[Performance] Performance drop with Ambient Occlusion enabled

(Kairus) #1

It appears that enabling Ambient Occlusion leads to a very, very large frame rate drop. I had everything on high/enabled (except VSync), and I enabled ambient occlusion, without moving, looking at a relatively open area, and my frames dropped from 155-170 fps to 57-59 fps.

That definitely doesn’t seem right, and it adds a noticeable amount of input lag (I have a 120hz monitor, so I’ve gotten used to about ~5-8ms, and 16ms makes mouse movement kind of floaty).

I’ve got an i7 @ 4.2ghz, and a gtx 580, so it seems odd that ambient occlusion would result in such a large frame rate…

(master[mind]) #2

Your not the only one. The ambient occlusion wasn’t implemented right or something…I tested it multiple times. My framerate drops from 140 to 30, BUT, there is no visual difference between on and off whatsoever. That’s a bug that will hopefully be fixed in the first patch. That and not being able to use Soft Particles and Advanced Post-Processing…

(Hyrage) #3

Me too…
I pass from 116 to 55 and really can’t find what effect was added or removed yet.