Brink Coverage: Storm Before the Storm Edition

(badman) #1

A new story entry has been added:
[drupal=798]Brink Coverage: Storm Before the Storm Edition[/drupal]

Brink is very nearly almost here and we’ve got the very latest coverage from around the internet for you. Thanks to Brink’s impending release, this round-up is particularly massive, which makes it the perfect thing to sift through this weekend. Let’s get started!
First up, our good friend Daniel Ilabaca and his chums of The Brink Parkour Tour 2010 have put together a fantastic video mixing Daniel’s acrobatics with actual SMART footage from Brink. You can catch it via the embed below - it’s really well done, so be sure to watch it.

Meanwhile, over on IGN, the man behind Container City, Dave Johnston (who, incidentally, also created the insanely popular de_dust for Counter-Strike), sheds light on designing Container City. Lead Designer Neil Alphonso and Media Director Richard Jolly are also on hand to chime in, and it even includes an interesting factoid about Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory’s Goldrush.
Elsewhere, Brink’s Creative Director Richard Ham sits down with GameSpot and shares his top three tips for How Not to Die in Brink. It’s just the thing to watch while you wait for the game to come out!
In entirely German news, Bethesda recently organised a community event over in Frankfurt and invited a whole bunch of our German fans along with yours truly. The day was spent playing a lot of Brink and at the end of it, everyone walked away with a copy of the game. The ELS’s SiruS was one of the guys who got to go and put together a great video feature of the event, getting people’s reactions after and even including an interview with yours truly (albeit in German).
In addition to all the previews and interviews listed later in this post, we do want to call out Bethblog’s fan Q&A with Paul Wedgwood. Among other things, Paul confirms that Brink will be getting the full statistics website treatment, with more details coming soon.
Finally, both 1UP and Wired Controller list Brink as one of their top games to keep an eye out for this summer!
Check out the rest of the recent online coverage below:
Previews & Impressions

[ul]
[li] ESL [/li]> [li] Planet Xbox 360 [/li]> [li] Cliffyb3 [/li]> [li] Eurogamer [/li]> [/ul]
Interviews

[ul]
[li]Paul Wedgwood on Bethblog [/li]> [li]Paul Wedgwood on Computer & Video Games [/li]> [li]Olivier Leonardi on IGN [/li]> [li]Olivier Leonardi on Gameplanet.co.nz [/li]> [li]Chris Sweetman on Games On Net [/li]> [li]Steve Hessel on VG Revolution [/li]> [/ul]

(St NickelStew) #2

I wish my German were a little better!
Mehr als “Leute”, “spielen”, und “zwanzig”.

But it is interesting to note how many English words have found their way into German gaming conversation. “Complex”. “Shooter”. “Multiplayer”. “Console”.

Unfortunately not much new footage, but good German practice. :slight_smile:

The ELS’s SiruS was one of the guys who got to go and put together a great video feature of the event, getting people’s reactions after and even including an interview with yours truly (albeit in German).

(TJskwared) #3

i hope that title means what i think it means! :smiley:

(DouglasDanger) #4

A storm of links before the storm of reviews and whatnot after the game releases… that is is my guess.

(Nail) #5

“Engineers carry a fiery “Pyro Mine” explosive that can be placed and used to heat things up a bit.”

new to me

(TAPETRVE) #6

@NickeStew: Need a translation?

(Gray Fox) #7

great video cant wait for the game!

(KZV) #8

Ability to rival mirror’s edge in parkour-ness: achieved:stroggbanana::stroggbanana::stroggbanana:

(shedim) #9

The German article is basically a rant about how the author won a Brink preview tournament.
Most inportant stuff translated from EUROGAMER as far as I remember:

-Brink requires you to think outside the box. Thanks to the SMART system enemies can engage you from various directions and even though you can engage people head-on, it’s a better idea to flank people using alternative paths, especially in order to avoid chokepoints. Assaulting a strong defended position head-on will most likely result in certain death.
-Melee attacks are cool and feel balanced overall. If you knock somebody down with the rifle that guy can start shooting you, if he got the perk.
-You don’t get kills, you get XP and it’s all about who gets the most XP in this game. The Medic is slightly better for getting XP because you don’t need to know the map, you can just heal/revive people everywhere. Soldier, Operative and Engineer are also very important classes, but they struggle to keep pace with the Medic’s XP gain, especially if you don’t know the map.
-Abilities recharge slowly, so you can’t spam support stuff to abuse XP gain.
-Soldiers are extremely important, since you’ll need a lot of ammo.
-The maps are awesome, offer a lot of variety and encourage you to look for alternative paths.
-You’ll notice when you hit people, now. He didn’t mention how, so maybe visual effects/sound or both. If you hit somebody, you’ll know.
-You’ll need a LOT of ammo to kill incapacitated people.
-BUG! If you get killed while performing some parcours-move, your corpse sometimes gets teleported around and finally appears somewhere nearby. The Devs are working on this, though.
-While Brink is fun from start, you need to play it quite a lot to get the best experience, as you discover more and more alternative paths, strategies and how to perform best as your class. You won’t dominate as easy as in CoD or similar games. People, who want to wtfpwn early might be discouraged pretty fast, especially if you are a lone wolf.

That’s it. Can’t wait to get that game :smiley: