Brink Save Game Location?

(xBISHOPx) #1

Looking for some help here. I’ve lost my save/ characters (so much for steam cloud) after adding an autoexec.cfg to change the in game options, since we were so limited, so I’m looking for the save location of your characters/ game. What I’ve found so far is a Game.save file located here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\YOUR#\22350\remote

Are there any other files I should know about/ back up before I mess with the autoexec.cfg again?

(Conine) #2

Any profile data, including character information, key bindings, progression, etc. will be stored in the folder you mentioned.

Any system specific preferences like for instance video settings will be stored in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\YOUR#\22350\local\base

Any files Brink needs to run are stored in either C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\brink or C:\Users\YOUR_WIN_LOGIN\AppData\Local\Splash Damage\Brink

If you want to know the specific paths on your machine open the console using ctrl+alt+` and type one of the following commands to get the path:

[ul]
[li]fs_basepath
[/li][li]fs_savepath
[/li][li]fs_userpath
[/li][/ul]

Usually it’s the profile data that you really want to keep around and perhaps the system specific preferences if you really want to avoid having to set those again.
It’s generally good advice to make a back-ups before making changes outside of the game, because due to the way Steam Cloud works, even damaged files will be synchronized.

(ryryelectro) #3

I tried using the backup game.save file to replace the current game.save file. However, on launch of game, I am forced to create a new character and start all over! The game.save file is overwritten and therefore back ups don’t even work!!

Basically: BACK UPS DO NOT WORK

(ezekiel683) #4

Just an Idea…

Maybe because of the timestamp on the file?
I presume the Steam Cloud sync preference is to use the newest file, be is steam cloud or client
So if the new fresh new blank save file that was just created OR a previous wrong file sync has a newer timestanp on creation or modified (than your backup) then steam will replace your backup as it is of an older date. try changing the attributes of your backup so the creation and modified are the most recent using the following at the command prompt when in the remote folder

MAKE ANOTHER BACKUP FIRST

copy /b game.save +,,

That should make the same file but with a creation date of when you executed the command.
This should then be copied to correct steam folder as noted above.
Does that work?

(VonSchpam) #5

Splash Damage told us to backup the game.save file… so I did… it doesn’t work. I’ve lost my character despite having a copy of the file.

I fully reinstalled the game… and then added the game.save back to the userdata/#userID/22350/remote folder… and BRINK ignores it and starts a brand new game with a new character.

(suzpiper) #6

My characters were deleted after the May 13 patch, so that issue is not at all fixed. I tried restoring an older copy of the save file from the previous version history, and had the same issue as the OP - it restarts from scratch.

(abjectblitz) #7

Same thing here, I’ve got my backup up game.save file but when I stick it in and launch brink it just overwrites and starts from scratch.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

I don’t want to start from 0, anyone have a fix for it to use the old save file? I also tried using a backup with +set save_readFile game.save.backup5 but not working.

This is bs, characters should be saved online to stop things like this. Unacceptable for a multiplayer game, I don’t care about losing singleplayer saves but losing characters and weapon unlocks just down-rite sucks.

(AndRec) #8

[QUOTE=Conine;297914]Any profile data, including character information, key bindings, progression, etc. will be stored in the folder you mentioned.

Any system specific preferences like for instance video settings will be stored in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\YOUR#\22350\local\base

Any files Brink needs to run are stored in either C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\brink or C:\Users\YOUR_WIN_LOGIN\AppData\Local\Splash Damage\Brink

If you want to know the specific paths on your machine open the console using ctrl+alt+` and type one of the following commands to get the path:

[ul]
[li]fs_basepath
[/li][li]fs_savepath
[/li][li]fs_userpath
[/li][/ul]

Usually it’s the profile data that you really want to keep around and perhaps the system specific preferences if you really want to avoid having to set those again.
It’s generally good advice to make a back-ups before making changes outside of the game, because due to the way Steam Cloud works, even damaged files will be synchronized.[/QUOTE]

with this command : fs_savepath it show me the appdata\local\splash damage\brink folder but in my steam version , the .save file is in the folder in c:\steam\etc…(with the backup file) can this do some problem in the future, or its ok? there is a way to change the wrong path there?

(Surkov E Jaeger) #9

I have also lost my characters. I have a backup save but it simply won’t take. I always have to make a character upon running the game. Any help on this or am I screwed?

(Crispy) #10

[QUOTE=AndRec;363987]with this command : fs_savepath it show me the appdata\local\splash damage\brink folder but in my steam version , the .save file is in the folder in c:\steam\etc…(with the backup file) can this do some problem in the future, or its ok? there is a way to change the wrong path there?[/QUOTE]That’s fine. Different files are sourced from different locations as Conine mentioned.

…\Steam\userdata#user#\22350\remote\ contains your current Save file and the automatic backups.

Surkov E Jaeger, do you have Steam Cloud enabled or disabled for Brink?

(dunway) #11

I have Steam Cloud enabled, but my issue is a bit different- I changed a few things in my “autoexec” file to take screenshot of all the maps. Now I’m done, so I deleted the entries I made, put the exec file back in and after firing up the game my old settings are still active? I’m afraid to switch save game files because I have 6 20+ characters I don’t want to lose. Any idea why this is happening?

(FireWorks) #12

Because the changes you make are saved. An autoexec only makes sure, that they are definitly there every time you launch the game in case you messed around with some of the cvars inside it in the meantime.

You have to reset all cvar settings manually: Run the game, open the console and run the command cvar_restart. Quit and restart the game.

(dunway) #13

So what your saying is all I have to do is “Run the game, open the console and run the command cvar_restart. Quit and restart the game.” I did what you said and that did not fix my problem- the old settings are still there? There must be something else I’m not doing?

(HugePinball) #14

You should also remove any (or all) unwanted custom settings you have added in an autoexec.cfg and game launch options beforehand, or they will be reapplied next time you start the game.

By the way, I didn’t see it linked to above, but there’s a specific process to restoring backed-up save games; Simply copying backup game.save files into the proper folder won’t do it: http://www.splashdamage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28367

(dunway) #15

[QUOTE=HugePinball;371243]You should also remove any (or all) unwanted custom settings you have added in an autoexec.cfg and game launch options beforehand, or they will be reapplied next time you start the game.

By the way, I didn’t see it linked to above, but there’s a specific process to restoring backed-up save games; Simply copying backup game.save files into the proper folder won’t do it: http://www.splashdamage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28367[/QUOTE]

Like I said, I removed all added commands for taking screenshots, dropped the autoexec.cfg back in and no difference. What do you mean by “game launch options?”

I’m a bit skeptical of the “restoring backup save game files”. Seems alot of ppl loose everything, and have to start from scratch, that will be my last option.

(dunway) #16

Found my problem, this may have been what “HugePinball” was referring to Game launch options, I found my controls were changed in game. Changed them back and all is well.

Something to be said for leaving thing alone… :smiley:

(Crispy) #17

[QUOTE=HugePinball;371243]there’s a specific process to restoring backed-up save games[/QUOTE]Precisely.

You must follow the steps in the stickied thread or you will run into the problems described in this thread.

(Melamaniid) #18

nice, friendly up !!good post, thanks for post, +1))))