Brink error on switchable graphics

(noob300) #1

I have a AMD Radeon HD 6630M with the intel HD graphics. I have set brink to run on the AMD radeon card but apparently brink does not like that.
And this error occurs.

------ Initializing File System ------
Loaded pak000.sdpk2
Loaded pak001.sdpk2
Loaded pak002.sdpk2
Loaded pak003.sdpk2
Loaded zzzenglish000.sdpk2
Loaded zzzenglish001.sdpk2
Loaded zzzenglish002.sdpk2
Loaded zzzenglish003.sdpk2
Current search path:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\63434851\22350\local/base
C:\Users\Cyrus Lee\AppData\Local\Splash Damage\Brink/base
c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\brink/base
zzzenglish003.sdpk2
zzzenglish002.sdpk2
zzzenglish001.sdpk2
zzzenglish000.sdpk2
pak003.sdpk2
pak002.sdpk2
pak001.sdpk2
pak000.sdpk2
file system initialized.

Loaded 3781 manifest elements in 11 ms - 192Kb
Discarded 0 manifest elements
Max filename length: 0 characters
Brink 1.0.22745.47105 win-x86 May 12 2011 16:34:17
couldn’t exec ‘brinkconfig.cfg’
couldn’t exec ‘autoexec.cfg’
Vendor: 8086 Device: 0126
2693 MHz Intel CPU with MMX & SSE & SSE2 & SSE3 & HTT
4 logical cores
2 physical cores
HT enabled
8096 MB System Memory
1024 MB Video Memory
Initializing performance queries
Detected
2 2.69 GHz CPU
8096 MB of System memory
1024 MB of Video memory on an optimal video architecture

This system qualifies for High quality!
Vendor: 8086 Device: 0126
Winsock Initialized
Found interface: {B7B861FC-90E1-4EED-81F0-819CDB1E06E4} Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network) - 0.0.0.0 NULL ip - skipped
Found interface: {AEA6A1D6-0D6A-41D7-AAAD-728D7BDB2B2C} Atheros AR8151 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20) - 0.0.0.0 NULL ip - skipped
Found interface: {282E3C90-0A32-466E-9BBD-293B5884BA51} Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter - 192.168.1.65/255.255.255.0
Sys_InitNetworking: adding loopback interface
— Loading sequence: init —
sound index file ‘generated/preload/sound/pc/english/init.soundpreload’ is zero length
------- Initializing render context --------
Initializing OpenGL subsystem
…calling LoadLibrary( ‘wtsapi32.dll’ ): succeeded
…initializing Windows Terminal Server API
…registered window class
…registered fake window class
…calling LoadLibrary( ‘opengl32’ ): succeeded
…initializing QGL
GL_VENDOR: Intel
GL_RENDERER: Mobile Intel® HD Graphics
GL_VERSION: 3.0.0 - Build 8.15.10.2253

FATAL ERROR: The current video card / driver combination does not support OpenGL 3.1 or newer.

The current video card / driver combination does not support OpenGL 3.1 or newer.
Shutting down OpenGL subsystem
…releasing DC
…resetting display
…shutting down QGL
…unloading OpenGL DLL
…unloading Windows Terminal Server API DLL

(noob300) #2

bump…

(Sheza) #3

According to that report, the graphics card it is trying to use is Intel, which does not support Open GL 3.1.

Please see the following topics for a bit more info:
http://www.splashdamage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26164
http://www.splashdamage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26134

It’s an issue that has been creeping up recently, any extra information you have is great.

(Wieke) #4

Maybe you could turn off the intel graphics in your bios?

(noob300) #5

Im not gonna risk killing my pc for this game… hopefully there will be a patch for switchable amd graphics.

(noob300) #6

I forgot I also tried updating the catalyst control centre which apparently fixes some AMD cards (http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/AMDCatalyst115ahotfix.aspx) but for me the computer still loads brink up in intel graphics instead of the AMD card…

I was wondering what other programs (.exe files) brink loads up before the game starts so I might be able to try change that program to run on my AMD card.

(XxburgerkxX) #7

o.o cant you switch your switchable graphics?? o.o i can

(noob300) #8

I switched brink to AMD as I said in opening post, but brink still tries load it in intel, any suggestions?

Btw are you using AMD as well? If so, you can run brink?

(noob300) #9

Im using Catalyst Control Center.

(noob300) #10

bump…

(Wieke) #11

Erm turning something off in the bios doesn’t kill your computer, you can always turn it back on again. That said it is a bit of an advanced user thing so I can understand you not being comfortable with it.

We might be able to help if you post what model laptop you have. Or maybe a link to the manufacturer’s technical specs.

(noob300) #12

I have a vaio VPCCB17FG

http://www.sony.com.au/product/vpccb17fg

(Wieke) #13

First off, that’s a sweet looking laptop. Secondly I notice there’s a guide on how to manually configure the Graphics Driver of a specific application. I’m assuming you already did this for brink.exe seeing as you were asking if Brink ran any other executables. On that note GameOverlayUI.exe would be started simultaneously with Brink so you could try adding that to list (or disabling it in steam->settings->in-game).

(jfunk) #14

[QUOTE=noob300;308330]I forgot I also tried updating the catalyst control centre which apparently fixes some AMD cards (http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/AMDCatalyst115ahotfix.aspx) but for me the computer still loads brink up in intel graphics instead of the AMD card…

I was wondering what other programs (.exe files) brink loads up before the game starts so I might be able to try change that program to run on my AMD card.[/QUOTE]

The ATI driver releases are not compatible with switchable graphics configurations that use Intel chips as the IGP. Have you tried the latest driver available from Sony?

(noob300) #15

I’ve searched for it on google and tried pressing the driver update within the device manager but apparently both drivers are up to date. I hope intel/sony would make the intel hd graphics 3000 support opengl3.1 soon or update brink so it would support opengl3.0

(jfunk) #16

Have you installed the specific driver listed here:
http://www.sony.com.au/support/download/452349/product/vpccb17fg#

It’s #4, switchable graphics. As far as I can tell, that driver version should support OpenGL 3.1

You may need to manually uninstall the drivers you have now, as it may not overwrite them if they’re newer.

(Wieke) #17

[QUOTE=jfunk;311009]Have you installed the specific driver listed here:
http://www.sony.com.au/support/download/452349/product/vpccb17fg#

It’s #4, switchable graphics. As far as I can tell, that driver version should support OpenGL 3.1

You may need to manually uninstall the drivers you have now, as it may not overwrite them if they’re newer.[/QUOTE]

For good measure you may want to use this Ati cleanup tool before installing those drivers. (Otherwise some newer but incompatible with the dual gpu set-up files may be left behind and mess things up.)

(noob300) #18

It already says the driver versions are the same… do you think it will update to openGL3.1?
Also http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/intelhdgraphics3000_2000/sb/CS-032057.htm says its only up to opengl3.0 right now ;A; (sadface)

Thanks for all this time and effort on helping me btw.

(jfunk) #19

[QUOTE=noob300;312094]

It already says the driver versions are the same… do you think it will update to openGL3.1?[/QUOTE]

I can’t see your image, it’s too low res to zoom in on.

However, it certainly sounds like your problem at this point is your ATI GPU is not in use when Brink launches. Instead of relying on setting the program affinity in the auto switcher, I would try manually turning the ATI GPU on and disabling auto switching entirely.

You should have some kind of interface that looks like the pic that XxburgerkxX posted above where you can do this.

Both adapters can’t be active at the same time, so perhaps something in your configuration is preventing it from switching properly. For example, maybe if any app that is associated with the Intel chip (Chrome) is active anywhere it the background, it won’t switch. This is just a guess, but the point is that the root issue here is your Intel GPU being the active one when Brink launches instead of your ATI GPU. I would think disabling the auto-switch entirely is the quickest way to at least verify that you can launch the game properly with the ATI GPU active.

EDIT: Just to be clear, your ATI 6630 card SHOULD indeed run Brink. It’s compatible with OpenGL 3.1 and should have better performance than some of the other ATI Mobile products that people have confirmed are working. Just got to figure out why it’s not actually ON when you launch Brink.

EDIT2: There are several mentions in this thread about the ATI GPU not being properly detected by programs. I don’t have time to read through it all, but you may be able to find some help more specific to your laptop here: http://forum.notebookreview.com/sony-owners-lounge-forum/565530-sony-vaio-cb-official-owners-thread.html

(noob300) #20

pictures again… I tried the GameOverlayUI.exe but it has already been set to the AMD one, so it didnt work.
Also I do not have an interface that looks like XxburgerkxX.

Btw Wieke, where did you read it supported openGL3.1