Unlocking/leveling and competitive BRINK

(Diablo85) #1

In ET and ET:QW all unlocks you got while gaining XP where disabled in competitive play to create a level playing field. In BRINK this obviously won’t be possible since the unlocks are persistant and there is a level up system.

Will there be a cvar or another option that will allow competitive players to instantly be at the highest level and have everything unlocked? Else every competitive player would be forced to grind their character on public servers to be able to compete in a level playing field. Doubt they would like that very much…

(Humate) #2

Yes, levelling should have no impact in competitive stopwatch matches.
I suggested in another thread, that players should be able to create a temp character for their comp matches, where the rulesets dictate what perks and weapons they can use.

(Diablo85) #3

Yea that sounds like a good idea. And only allow those in match servers.

Can any developer please comment if something like this will be in BRINK?

(Schwarzeis) #4

Do we know how the unlock system works yet?

Is it:

Guns for leveling
Clothing for leveling + bonus clothing for challenges
Attachments for leveling and challenges

or is it

Guns for challenges
Clothing for leveling
Attachments for challenges

(PariahDog) #5

I’m thinking the game is not going to be comp ready out of the box. Probably going to take a “pro” mod to address it.

Raw speculation since they haven’t dropped any hints what they are doing regards to comp play.

(Linsolv) #6

I’ve heard both, and any different levels in between. I’m dying to hear clarification on that point.

(coolstory) #7

[QUOTE=PariahDog;274006]I’m thinking the game is not going to be comp ready out of the box. Probably going to take a “pro” mod to address it.
[/QUOTE]

I hope that doesn’t happen. It’s gonna reduce the size of Brink’s comp scene.
Maybe SD balanced the “unlocks”?

(Bridger) #8

[QUOTE=Humate;273814]Yes, levelling should have no impact in competitive stopwatch matches.
I suggested in another thread, that players should be able to create a temp character for their comp matches, where the rulesets dictate what perks and weapons they can use.[/QUOTE]

That’s a great idea. When you join a server in “competition” mode it grants you a temporary level 20 character that will not transport over to any other servers and be deleted when you leave. Hope there is something to solve this problem at launch so we don’t have to wait for mods to take care of it.

(H0RSE) #9

Something tells me you’re gonna have to wait for mods.

(Exedore) #10

[QUOTE=Schwarzeis;273996]Guns for challenges
Clothing for leveling
Attachments for challenges[/QUOTE]
this
:penguin:

(JeP) #11

Plus abilities points through leveling up, and new range of abilities when you rank up, I think ?

(Mustkunstn1k) #12

[QUOTE=Exedore;274144]this
:penguin:[/QUOTE]
Why isn’t the leveling system longer? I mean Brink has definetly many clothing items etc. The system itself could easily be extended to keep more players hooked for a longer time and also make sure that they are teamplayers because they have a reason to earn xp.

(tokamak) #13

You have absolutely no idea how long it will take to reach level 20.

(Mustkunstn1k) #14

Even if it takes long it still isn’t the optimal solution because then it takes a while to get to the next level and there is too much space.

People like when there are constantly little things coming. Right now you get an ability with every level I think. But you also get things like body type, clothes etc with levels. They could easily make like 60 levels with an ability after every 3 levels and clothing items with other levels.

And so far they have kind of hinted that it doesn’t take that long… These are indeed assumptions, that’s why I am asking for more information.

(DarkangelUK) #15

Has it been confirmed that unlocks happen ONLY on rank up? Could ge XP value triggers rather than ranked.

(tokamak) #16

[QUOTE=Mustkunstn1k;274194]Even if it takes long it still isn’t the optimal solution because then it takes a while to get to the next level and there is too much space.
[/QUOTE]
The amount of stuff you can get remains the same, no matter the rate at which you get it. I really don’t see your problem.

(JeP) #17

Problem seems to be : not unlocking something everey 5 minutes you play.

Personnally, I prefere 20 levels that means something (with each 5 level you rank up, roughly), instead of 60 that don’t.

(tokamak) #18

Yeah but Must****n1k wants it both ways, he wants to be handed over marbles as frequently as possible and as long as possible.

(JeP) #19

Well, devs seem to say that first levels are quick to earn, you have 10 characters, the possibility to level down… I think you can easily level up often and indefinitely :smiley:

(Schwarzeis) #20

[QUOTE=Exedore;274144]this
:penguin:[/QUOTE]

Exedore, will you guys award clothing items for challenges? Becuase if not, then there will not be these ‘‘exotic guys’’ you’ve talked about before :confused:

And thanks for confirmation, Exedore! :smiley: