Results 1 to 19 of 19

  Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: PLEASE READ: Server configs and you!

  1.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #1

    PLEASE READ: Server configs and you!

    Hey folks,

    We love your keen nature and that thirst to achieve the perfect server config, but we've noticed over the last few days that there seem to be a large number of issues with servers that are being caused by overzealous custom configs.

    When you do make your own config please bear in mind that the console, and many of the cvars in it, are not officially supported and in many cases may not work as expected, or even at all. For example you should not be adjusting bot_enable when trying to add or remove bots, only bot_minClients.



    With that in mind, please try to follow these simple rules with your server and its configs:
    • Try to stick to the default configs supplied with the server if possible
    • If you're running a server on a custom config and hit any issues, please remove the config and try one of the defaults
    • Try adding one or two cvars at a time to your config and testing it before you add more, so you can narrow down the problem cvar if you find one
    • When reporting server bugs on this forum always supply a console log and your config
    By following these steps you'll really help us seperate the genuine server issues that need to be fixed from the config releated errors that we can advise you to avoid!

    Finally, here's a Tapir

  2. #2

    Re: PLEASE READ: Server configs and you!

    Could I pretty please ask for a list of non supported cvars if thats not too much trouble?

  3. #3
    RED STAR HARDCORE xTriXxy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    State of Trance
    Posts
    971
    Most Recent Awards:

    Re: PLEASE READ: Server configs and you!

    Thnanks Anti,im ok with default server settings without bots and without team damage. As Crytiqal said, can we have list of supported cvars only?
    “Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes." William Gibson.

  4. #4

    Re: PLEASE READ: Server configs and you!

    I'd love to understand the rationale behind:

    • The decision to use pre-defined configurations
    • Reducing the number of customisable options of id Tech 4.
    • Why communication on configuring servers has been so poor


    It feels like PC servers are affected as a result of the game being built for multi-platform - consoles don't have the same flexibility in server control. Is this why the PC servers don't, either?

    I'll caveat my statements by saying I do love playing games on console and this isn't a dig at them. But. When I choose to buy for PC, I'm expecting some things fundamental to the experience. That includes the ability to set up and control my own dedicated server. Unfortunately, I can't do that if half of the options don't work.

    Over the last few days (before your post, OP), I've been giving Multiplay a hard time for the lag on the server. Following your post though, it does appear that there's at least the possibility that my customising the server has led to the problems.

    I would appreciate you taking the time to explain the decision as well as echoing previous posters comments on providing a list of variables we can work with.

  5. #5

    Re: PLEASE READ: Server configs and you!

    High Goo

  6. #6

    Re: PLEASE READ: Server configs and you!

    Keefy, well hello there.



    To add to my post, I've returned to a stock (Advanced) configuration with just a few additions (that I know do work) and so far, so good - no lag. Will need more than two games to fully confirm but looking more positive.

    My questions still stand though, I think they're fair.

  7. #7

    Re: PLEASE READ: Server configs and you!

    I am curious about applyServerConfig.
    What config is getting applied with this? If it's set to "applyServerConfig Competition", what "competition" config is being applied?

    How can I see what is being changed exactly by the applyServerConfig command?

  8. #8

    Re: PLEASE READ: Server configs and you!

    It relates to pre-determined configuration files created by Splash Damage.

    To find out what settings each of the 4 configurations apply to, click here.

  9. #9

    Re: PLEASE READ: Server configs and you!

    Quote Originally Posted by BMXer View Post
    How can I see what is being changed exactly by the applyServerConfig command?
    I guess by unpacking the *.sdpk2 files
    Anyone know how?
    They are using the PlayStation compression algorithm?


    Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise 64-bit
    Processor: Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.4 GHz
    Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 32 GB @ 3200 MHz
    Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti @ 1469 MHz | 388.13 (30th October 2017)
    Monitor: Dell Ultrasharp 2407WFP @ 1920x1200 (16:10)
    Sound: Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro
    Peripherals: K70 RGB 'Sails'; Mionix Naos 8200; Ergodex DX1

  10. #10
    Long Time ETQW Player The-Crow's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    23
    Most Recent Awards:

    Re: PLEASE READ: Server configs and you!

    Quote Originally Posted by *goo View Post
    It relates to pre-determined configuration files created by Splash Damage.

