Plausibility of BRINK as a competitive gaming title.

(Arcadizz1e) #1

copy and pasted from bethedsa forums as advised

Hello!

I’m representing a handful of competitive gamers who are interested in whether BRINK could potentially take off as a tournament game. For anyone who knows anything about competitive games we currently consist of players who have competed or are currently competing for organisations such as Team-Coolermaster, Infused.Tt eSports and The Last Resort. Collectively we have competed at the top of the European Team Fortress 2/Counter-Strike: Source/Call of Duty 4/Quake III scenes and won thousands of pounds in prize money.

We have recently become very interested in BRINK as it seems to combine a variety of aspects that we all enjoy. However we have seen a number of multi-player titles fail miserably on a competitive level for a variety of reasons.

Admittedly we have not read all or watched all the developer interviews so something may have been covered already but we would like to ask the following questions to help us gauge the probability of a competitive community being established.
We would be delighted if anyone could help us but obviously a Dev response would be fantastic

• Will the game have a demo feature for us to review games we have previously played? (This is important because it allows cheat accusations to be reviewed in games where no admin is present, it also allows people to submit plays to be edited for frag movies which is a fairly key aspect of competitive games) If so what features will it offer? smoothing, free look, chase came etc.

*Will the game be easily customizable in order to achieve a high stable frame rate? (This is important because it helps even the playing field and remove any advantage a player with a good PC might have over a player with a bad PC)

*Will it be easy to customize game types/restrict certain weapons etc? (It is important to remove/minimize random aspects of the game or weapons not in the interest of competitive play)

*Will there be a map editor or mod engine available? (These help enlarge the competitive map pool and tweak existing maps for comp play whilst the ability to mod the game means the community can add essential comp features you have left out.

*Will you be sponsoring/supporting online/offline tournaments to kick start the scene, like the majority of competitive developers/publishers?

Thank you very much!

(Nail) #2

1: use fraps

2: buy a decent rig if ya wanna be a pro

3: wuss, can’t dodge a rocket ?

4: what SD maps not good enuff ?

5: get a job, earn ur money

:wink:
Hi welcome to the forums, have a tapir

:stroggtapir:

these are all questions that have been asked for months if not years, still waiting to hear back

(Diablo85) #3

Good luck getting an answer. Like Nail said this has been asked before and no answer has been given yet. :frowning:

(Arcadizz1e) #4

hahaha! good troll

(tokamak) #5

Was writing an entire answer until I read post #2. It’s a bit conceited for a first post so you’re already starting off on the wrong foot.

(Trivve) #6

Sadly, with only 3 weeks until release there have been little to no information regarding competitive play.

That includes:

• SDK (modding)
  • Clan and tournament support
  • Recording and playback of demos
  • Tweaking and balancing to better suit competitive gameplay
  • A TV client for broadcasting matches like HLTV/ETTV

Seeing Splash Damage’s former titles many people takes for granted (including myself) that there will be an SDK, competitive support, TV client etc. But I’m still kinda worried when we are just 3 weeks away from release and still no word.

My guess is that it will come an SDK after release when they realize how many people want’s it.
Which is not too good. To use Call of Duty: Black Ops as an example, mod tools were promised and now 6 months after release we finally seem to get them so that us the community can create a competitive match mod for those people who still (duh!) wan’t to enjoy it on a proper competitive level.

I really do hope I’m wrong. :slight_smile:

(Cankor) #7

No info except for Dev comments like “Brink will be our most customizable game yet”, add that to the fact that SD has it’s roots in competitive gaming and there is lots of room to be optimistic.

(trigg3r) #8

as has been mentioned, all those question has been asked before, but still no response.
Personally, the only one of those i’m really interested in getting an answer is demo recording.

Also, why is it that every competitive player that show up here feel the urge to let us know that they have won a bunch of tournaments and money?

(Nail) #9

street cred

:wink:

(obliviondoll) #10

Just so you can see the important reason why your post wasn’t relevant, tok (my answer to the OP is on the BethSoft forums)

(.Chris.) #11

Nothing has been confirmed yet but considering the game is using a modified ET:QW engine which did contain demo recording then hopefully we will get it in Brink, although the lack of confirmation either way is slightly worrying.

Yes to a certain extent, we don’t yet know how much we can disable and stuff.

They claim it will be their most customisable game yet in regards to server options and such.

As with demo recording, nothing confirmed yet but is likely. I’m a mapper myself and really would like to see tools!

Up to Bethesda.

I don’t get why answering these questions was such a problem for some of the previous replies. It’s not like you came across like other comp players have in the past filled with hate and whine.

(JeP) #12

Can’t we have a thread listing new topics and interesting interventions ? That shouldn’t be too long to do and I’m sure that’d save lots of time for a lot of people (and stealthier for lurkers at work).

I’m getting quite tired of having to filter through so many clone threads…

(.Chris.) #13

[QUOTE=JeP;280607]Can’t we have a thread listing new topics and interesting interventions ? That shouldn’t be too long to do and I’m sure that’d save lots of time for a lot of people (and stealthier for lurkers at work).

I’m getting quite tired of having to filter through so many clone threads…[/QUOTE]

They was one question that hasn’t been asked before at least…

(SuperWaz) #14

Let’s be honest. If the devs would be more vocal in answering the questions that they’re getting asked, there would be alot less of these threads.

(JeP) #15

And I think making 4 threads on the same topic will have good chances to cloud the message… I don’t see really why they would more answer questions ask ten times.

(Arcadizz1e) #16

[QUOTE=.Chris.;280603]Nothing has been confirmed yet but considering the game is using a modified ET:QW engine which did contain demo recording then hopefully we will get it in Brink, although the lack of confirmation either way is slightly worrying.

Yes to a certain extent, we don’t yet know how much we can disable and stuff.

They claim it will be their most customisable game yet in regards to server options and such.

As with demo recording, nothing confirmed yet but is likely. I’m a mapper myself and really would like to see tools!

Up to Bethesda.

I don’t get why answering these questions was such a problem for some of the previous replies. It’s not like you came across like other comp players have in the past filled with hate and whine.[/QUOTE]

Fantastic answer thank you.

Thanks to everyone else who posted useful stuff as well.

And the reason we post loads of achievements is to make us look pro and try and get the devs to take us seriously rather than to brag if you get me :slight_smile:

(NeoRussia) #17

The use of the in game console is allowed according to FAQ. Since the game runs on the tech 4 engine, things such as recording demos, FPS configs, and custom server executables should be ready available unless the developers hide these features which I doubt they will. Modding tools should be released sometime after although the options that come with the game should be enough until then. I’m not an ET player so I can’t say if tournaments are going to be developer-sponsored, but it’s worth taking a look at if this was true with past SD games.

(Leki) #18

Does worry me about the PC version not having these features as so many good games/Devs have got a bad case a consolitis lately. When a Dev never says anything about these types of features its usually because the game wont have them :frowning:

I’m not going to cancel my pre-order as SD are one of my favorite devs and there previous games have been feature rich for this type of thing.

But i wont be recommending the game to my friends until some info about the PC version is known… If the PC version has all these features why wouldn’t they let us know? I dont see how refusing to give PC gamers any info so close to release is going to help them?

(Nail) #19

it amuses them to watch people beg

truth is, it amuses the hell out of me as well

(coolstory) #20

[QUOTE=Nail;280872]it amuses them to watch people beg

truth is, it amuses the hell out of me as well[/QUOTE]

who’s begging? I didn’t know asking questions = begging…