A couple of entity questions

(SCDS_reyalP) #1

Some discussion over at tramdesign:
http://tramdesign.darktech.org/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=001215

showed up an ommission in the .def file (some spawnflags missing from team_WOLF_checkpoint)

I’ll submit a fix for that to ttimo, and while I’m at it, I’d like to clear up a couple of other issues.

• What does is the cp_hold spawnflag in a team_WOLF_checkpoint supposed to do ?

• Model2 for a func_explosive seems to be broken. Even if you make an origin brush as part of your func_explosive, the model always shows up at the origin of the map. Is there a way to make this work, or should we just note that it doesn’t work for MP in the .def file ?
    It does work in SP.

• A description of how to use scriptname/targetname (ala tram) on team_CTF_xxxspawn entities would be nice. I can probably figure this out from the .bsp/.script, but straight from the horses mouth would be nice.

Thanks in advance.

PS: Is there a plan to release a game code update for the recent patches ? I see that the OSP folks have it, but haven’t heard of a general release. Even for those of us who aren’t modding, it’s a handy reference for things like this.

edit: typo

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SCDS_reyalP on 2002-06-18 22:06 ]</font>

(digibob) #2

On 2002-06-18 21:56, SCDS_reyalP wrote:
Some discussion over at tramdesign:
http://tramdesign.darktech.org/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=001215

showed up an ommission in the .def file (some spawnflags missing from team_WOLF_checkpoint)

I’ll submit a fix for that to ttimo, and while I’m at it, I’d like to clear up a couple of other issues.

• What does is the cp_hold spawnflag in a team_WOLF_checkpoint supposed to do ?

• Model2 for a func_explosive seems to be broken. Even if you make an origin brush as part of your func_explosive, the model always shows up at the origin of the map. Is there a way to make this work, or should we just note that it doesn’t work for MP in the .def file ?
    It does work in SP.

• A description of how to use scriptname/targetname (ala tram) on team_CTF_xxxspawn entities would be nice. I can probably figure this out from the .bsp/.script, but straight from the horses mouth would be nice.

Thanks in advance.

PS: Is there a plan to release a game code update for the recent patches ? I see that the OSP folks have it, but haven’t heard of a general release. Even for those of us who aren’t modding, it’s a handy reference for things like this.

edit: typo

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SCDS_reyalP on 2002-06-18 22:06 ]</font>

Cant get to the site amt for some reason.

cp_hold is probably related to capture and hold style gameplay mode, which afaik, was never completed, i’ve never seen it running, nor does it look like the code was ever completed for it, i could be wrong.

i’ll check up on the model2 thing tommorow when i’m slightly more sober.

and as for the spawn points, i believe doing a alertentity on them toggles them as usable or not, with there being a spawnflag to enable them as starting on or off, i’ll check with some of the rest of the team on that later.

(sock) #3

It does work in SP.

Not sure why you would use a model2 on a func_explosive because I cannot find any examples in the original SP maps which do this.

All the examples I’ve seen so far in the source maps (probably will be corrected! :wink: ) use a script_mover, clip brushes, origin brush and model2 key pointing to the model. With “start_invis” func_explosives close by. The script_mover is usually twisted/popped into place and everything is controlled via scripts afterwards.

Once things are required to explode the original script_mover is removed and the “start_invis” func_explosives entities close by are triggered. This approach gives you more flexibility to delay func_explosive events and produce more scripted sequences. The same principle is used in the mp_rocket sequence at the end of the map. But rememeber func_explosive looks slightly different in MP anyway.

May not be the most direct way of doing it but who said things where simple! :wink:

As mentioned in another thread here the 1.33 patch code is with activision being QA tested. When they are finished it will be released.

Sock

(RR2DO2) #4

Right, some quick spawnpoint changes documentation. We’ve added a new spawnflag to the team_CTF_<colour>player entities, STARTDISABLED, to allow them to be disabled on mapstart. The new .def entries are now:

/*QUAKED team_CTF_redplayer (1 0 0) (-16 -16 -16) (16 16 32) ? INVULNERABE - STARTDISABLED
Only in CTF games.  Red players spawn here at game start.
*/

/*QUAKED team_CTF_blueplayer (0 0 1) (-16 -16 -16) (16 16 32) ? INVULNERABE - STARTDISABLED
Only in CTF games.  Blue players spawn here at game start.
*/

Next to that, you can now target a spawn entity from a brushscript using ‘alertentity <target>’ which will toggle it’s enabled/disabled state. (We’ve also extended alertentity so it goes trough all entities with targetname equals <target> instead of it only triggering the first one.)

The final change we made is that checkpoints now toggle initial spawns as well as the normal spawns. (initial spawns being the team_CTF_<colour>player ones).

Hope this helps you!

Cheers,

(SCDS_reyalP) #5

On 2002-06-24 20:08, RR2DO2 wrote:
Right, some quick spawnpoint changes documentation. We’ve added a new spawnflag to the team_CTF_<colour>player entities, STARTDISABLED, to allow them to be disabled on mapstart. The new .def entries are now:

Right. Saw that in the zerowing CVS.

(We’ve also extended alertentity so it goes trough all entities with targetname equals <target> instead of it only triggering the first one.)

Nice…

Hope this helps you!

Cheers,

Very much. Thanks!

(jer sypult) #6

talking with various folk about some entity weirdness i got referred over here… seems to already be a topic on entities, so i’ll just blurt out what i’ve got in this thread.

i’ve noticed some weirdness in the target_effect entity code. i got curious and downloaded the wolfsp and wolfmp code to poke around and see what was going on, as the ‘tnt’ effect i wanted worked in SP, but not in MP. the file is cg_event.c – and starting on line 957 is CG_Effect, which also has an old target_effect QUAKED entity definition… lo and behold…

line 957

/*
==============
CG_Effect
	Quake ed -> target_effect (0 .5 .:cool: (-6 -6 -6) (6 6 6) fire explode smoke debris gore lowgrav
==============
*/

–snip–

line 979

if(cent->currentState.eventParm & 1)	// fire
	{
	}

looks to me like nerve never merged this part of the sp code into their mp codebase. is this something you guys here at splashdamage are capable of getting re-implemented in the mp side of things for the mapping community?

all the code is in the SP version, which i don’t have on hand here at work. if you’re doing any type of code maintenance, id assume you’d probably have that kind of stuff anyway.

thoughts?

.jer