    To find out what settings each of the 4 configurations apply to, click here.
    I dont think the descriptions in the PDF are actually entirely correct (a bit like the misprinted serverhijack info). Mine shouldnt spawn bots but it was until I switched it off in my own config.
    "It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

  11. #11

    Re: PLEASE READ: Server configs and you!

    Quote Originally Posted by *goo View Post
    I'd love to understand the rationale behind:

    • The decision to use pre-defined configurations
    • Reducing the number of customisable options of id Tech 4.
    • Why communication on configuring servers has been so poor


    It feels like PC servers are affected as a result of the game being built for multi-platform - consoles don't have the same flexibility in server control. Is this why the PC servers don't, either?

    I'll caveat my statements by saying I do love playing games on console and this isn't a dig at them. But. When I choose to buy for PC, I'm expecting some things fundamental to the experience. That includes the ability to set up and control my own dedicated server. Unfortunately, I can't do that if half of the options don't work.

    Over the last few days (before your post, OP), I've been giving Multiplay a hard time for the lag on the server. Following your post though, it does appear that there's at least the possibility that my customising the server has led to the problems.

    I would appreciate you taking the time to explain the decision as well as echoing previous posters comments on providing a list of variables we can work with.
    +1

    Let us customize our own servers. Whats so hard to understand about that?

  12. #12

    Re: PLEASE READ: Server configs and you!

    you CAN customize your own server

    I just want to know which cvars are actually supported for that

  13. #13

    Re: PLEASE READ: Server configs and you!

    Quote Originally Posted by BMXer View Post
    I am curious about applyServerConfig.
    What config is getting applied with this? If it's set to "applyServerConfig Competition", what "competition" config is being applied?

    How can I see what is being changed exactly by the applyServerConfig command?
    I was curious to know about that as well so here goes:

    Code:
    si_teamDamage "1"
    si_maxPlayers "16"
    si_maxTeamSize "5"
    si_minPlayers "4"
    si_maxPlayersHuman "16"
    si_rankRestricted "0"
    si_globalVoipEnabled "1"
    si_teamVoipEnabled "1"
    si_readyPercent "50"
    g_deadSpectateTime "-1"
    bot_minClients "0"
    g_countdown "0.0"
    g_enableTeamBuffs "0"
    g_enableSuperBuffs "0"
    g_enableIntelGathering "0"
    si_scriptControlledtimeLimit "0"
    si_allowOvertime "0"
    si_teamForceBalance "1"
    g_spectatorMode "-1"
    si_warmupSpawn "1"
    This goes for "competition". Not really the most suited configuration for serious competition.
    Could work for pub-servers tho.

    I can post the other rulesets as well if anyone is interested.

  14. #14
    Totally mostly useless light_sh4v0r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    the Netherlands
    Posts
    3,048
    Most Recent Awards:

    Re: PLEASE READ: Server configs and you!

    Interesting how they put ready percentage at 50% for a 'competition' setup. you'd want 100% surely?
    We urgently require psi-tapirs!

    illuminated hairremover
    -eitsch0r

  15.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #15

    Re: PLEASE READ: Server configs and you!

    Quote Originally Posted by light_sh4v0r View Post
    Interesting how they put ready percentage at 50% for a 'competition' setup. you'd want 100% surely?
    Don't forget about spectators.

  16. #16

    Re: PLEASE READ: Server configs and you!

    spectators are required to "ready-up" ?

    Those should be excluded imo :/

  17. #17

    Re: PLEASE READ: Server configs and you!

    How i can set a sepperatly IP for the Server?

  18. #18

    Re: PLEASE READ: Server configs and you!

    Add to the command line "+set net_ip #.#.#.#"


    Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise 64-bit
    Processor: Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.4 GHz
    Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 32 GB @ 3200 MHz
    Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti @ 1469 MHz | 388.13 (30th October 2017)
    Monitor: Dell Ultrasharp 2407WFP @ 1920x1200 (16:10)
    Sound: Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro
    Peripherals: K70 RGB 'Sails'; Mionix Naos 8200; Ergodex DX1

  19. #19

    Re: PLEASE READ: Server configs and you!

    Do I have to specify on the server config whether stats are recorded? It does not show the games I play on my server (the most popular US Brink server on the PC) and every other server i'm on shows my stats. How can i fix this?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •