Brink on LAN without internet

(Scienti5t) #1

Hello,

Anyone know if the dedicated server requires Steam to run?

And is there a way to connect the clients without Steam connection?

I was wanting to use Brink at a LAN event but there’s only a lame domestic DSL connection which drops out when there are 20 or so people using it.

From what I’ve seen with running a client with a listen server as soon as the Steam connection goes the game closes (even if it’s just me) and you can’t get to any of the multiplayer options.

(keefy) #2

You can activate offline mode in steam.

The dedicated server built into steam will also work without a connection just need to set it to LAN I think.

Using Offline Mode on a PC.

Please follow the instructions below to configure Offline Mode on your PC:

[ul]
[li]Start Steam online - make sure the Remember my password box on the login window is checked[/li]> [li] [/li]> [li]Verify that all game files are completely updated - you can see the update status for a game under the Library section (when the game shows as 100% - Ready it is ready to be played in Offline Mode)[/li]
[li] Launch the game you would like to play offline to verify that there are no further updates to download - shut down the game and return to Steam once you have confirmed that the game can be played[/li]> [li] [/li]> [li] Go to Steam > Settings to ensure the Don’t save account credentials on this computer option is not selected[/li]> [li] [/li]> [li]From the main Steam window, go to the Steam menu and select Go Offline[/li]> [li] [/li]> [li]Click Restart in Offline Mode to restart Steam in Offline Mode[/li]> [/ul]

Using Offline Mode on a Mac.

Please follow the instructions below to configure Offline Mode on your Mac:

[ul]
[li]Start Steam online - make sure the Remember my password box on the login window is checked[/li]> [li] Verify that all game files are completely updated - you can see the update status for a game under the Library section (when the game shows as 100% - Ready it is ready to be played in Offline Mode)[/li]> [li] Launch the game you would like to play offline to verify that there are no further updates to download - shut down the game and return to Steam once you have confirmed that the game can be played[/li]> [li] Go to Steam > Preferences to ensure the Don’t save account credentials on this computer option is not selected[/li]> [li] From the main Steam window, go to the Account menu and select Go Offline[/li]> [li] Click Restart in Offline Mode to continue.[/li]> [/ul]

More info here
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3160-AGCB-2555

You can use the standalone server tool if you want no need for steam to be installed.
Update tool
http://steampowered.com/download/hldsupdatetool.exe
Soem info how to use it, yes its TF2 CS:S etc but the same applies on how to update and downlaod the server files.
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189717

(Diffusion) #3

I am pretty sure I read that at release the game support LAN but requires that the client still connect on the internet to authenticate. They indicated they were looking into a way around this but I never saw any announcements.

Has anyone actually played a LAN game unplugged without any internet access ?
This is a huge selling point for me and my friends when we go up to the back woods.

(Scienti5t) #4

I tried today with the Brink client using Steam in offline mode.

No joy.

All the multiplayer options like run campaign as Private or Public and Freeplay were greyed out.

I have a feeling that the server might not need Steam to run but the client seems to need it to connect even via direct IP connection.

My copy is Steam purchased but two friends - one D2D and the other Amazon DVD - both had the same issue wi th gr eyed out menus offline.

It is a shame as I think this would be a blast at LANs.

(keefy) #5

Maybe you could use the “connect” command and directly connect to the IP of the server?

(Scienti5t) #6

Where is that command? In the console?

Could you remind me the launch switch to get the console up?

And then it would be connect ip.ip.ip.ip?

(keefy) #7

connect 192.168.1.66:27015 for example.

ctrl+alt+tilde

then type in com_allowconsole 1

You might also need to add this to your launch option in steam and to the batch file you use to launch the server

+set win_allowMultipleInstances 1

(Mustang) #8

Servers can be ran without Steam, not so sure about clients

(keefy) #9

[QUOTE=Diffusion;314612]I am pretty sure I read that at release the game support LAN but requires that the client still connect on the internet to authenticate. They indicated they were looking into a way around this but I never saw any announcements.

Has anyone actually played a LAN game unplugged without any internet access ?
This is a huge selling point for me and my friends when we go up to the back woods.[/QUOTE]

It ried after reading this thread and it doesnt seem possible the server for sure needs a connection to Steam otherwise it wont start properly as soon as I re-enable my net connection the server starts correctly.

This is the last part of the consoel without internet connection.

— Completed loading sequence in 4.11s —
_vmtrpages: locked 0 bytes (0.00 cache lines) in physical image, 0 cache lines in disk cache
maps/mp/aquarium: locked 0 bytes (0.00 cache lines) in physical image, 0 cache lines in disk cache
Virtual textures loaded and locked in 0.00s

00:04 to load maps/mp/aquarium.entities
All Stats Cleared
The connection to game session has been lost.
DisconnectSafe: Appending cmd system disconnect…
=== D I S C O N N E C T ===
--------- Game Map Shutdown ----------

Whilst using steam in ofline mode and using the connect IP:port command does work and is possible to join and play it doesnt last long after a minute or so you get disconnected due to an authentication error.

:frowning: sad faces.

(Scienti5t) #10

That is a pain and hopefully can be fixed.

I think my situation would be okay. The MW2 LAN-requiring-internet setup worked out okay there with 16.

Here’s hoping…

(Diffusion) #11

In one of the community interviews they acknowledged this was a problem and said they were working on a solution

"Will Brink have LAN support for PC? – Cinna Cinna

Yes, you can create LAN games in the PC version of the game. Everyone looking to play in the game will need a connection to the internet for the initial authorization check, but after that, all the action will be happening locally on the LAN server.

We are also aware that you may not always have an internet connection available at LAN events and are investigating a few alternatives there."

(Diffusion) #12

Any update regarding LAN play without access to internet ?

(brinco1971) #13

Bump

Will Brink have LAN support for PC? – Cinna Cinna

Yes, you can create LAN games in the PC version of the game. Everyone looking to play in the game will need a connection to the internet for the initial authorization check, but after that, all the action will be happening locally on the LAN server.

We are also aware that you may not always have an internet connection available at LAN events and are investigating a few alternatives there.

I’d love for that investigation to be finished while we still have people playing the game.

(Scienti5t) #14

Me too.
I love this game but I now have only 2 friends who play it.

(Diffusion) #15

Bump.
Any updates?

(brinco1971) #16

I’ve got me a very comfy couch while we wait for those updates.

Splash doesn’t seem to care about us in the slightest. Sad, since many times us server admins are the ones recommending games to our users, and I’m certainly not recommending Brink until it has proper LAN support.

(brinco1971) #17

Ok, I’m getting me some beer and movies.

(brinco1971) #18

Another update, again without LAN support.

Great. Just great.

(brinco1971) #19

Well, here’s me giving up. Our LAN party is today and we’re still waiting for LAN support.

Sad to see what Splash Damage (and a big part of the industry) has become. Gamers are now last in the list of priorities.

Bye bye, Splash. No longer will I preorder a game the moment you announce it just because it comes from you. And you lost 20 sales today. Your loss.

(gerg) #20

You can run Brink on a Lan without clients connected to internet.

1. start a dedicated server (note the IP address and Brink port if not default 27015)
    (this can start without being connected to internet)
  2. put steam in offline mode
  3. start brink client
  4. Join through the direct connect using the step 1 IP address.