Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 398

Thread: Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory 2 - any chances?

  1. #81
    Diciple of H0RSE
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Canada, EH.
    Posts
    169
    Most Recent Awards:

    Re: Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory 2 - any chances?

    Quote Originally Posted by DrpPlates View Post
    W:ET2- sure, i'd go for that.. only if it was for PC, if console wants it, it can be ported to them.. after Brink, i'll never buy a PC game that is ported from console without a Beta or Demo so i can test it out first
    Ummm

    BRINK was made for each system seperate and not ported at all. Or am i just hearing things?
    SECURITY - We must have order! WE MUST SAVE THE ARK!

    Old Beth forums accounts - Dr.Ricktofen, Mr.Rick

    PSN: DrRicktofen

  2. #82

    Re: Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory 2 - any chances?

    lol. guys on the Beth forums call it a bad port from PC and here it's a bad port from console
    Quote Originally Posted by MistaSparkle View Post
    and every time Nail comes in and ruins it

  3. #83

    Re: Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory 2 - any chances?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nail View Post
    lol. guys on the Beth forums call it a bad port from PC and here it's a bad port from console
    thats happen when you sell a beta out of the box.

  4. #84

    Re: Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory 2 - any chances?

    please stay out of this thread, it doesn't concern you, this is not about Brink
    Quote Originally Posted by MistaSparkle View Post
    and every time Nail comes in and ruins it

  5. #85

    Re: Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory 2 - any chances?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Ricktofen View Post
    Ummm

    BRINK was made for each system seperate and not ported at all. Or am i just hearing things?
    you are hearing things, the engine is crossplatform q4 handles linux/pc/mac/xbox, ps3 was probaly added by id to quakewars

    all of the main game engines are cross platform

  6. #86

    Re: Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory 2 - any chances?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nail View Post
    please stay out of this thread, it doesn't concern you, this is not about Brink
    Not concerning me? Dude, I played W:ET competition from 2003-2007. So donīt tell me to stay out here. I would love to see a W:ET2 coming but without any casualgaming or console compromises.

    The perfect W:ET successor for me would be:

    Built on ETPRO with keeping the whole gamemechanic. (movement, accuracy, weaponry, classes)
    Take the best maps of RTCW and W:ET plus add some new ones.
    Add character customising. (with classical ww2 soldiers and maybe some zombies)
    Add voip and friend/clan system.
    Guess smartmoves would be fun but not with sprint/smart on one button.
    I know a game like that will never happen but Im pretty sure a lot of people would love it, too.
    Last edited by abnorm; 27th May 2011 at 08:02.

  7. #87

    Re: Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory 2 - any chances?

    Releasing the games under GPL, id software is mainly benefiting of it.

    First their games remain playable also on future platforms (as long someone declares to maintain the gpl release), also they can still sell the games and the assets/content can then be used with the optimised executable of the gpl project and they can employ new talented developers which are then already confident in the idtech tree due the work on a gpl release.

    I dont think that Zenimax will be now the bad side that doesnt want to release the idtech4 games under GPL, perhaps with more restrictions but they will be released.

    So I expect this year the release of d3 under gpl and the next year, or appr. in 2 years Q4.



    Anyhow. As I can see most of you want the vanilla ET, maybe with etpro/jaymod settings just with a couple engine and gameplay enhancements, but all overall the game shall remain as it is.

    There are already projects that exist on the GPL'ed W:ET release, you just cant expect fast progress on this projects since all people helping on such a project having limited time, because they do it in their free spare time. So go ahead and help them or wait until on something like W:ET Live, but probably you will wait forever...

  8. #88

    Re: Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory 2 - any chances?

    Quote Originally Posted by donmichelangelo View Post
    There are already projects that exist on the GPL'ed W:ET release, you just cant expect fast progress on this projects since all people helping on such a project having limited time, because they do it in their free spare time. So go ahead and help them or wait until on something like W:ET Live, but probably you will wait forever...
    From what I have read is that Et: Xreal has been abandoned and that was the only real active project.

    I will try to contact some freelance artists I know and discuss this idea through.
    Last edited by Pegazus; 27th May 2011 at 14:30. Reason: False information
    Project: Wolf Records
    S&M Mapping - S&M Mapping

    Wolf: MP - Blog Of The Next Wolfenstein: Multiplayer

  9. #89

    Re: Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory 2 - any chances?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nail View Post
    I don't know about Unreal engine, I would think something like Unity might be better
    Unity is too 'slow' for my part, I have developed a few small games in Unity and noticed the overall reaction time is slower than IDTech3. Also, it usually renders more than you want.

    If any W:ET2 is going to be made I suggest to either build on the original ID3 'ET' engine or use something like XReal.

  10. #90

    Re: Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory 2 - any chances?

    Quote Originally Posted by etwolfmod View Post
    Carmack sold id software to Zenimax, Zenimax acquired the rights to all id games, including wolfensteinm quake, doom. They have the rights to the engines too. But, they know that id released their older tech with gpl. That is why they allowed id release wolf under the gpl recently.
    Thanks for the answer, now I have most of this clear. But lol, not a smart move by Carmack to sell id Software

  11. #91

    Re: Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory 2 - any chances?

    id are not benefiting from GPL unless you want to sell your game as a indie title, then you have to pay id $1000 per number sold, like UDK makes you do

    but you would be better off, getting $300k for a licence and making a few million off of a retail game

  12. #92

    Re: Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory 2 - any chances?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pegazus View Post
    From what I have read is that Et: Xreal has been abandoned and that was the only real active project.

    I will try to contact some freelance artists I know and discuss this idea through.
    Please don't spread untrue rumours. From whoever, or wherever you got this information it's wrong.
    Tr3b's ET:XreaL is in progress and other side-projects around the source too, though not every project around the ET source will "survive" at the end...


    While you mention artists. That's a good point, there is a big lack of artists and it doesn't even matter which project it is. Coders are there, but no artists.

  13. #93

    Re: Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory 2 - any chances?

    Quote Originally Posted by donmichelangelo View Post
    Please don't spread untrue rumours. From whoever, or wherever you got this information it's wrong.
    Tr3b's ET:XreaL is in progress and other side-projects around the source too, though not every project around the ET source will "survive" at the end...
    Pardon me. My information was wrong then. I shall edit my mistake immediatly.
    Sorry again.
    Project: Wolf Records
    S&M Mapping - S&M Mapping

    Wolf: MP - Blog Of The Next Wolfenstein: Multiplayer

  14. #94

    Re: Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory 2 - any chances?

    Quote Originally Posted by abnorm View Post
    Not concerning me? Dude, I played W:ET competition from 2003-2007. So donīt tell me to stay out here. I would love to see a W:ET2 coming but without any casualgaming or console compromises.

    The perfect W:ET successor for me would be:

    Built on ETPRO with keeping the whole gamemechanic. (movement, accuracy, weaponry, classes)
    Take the best maps of RTCW and W:ET plus add some new ones.
    Add character customising. (with classical ww2 soldiers and maybe some zombies)
    Add voip and friend/clan system.
    Guess smartmoves would be fun but not with sprint/smart on one button.
    I know a game like that will never happen but Im pretty sure a lot of people would love it, too.
    if you want to stay on topic, then you're more tha welcome to participate, leave the Brink whines out though please
    Quote Originally Posted by MistaSparkle View Post
    and every time Nail comes in and ruins it

  15. #95

    Re: Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory 2 - any chances?

    You know what. Why not just take RTCW, W:ET etc, freshen them up, make them play nice and together on multiple platforms then release on Steam for $15. I'd snap up a (forgive me) 'HD' version of RTCW for the single player alone and if Sony can HD their back catalogue why the hell can't we, for arguably even more solid games, get a little refresh.

  16. #96

    Re: Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory 2 - any chances?

    Quote Originally Posted by king_troll View Post
    id are not benefiting from GPL unless you want to sell your game as a indie title, then you have to pay id $1000 per number sold, like UDK makes you do

    but you would be better off, getting $300k for a licence and making a few million off of a retail game
    If you want to sell a game that has id's GPL engine code you don't have to pay anything to id. The gpl license allows that. What the license says is that you have to make the source code of that modified game available to anyone too. It's not like UDK, which is closed source and you have to pay epic royalties after several units sold.

  17. #97

    Re: Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory 2 - any chances?

    Quote Originally Posted by dutchmeat View Post
    Unity is too 'slow' for my part, I have developed a few small games in Unity and noticed the overall reaction time is slower than IDTech3. Also, it usually renders more than you want.

    If any W:ET2 is going to be made I suggest to either build on the original ID3 'ET' engine or use something like XReal.
    Between both, i'd say the original gpl'ed id3 engine would be better, it's simpler, and it would run on most computers. With some graphical enhancements too, of course. I like to contribute to this effort if there is such. Since some mention Steam in a would be commercial release, anyone considered the mac appstore too?

  18. #98

    Re: Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory 2 - any chances?

    someone drag Jaybird in here, could use another modder
    Quote Originally Posted by MistaSparkle View Post
    and every time Nail comes in and ruins it

  19. #99

    Re: Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory 2 - any chances?

    Quote Originally Posted by SockDog View Post
    You know what. Why not just take RTCW, W:ET etc, freshen them up, make them play nice and together on multiple platforms then release on Steam for $15. I'd snap up a (forgive me) 'HD' version of RTCW for the single player alone and if Sony can HD their back catalogue why the hell can't we, for arguably even more solid games, get a little refresh.
    I'd be interested in that too, but RTCW is a commercial game, still sold on steam and such. Zenimax wouldnt like the community or anyone else re-releasing their game without them. ET is a free game, anyone know what does the license that et's content says? Does the license mention that the game's content, graphics, sounds and such, be offered free? Or would the license allow something like retailers that sell CDs with demos.

  20. #100

    Re: Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory 2 - any chances?

    Quote Originally Posted by etwolfmod View Post
    I'd be interested in that too, but RTCW is a commercial game, still sold on steam and such. Zenimax wouldnt like the community or anyone else re-releasing their game without them. ET is a free game, anyone know what does the license that et's content says? Does the license mention that the game's content, graphics, sounds and such, be offered free? Or would the license allow something like retailers that sell CDs with demos.
    If you wanna sell a game based on idtech3 you need to buy a license anyway.

    But releasing a game under the GPL wont cost anything as long as you dont sell it, only if you want to make $$ with it.

    You are not allowed to redistribute the ET content. So the asssets/content that was shipped along with ET cant be used in a GPL game. At least you cant package it like that. People would need to download ET and then they would need to unzip the content into you game directory.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •