t. :confused:
I’ve attached two pics of the areaportal bug, which I’ve explained on an above post.

(obsidian) #14

1.4.0 and 1.2.11 come with different packaged versions of Q3Map2, so how they work varies slightly across different versions (and occasionally, new bugs introduced).

Oh yeah, there’s also this (tl;dr - use skip):

Historically, Areaportals were created by applying the Areaportal shader to all 6 sides of a box brush. At some point during the development of Q3Map2, the preferred method was changed to use 5 Skip + 1 Areaportal faces, similar to how Antiportal is used.

Related tip: Also use skip with hint.

(ronboy) #15

I remember reading somewhere about texturing all but one side of an areaportal brush with skip. I did that, but it’s still not working. Maybe I’m doing something wrong?
EDIT: Just saw the edit on your post, Obsidian. Your solution fixes the model angles problem, but I’m still having trouble with the areaportal problem.

(ronboy) #16

Nevermind, I fixed it.

(UJERebel) #17

Nice!!

Mind sharing how? :slight_smile:

I’m cureous :stuck_out_tongue:

Sry couldnt help:)

(obsidian) #18

Other future persons searching for a resolution to the same problem might be disappointed reading this thread. It’s customary to post what you did to fix the problem. Thanks.

(ronboy) #19

Perhaps I worded my last post wrong. I didn’t mean that I fixed it, I just took out the teslas, and used 1.2.11 for the areaportals.
I had to choose between the teslas or the areaportals, and I’d rather choose optimization over details.
For some reason, your solution didn’t work, Obsidian. :confused: