Outstanding FPS, still feels sluggish.

(pindab0ter) #1

I’m running the following specs:

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T
8GB DDR3
AMD Radeon HD 6800 in Crossfire
Windows 7 64-bit (Classic mode, so no Aero)

When turning on the FPS display ingame it states that I’m running on 80-110 FPS, MORE than enough one would say, but still the game feels sluggish. Though I’m pretty sure VSYNC is off (forced off through RadeonPro) it still looks and feels as though it’s on. The mouse movement isn’t smooth but choppy, not erratic, just not smooth.

I used to play comp. TF2 and with FPS configs you could get a 120FPS, not because your eye can see the difference, but because it ‘feels’ smooth. With Brink I get that FPS without it being smooth at all.

Any suggestions?

(Emke) #2

Don’t worry, you are not alone with this problem. Nearly every ATI user have Grid bug, framerate issues and that crossfire ist not working. So you can only wait for a Patch

(cmdsoda) #3

Hi, this has nothing to do with the ATI card. I’m using a nvidia card and i’m experiencing the same behavior. 60 fps with slugish controls.

(pindab0ter) #4

Somehow “Don’t worry” was a very nice thing to hear. But you say crossfire isn’t even working yet? I’ve disabled it just now and didn’t notice a difference in FPS, so I guess you’re right. Then again, I couldn’t run it full spec which is odd with two 6850s, or am I just overrating them then?

(Seze) #5

Do you experience this in singleplayer mode only?

Then this behavior is “normal” (at the moment). Your own server is capped at 30 fps, if I remember a statement from a developer correctly. On multiplayer servers you should have a much smoother game.

I have this behavior myself here… exceeding 100 fps by far, but singleplayer feels sluggish. No problems on online servers, tho.

(cmdsoda) #6

i’m getting this sluggishness in single and multi. fps meter says 60 fps but it feels like 20-30 fps.

you know, it feels like the game drops every second frame and draws the last one instead.

(Ricaz) #7

The issue with the FPS feeling low but showing up high is an issue with servers. If you host your own Listen Server (ie. play singleplayer), there is a 30 FPS limit. This limit will also be there if you join someone else’s listen server. It has been like that with every game ever released on the idTech 4 engine.

The problem I have is everywhere. Low fps (30-60) even though my specs should have this running smooth all the time.

Please look around in the forums before you post, there are tons of these posts around.

(ArkRebel) #8

Is it possible that the FPS-lock was removed with a little update? I use the ingame-fps-counter via console and when I played singleplayer or hosted a coop-campaign the fps were capped at 30. But now (just noticed), they are between 30 and 120 (depending on situation & map), just the way it is when playing online… strange?

(DarkangelUK) #9

My fps counter always has shown high even when offline and with the 30fps cap.