Fixed Class outfit and colour Proposal

(.Chris.) #1

I’m finding it quite frustrating to play the game at the moment for various reasons, one been that I can’t readily tell which class the enemy is and sometimes in close quarters if the player in front of me is friend or foe, this is thanks in part to the customisation options. A friendly player can sometimes appear to have the red tint but in fact it’s just his clothing options. Having to rely on colour coded floating icons and text is a bit of nuisance for me personally, I’d much rather rely on model silhouettes and colour, they are much more noticable.

My proposal is as follows, allow a server the option to force a player’s clothing options and colours depending on their team and class like so:

(Click for larger size)

Unfortunately the resistance options don’t produce as much silhouette variance as the security ones do. Also note these are just examples.

I think this would be useful not only for clan matches but also for general public play. It would obviously require a mod to be implemented as I can’t see Bethesda or Splash Damage wanting to effectively turn off one of their key selling points of their game. (Customisation)

Thoughts and opinions?

(Matuka) #2

This would be an interesting idea for competitive game-play.

One of the main distinct features of Team-Fortress 2 was that you could identify each class just by looking at their silhouette. Whilst these may not be as defined as those of Team Fortress 2 they’re better than anything else and something such as this is ideal for competitive games (Counter-Strike players can easily distinguish weapons and players from far ranges due to their interesting body types, I for one can testify to that).

EDIT: In fact you just made me change the way that I look at my character, I now want to go in game and change the colour scheme! :slight_smile:

(matsy) #3

I think you’ve answered your own question there. Never going to happen.

From a competitive point of view I love your idea and would like to see it implemented as I am also having problems distinguishing between what classes to go for first which is slightly annoying.

(BMXer) #4

cg_ForceEnemyModel “1” plx, thx

(riptide) #5

This would be more than welcomed.

(crumbs) #6

This is one option, but I guess you would need to get the compettive scene to agree to use ur outfits :smiley:

I also thought it could be nice to have a secondary customization menu where you just select how your opponents will look.

(Matuka) #7

[QUOTE=crumbs;326683]
I also thought it could be nice to have a secondary customization menu where you just select how your opponents will look.[/QUOTE]

cg_forceenemyplayermodel “pm/keel”
cg_forceenemyplayercolor “green”

Would be so good. :slight_smile:

(Crytiqal) #8

cg_forceEnemyColorScheme “red”
cg_forceFriendlyColorScheme “blue”

(Thundermuffin) #9

[QUOTE=crumbs;326683]This is one option, but I guess you would need to get the compettive scene to agree to use ur outfits :smiley:

I also thought it could be nice to have a secondary customization menu where you just select how your opponents will look.[/QUOTE]

They could always make it customizable for each player; heck even QUAKE Live has color-able body parts for the enemy if I recall.

I’d prefer to have the enemy always be some crazy color like green or purple (their shirts could be different for each class), and my team always be a really muted color that kind of disappears into the map. I’d be about as happy, however, if your idea was implemented, though, since it’s still got everything color coded.

(riptide) #10

[QUOTE=Crytiqal;326755]cg_forceEnemyColorScheme “red”
cg_forceFriendlyColorScheme “blue”[/QUOTE]

This is probably the best idea.

(Evil-Doer) #11

Definitely a difficult task right now ahah

(Humate) #12

fantastic idea chris… :slight_smile:

(darthmob) #13

QL is what happens when you let programmers loose on a game. My impression from half a year ago or so was a ****ton of added poorly documented cvars that allowed you to change nearly literally anything. There were no design decisions except for the default settings. Their approach seems to be this: Anyone might want to use the setting differently? Make it optional! We can’t have enough options!

It’s the extreme opposite of what you find in a console game. And to be honest I rather have the confusion (freedom?) of not understanding all the settings than not being able to change anything at all.

(dohfOs) #14

Well. I like the idea Chris. Though. As I think I mentioned back in 2009ish I’d actually rather have some kind of “team wear” option. In ET:QW you could be saved to a team (well clan, but I don’t like that word). With a similar function in Brink. The Team Captain could force a team colour to members playing for that team (and with some kind of competitive server setting that enables that setting (cg_ForceTeamWear “1” or w/e). Obviously each team should have two colours to pick from since some will have the same (pretty much as in any team sports out there).

I for one wouldn’t want be forced to a certain model as that would take out a huge part of what Brink is about.

(.Chris.) #15

That part of what Brink is about is broken in my opinion. I know ZeroPunctation reviews are bit tongue in cheek but what he said about class silhouettes was a perfectly valid point I thought.

(riptide) #16

[QUOTE=darthmob;327683]QL is what happens when you let programmers loose on a game. My impression from half a year ago or so was a ****ton of added poorly documented cvars that allowed you to change nearly literally anything. There were no design decisions except for the default settings. Their approach seems to be this: Anyone might want to use the setting differently? Make it optional! We can’t have enough options!

It’s the extreme opposite of what you find in a console game. And to be honest I rather have the confusion (freedom?) of not understanding all the settings than not being able to change anything at all.[/QUOTE]

Anyone who wants to make a competitive game, or allow options for it to be played competitively, should follow suit with the freedom of configuration in QL. Especially the GUI being the most robust out of any game.

(Cankor) #17

I like the idea. For the resistance put the tire shoulder armor on the soldier for a more distinct silhouette.

(Thundermuffin) #18

There isn’t really need for much documentation when the cvar names are pretty straight forward; there’s only been a couple cvars that I couldn’t figure out what they were and ended up having to either do a quick Google search/re-read the release notes or just ask someone.

With SD saying this game was their most customizable yet, I was shocked when I wasn’t able to force enemy/team models. Seems like a no-brainer in a game where everyone will look ridiculously different. Hopefully they’ll look at his idea, realize it’s a needed feature and add it in.

(Up&Down) #19

Although i’m not involved in competitive play, it does sound like a good idea.

One thing which I did think of when I first played the game, which makes Brink different from others…

It would be good, for competetive clans, to all have exactly the same chracters, well not necessarily character faces the same, but identical clothes, to easily distinguish players in broadcast wars/events.

(madamonkey1990) #20

what if the just made ur retana change to something then ud shoot