Jobs?

(GossamerSolid) #1

I’ll start this post by saying that I’m a programmer in training. I’m just finished my first year with a 3.77 GPA (canadian grade system) and I had a A Honors in Programming (Java was the language that we used).

I saw that the jobs posting said that Splash damage was only looking for people with experience on previous game titles.

I was wondering if Splash Damage would take people that graduated fresh out of college. I have two more years and I’m really looking to eventually end up in the game development field.

(Nail) #2

you could possibly apply for an internship

(SphereCow) #3

I dunno how programmers go about getting jobs, honestly. I would assume you have to have skills involving games?

You live in flippin’ Canada, where there’s a seriously growing game industry.

Why don’t you get some entry level stuff there, do mods for Brink or something on your free time, and try to apply when you have more xp?

Programmers are always in short supply for mods these days.

(GossamerSolid) #4

[QUOTE=Luddens Desir;305030]I dunno how programmers go about getting jobs, honestly. I would assume you have to have skills involving games?

You live in flippin’ Canada, where there’s a seriously growing game industry.

Why don’t you get some entry level stuff there, do mods for Brink or something on your free time, and try to apply when you have more xp?

Programmers are always in short supply for mods these days.[/QUOTE]

Yeah when Brink’s SDK comes out I’ll be working with it for sure.

I’ve tried to work on Total Conversions for stuff like the UE3, but I can never find a decent/willing modeller or texture artist.

(Aar0n) #5

One more year then Im off to university, im in the middle of my exams just now actually, the one thing ive noticed is that almost every developer is looking for people with experience, they want you to have been part of a team thats shipped two maybe three AA/AAA games. It really is a case of start at the bottom (intern) and expect to do just **** work, and then slowly but surely ascend.
One website I can recommend (im not sure if im allowed to post links?) is animationbase, pretty decent, Rockstar Games listed some jobs as did Guerilla (Killzone3), I joined just too see what devs wanted from you. Theres alot of variety tbh, good luck man, and I hope you land it big with a good studio

PEACEEE

(shagileo) #6

[quote=Aar0n;305569] It really is a case of start at the bottom (intern) and expect to do just **** work, and then slowly but surely ascend.
[/quote]

This is true (for almost every career actually).

You can’t reach the top until you’ve used every step of the ladder.
It’s important to know what even the smallest or “lamest” job in a career contains and what you can expect from that person doing that job.

(Exedore) #7

What province? It’s quite easy to land a job in Montreal if you’re willing to go to Quebec, but there are also openings in Toronto and Vancouver, and of course Bioware in Edmonton.

(phathod) #8

GossamerSolid, it’s good to see people interested in the same field as I, but you should definitely look into learning more skills. I’ve got about a year left on my bachelors degree, and I’m still looking for more programming languages to learn. As I once learned, a programmers potential is related to how many languages he knows. If you can learn and demonstrate proficiency in multiple different languages, you can show potential employers that you are able to learn any language they may need you too.

Also, it never hurts to have a rounded understanding of the game development process, so knowing a little about how 3D models/animations, sounds/music, and anything else is a big plus. Finally, looking at the jobs that splash damage listed, they are looking for middle to high level employees. Students such as us usually have to aim for Quality Assurance/Testing, or internships to get started. Internships are hard to find, and the best method is to send your super nice portfolio to the human resources department of wherever you are applying, even if they don’t have any jobs/internships listed.

Edit: What field are looking to get a job in? Programming?

(Roddick) #9

The best way to get a job at a good company is that you should 1st apply for internship there…!!!
After completion of your internship you can place your application for a permanent job…!!